Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,026,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
Well the temp job was for coverage for an employee that was out on FMLA. I got the job about 2 months into the employees FMLA time. When I started my first day, they told me the employee had already returned to work from FMLA, she came back early. So technically I'm here not covering for anyone.
So what is is that you are doing, if you were supposed to fill in for someone who isn't out on leave now?

In any case, no way would I pass up a full time permanent job (to the extent any job is actually permanent, of course) for a temp assignment. In some cases, you might be able to trigger the current offer into an offer for a perm job where you are (I had a company create a new position for me when I told them I was going to leave a long term temp assignment once). But if you've only been there a few days, they probably don't feel invested enough for that yet.

Are you working through an agency or directly with the company? If an agency, call your contact there and let them know. They are getting well paid to manage the relationship with the company so they can deal with being the one to break the news to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 02:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,289,173 times
No need to give notice for temp jobs.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,362,118 times
Wait until background check is complete for the Full Time job. In fact, wait until you start work at the full-time job. Sometimes jobs fall through at the last minute due to budgets and last minute hiring freezes.

What if you quit the temp job but the full-time job falls through?

Old 11-21-2018, 03:05 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,769,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
i just think it’s crummy and unprofessional not to give them some notice to get a replacement if she has the ability to.
Reality check.

When was the last time anybody got fired with two weeks notice? When the employer fires you, you get walked out the door right then.

OP owes the temp agency and the client nothing.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,530,502 times
If the company that is giving you a new, full-time job, values and respects you, they will allow you to fulfill your obligation to your current employer, regardless of it being a temporary position. That will also demonstrate to your new employer, that you take responsibility for your obligations. If it's important that you start your new job as soon as possible, perhaps just one week of notice to the temporary employer will be enough.

But openly and fully discuss the situation with both employers and you will probably be able to come to a compromise agreement, that will be satisfactory to all concerned. Who knows, maybe your temporary employer thinks so highly of your potential and your responsible approach to this situation, that they will make a counter-offer of a full-time job, that will be even better than the other one you planned to take?

Don't overlook the future possibilities of working for your temporary employer again and leave with no burned-bridges behind you.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 PM

48,280 posts, read 34,402,478 times
Talk to the Temp Employer and explain the situation. Most jobs understand if you cannot start for two weeks, and it shows you are a considerate employee. It should be easy to work out without burning any bridges.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 AM

3,004 posts, read 2,319,423 times
OP, it sounds like you're in training. That being the case, the best thing to do is to leave immediately. You'll get the job you want, and they won't waste any more time training someone who's leaving.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:16 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,521,125 times
Always remember they can walk you out with just enough notice to get personal articles from your desk and not a second more. Just do a resignation letter stating you are resigning effective immediately and bounce after handing it to your manager. It is not like you are a manager who has worked there for 10 years in the middle of a huge project.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:50 AM

38,619 posts, read 22,612,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would just tell them I found full time employment and leave.
^^^ This right here.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,145,634 times
The temp job you are still in training mode. Why would the temp job employer want to continue with you in training mode if you are going to be leaving. Inform your temp agency, they will probably not have you go back anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment