Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 03:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Resumes are screened by BS automated filters looking for "keywords"
Some are. Some aren’t. It doesn’t really matter if they are for the purposes of this conversation. Ultimately a resume is seen by human eyes, and the person reviewing it will make a judgment on skills, experience and education.

Quote:
and not to mention the connected can just bypass all that nonsense all together and have they resumes thrown right to the top of the stack while others have to suffer.
Nobody said that life was fair, and “the connected” are usually connected because of skills and experience, which is exactly what should be screened for.

Quote:
Ive seen this in action tooo many times to count.
I believe it is an established fact that you aren’t in a senior, or even a middling position of authority. Although you imply a breadth of experience, you don’t actually have any.

Quote:
More corporate apologist nonsense coming from you. No surprise.
How am I apologizing for corporations? How are my statements nonsense? I am simply explaining facts. You may not like them, but nonetheless they are facts. Your post is once again free of any content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 04:23 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
In the past, you could be a former felon who had been out of work for two years after being out of jail, yet, if you could demonstrate your competence, you'd get hired.

Now, they want to know about:

1.) Your gaps
2.) Your references (even for some low-level jobs!)
3.) Your credit history
4.) Your criminal history (even getting a felony for shooting an endangered animal in college could hurt you at age 50)
5.) Your social security number (sometimes)
6.) Your salary range (but they don't have to provide theirs!)
7.) Your last job's pay (But they don't have to tell you what they paid the last guy before you!)
8.) Your race, gender, etc (though some of that is thanks to stupid government regulations)
9.) Your social media history (which they look up, even if they don't ask for it, though I've heard some actually DO ask for it outright.)

And some will yammer that it's their right to do that as the boss and if you don't like it, look elsewhere, but I must ask, if they didn't need all of these things in the past to make good hires and the economy didn't collapse to the level of anarchy without them, then suddenly why is it "the price of getting a job" to go through all of this crap? What made it suddenly necessary?

Have things changed or are employers just turning into spying, judgmental, nitpicking little Nazis?
Besides the drug tests and the tests they want you to take before you can even be considered for a job as other people here mentioned, they also want to know if you're on TANF or food stamps.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:26 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
In the past, you could be a former felon who had been out of work for two years after being out of jail, yet, if you could demonstrate your competence, you'd get hired.

1.) Your gaps
3.) Your credit history
4.) Your criminal history (even getting a felony for shooting an endangered animal in college could hurt you at age 50)
7.) Your last job's pay (But they don't have to tell you what they paid the last guy before you!)
8.) Your race, gender, etc (though some of that is thanks to stupid government regulations)
9.) Your social media history (which they look up, even if they don't ask for it, though I've heard some actually DO ask for it outright.)

And some will yammer that it's their right to do that as the boss and if you don't like it, look elsewhere, but I must ask, if they didn't need all of these things in the past to make good hires and the economy didn't collapse to the level of anarchy without them, then suddenly why is it "the price of getting a job" to go through all of this crap? What made it suddenly necessary?

Have things changed or are employers just turning into spying, judgmental, nitpicking little Nazis?
Give them everything they ask for for your first job. American corporations have become spoiled by the availability of labor from abroad.

Here are my responses based on your listing
1. They want to know if you've been fired
2. References have always been required
3. Credit history is requested to see if you exercise good judgment.
4. They want to know if you are violent, in which case they may seat you outside of the bosses office in case the old prick needs protection in an illegal firing.
5. SS numbers should be on a need to know purpose.
6. They want to know what you want to be paid. you should be telling them this anyway.
7. They play games with this one. It's a way to suppress salaries.
8. Illegal question - politely decline to answer that
9. I've never had a face book account. If you can create one for business purposes and one for interactions with friends. Protect both accounts as well as possible. You don't want a prospective boss to know the last time that you passed out on Captain Jack. Do the same with email.

Remember, these ass holes are looking for reasons to import a plane load of coders from India for less than you spent in the Hamptons last weekend. Play their game your way.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 11-22-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 11-22-2018, 05:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
Because now it is extremely difficult and legally risky to fire someone. In the "past" to which you refer, the boss or foreman could simply get rid of a problem employee with few repercussions.

I'm married to a hiring manager, and what they're trying to discover is: a) can the person do the work, and b) are they going to be a troublemaker or malcontent. They need to know this in advance, because they could end up spending months and a lot of headaches jumping through the legal/EEOC/etc. hoops to get rid of a problem employee.

For several years, I worked on a semi-submersible pipelay vessel that was registered in Liberia, owned by a Canadian company, run by an office in Scotland, and moored in the Netherlands. Except for entering/leaving port, we worked entirely in international waters. There were NO laws/statutes governing who could be hired, no affirmative action, no FMLA or sick time, and the termination process was one sentence: "You're fired. Get the hell off my boat." I watched it happen more than once and even heard the foreman fire a crane operator over the radio. It still remains one of the best places I've ever worked. There were felons, reformed druggies, vagabonds who couldn't go back to the US, and even one mercenary (he split the year between us and Angola). No background checks, no drug tests, no credit checks. Just, did the foreman want you or not. You arrive at your post on time, you work your ass off, or you're gone. I loved it.

If you want to return to those halcyon days without all the scrutiny of applicants, then get rid of EEOC, FMLA, FLSA and all the other laws protecting workers from firing.

I'm willing -- are you?
The flag you fly will determine the laws you are under, if you fly no flag then you have no legal protections if someone shows up more heavily armed than you and simply takes your boat. The owners are taking a HUGE risk. You essentially become a stateless vessel if you fly no flag.

Also the USA has the WEAKEST employment laws out of any industrialized nation. I dont want to go back to the good ole days where some forman that eats rocks for breakfast and is spitting chew out of his mouth as he screams and yells holds my future in his hands. Sorry.

Unless the pay is basicly NET 300k plus and I can retire in a few years. MOST people dont want to live like this for any length of time and the pay out has to be HUGE, otherwise your just an idiot.

You get one life and if you want to take orders from a knuck dragging neandrathal spitting out his chew on some boat in the middle of nowhere, shouting on the radio that your fired for peanuts then go for it lol.

I would rather be on the side pointing a gun at him saying this is no longer your boat lol.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Some are. Some aren’t. It doesn’t really matter if they are for the purposes of this conversation. Ultimately a resume is seen by human eyes, and the person reviewing it will make a judgment on skills, experience and education.

Nobody said that life was fair, and “the connected” are usually connected because of skills and experience, which is exactly what should be screened for.

I believe it is an established fact that you aren’t in a senior, or even a middling position of authority. Although you imply a breadth of experience, you don’t actually have any.

How am I apologizing for corporations? How are my statements nonsense? I am simply explaining facts. You may not like them, but nonetheless they are facts. Your post is once again free of any content.
You are a corporate apologist though, it comes through on all of your posts. You fear the law being used against you where you cant use your corporate veil to protect you.

Corporations would sell out anyone to make a buck, they dont care about the environment, social stability, the nations they operate in, etc. But yet they represent a significant portion of the US economy and available job opportunities and that is a HUGE problem, they actively work to lobby for laws in their favor and try to squelch any activity to contrary by ballot measures or other political processes. They conduct mass lay offs even though they are solvent and making money.

Corporations have created this antagonstic atmosphere and the conflict will only escalate. The police state that works for the corporations is the only reason we dont see more radical behavior. The little guy knows that he cant wage asemetric warfare and succeed so eveyone is buying time.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
So, if someone Isn't angry or bitter about having a job, that makes them a corporate apologist?

Old 11-22-2018, 06:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I will agree that corporations have no incentive to be benevolent, and in many cases actively work against the best results for society. If you really follow my posts, you will see that I am an advocate for universal health insurance, a stronger voice for labor, higher capital gains taxes, and I am pro-union, among other things.

That doesn’t mean that I am blind to the way the world works. I try to provide an experienced opinion that might actually help people. You can rant against the evils of corporations and misrepresent the hiring process if you like, my goal is to educate people and give them the information they need to make informed decisions about the work world.

So please tell me how pointing out how Dorianro is ignorant of hiring practices makes me a corporate apologist.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:38 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times
Quote:

1.) Your gaps
3.) Your credit history

they are selling your personal information. Big scam, sadly

Old 11-22-2018, 08:01 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Resumes are screened by BS automated filters looking for "keywords" and not to mention the connected can just bypass all that nonsense all together and have they resumes thrown right to the top of the stack while others have to suffer. Ive seen this in action tooo many times to count.

More corporate apologist nonsense coming from you. No surprise.
Based on your postings, you've seen nothing, because if you were in the position to be hiring people you wouldn't post such baseless rubbish about how hiring people, promotions and actual inter-workings of business.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:02 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So do enlighten me, which jobs in the past did not care if you had a felony on your record?
Mafia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment