Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times

Advertisements

Only first 3 paragraphs included in post, due to copyright rules.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...126-story.html

Quote:
General Motors will cut up to 14,000 workers in North America and put five plants up for possible closure as it abandons many of its car models and restructures to focus more on autonomous and electric vehicles, the automaker announced Monday.

The reductions could amount to as much as 8 percent of GM's global workforce of 180,000 employees.

The restructuring reflects changing North American auto markets as manufacturers continue to shift away from cars toward SUVs and trucks. In October, almost 65 percent of new vehicles sold in the U.S. were trucks or SUVs. That figure was about 50 percent cars just five years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 06:20 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Upper management punishes the rank and file that do their bidding for the mistakes of the upper management.

Personal responsibility for thee but not for me, is their motto.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Only first 3 paragraphs included in post, due to copyright rules.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...126-story.html
only 1 paragraph there... hitting enter for line breaks doesnt make a single sentence a paragraph. and making it a long sentence doesnt either. i got issues with the newspaper writer for being in a field where they write but cant form paragraphs

you could copy entire article and only have three real paragraphs, no copyright issues

at least if trucks and suv take over, more people will learn to be their own mechanics

Old 11-26-2018, 07:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Upper management punishes the rank and file that do their bidding for the mistakes of the upper management.

I am probably going to be slammed for defending crony capitalism and corporate America on this one. That isn’t my intent, and to get it out of the way, I think that GM has been mismanaged for a few decades now.

Having gotten that out of the way, what do you suggest be done? The auto market is mature, decline in one company is matched in another, so if GM is closing plants and laying off people, this is matched by other companies opening or expanding plants and hiring people.

Given that GM’s market share has demonstrably shrunk, should they keep their factories open and people employed, running into the red until paychecks start bouncing? If you don’t support that, do we implement protections to restrict competition and guarantee market share to companies? How would thateben work?

I think that this is tragic news. I grew up in a GM town, and I know how this will crush many peoples lives. I simply don’t see any alternatives.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:03 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
GM "jumped the shark" when they became Government Motors.
GM is like the old Univac. some other company will lead the way.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:09 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
It's sad but just a nature of the business.

It's happened before, people's tastes change, and current models no longer sell so they have to drop it and do something else.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
only 1 paragraph there... hitting enter for line breaks doesnt make a single sentence a paragraph. and making it a long sentence doesnt either. i got issues with the newspaper writer for being in a field where they write but cant form paragraphs
If you're going to criticize other people's grammar, at least try to use capitalization and punctuation in your post.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
I can understand the demand is just not there, business declines, so you have to offset that somehow. But Im willing to bet none of the executives slashed their ridiculous pay or bonuses in the process due to declining business.

That said, why do so many people want gas guzzler vehicles? When gas sky rockets again, they will regret it

Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
If you're going to criticize other people's grammar, at least try to use capitalization and punctuation in your post.
not my job don't get paid to write, the newspaper writers do

Old 11-26-2018, 10:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

That's the American way, easy too punish rank and file while the management keeps patting themselves on the back for taking care of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment