Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:43 AM

18 posts, read 15,256 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am new to these forums. Let me start out by asking my question.

Will a non-complicated regular DUI conviction destroy my chances at getting white-collar desk jobs in offices?Will I be able to get a new job when the time comes?

I have no prior record or anything else on my record. I have almost 10 years of experience. I have a college degree and now a DUI Conviction .

It was a simple case, no one was hurt, nothing was damaged. It was just me making a horrible/bad decision to get behind the wheel while impaired. I regret it and want to make good with society for it. I feel really bad about it too.

I am thankful no one got hurt and nothing got damaged. This means I have the ability to become a better person than I was before.

The only major concern I have now is my record... This cannot be expunged in my state.

Will I be able to get a new job when the time comes?

Please any insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I know people with drunk driving convictions who got jobs. Obviously it would disqualify you for driving jobs, even using a company car.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
How to Get a Job With a DUI Record

How To Get A Job Despite A Less-Than-Perfect Past

Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Was the conviction for DUI or were you able to plead to a lesser offense? In short, it's a minor problem to a nonissue in many cases.

I was arrested for a DUI 9/2017. The case drug on for a year and blood draw was over twice the legal limit. My attorney was able to get a plea for reckless endangerment. TN doesn't allow "DUI" to be expunged, but lesser "related" convictions, like reckless driving or reckless endangerment, can be expunged after five years. I work in IT in a back office function.

For me, it's been a nonevent. The reckless endangerment plea put eight points on my otherwise pristine license, but I was able to keep my license. My insurance, so far, has not increased and is the same as it was prior to the arrest.

I've been looking for jobs and I've seen no indication this has hurt me.

A couple things worked in my favor..

1) The arrest was about 75 miles in another county. I don't know anyone there.
2) This particular county doesn't publish a mug shots or "busted" type thing.
3) I never reported it to my employer, and they'd have to run another background check to find out. Where I am, that would be uncommon.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 AM

9,385 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Without providing specifics, I can tell you that most employers will look past a single DUI arrest, assuming you're not tasked with operating a company vehicle or transporting children or something like that. I know of several white collar professionals who have DUI arrests and have received offer after offer from white collar, corporate positions. Be up front about it, don't try and hide it as a simple background check will highlight this.

Having said that, if a 2nd DUI is obtained then it would show potential employers a pattern of behavior and likely a red flag for hire.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 PM

Hello all...

Thank you for your responses. The details of my case are below. Does this change your outlook?

I got a lawyer as my BAC was a .18... This is way high, I was charged with operating while intoxicated but it was reduced to operating while visibly impaired, I was convicted and this is on my record.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
What a shame. I know that many throw rocks but in reality, so many people have driven while intoxicated many times and it was just the luck of the draw that they did not get caught. And so many people have done worse things and haven't gotten caught.

I have no advice. Just want to say to the OP, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
We hired someone last year that had a DUI a number of years ago. She put it on the last page of her application. She is outstanding. When we made the decision to hire her, everyone saw that and just shrugged their shoulders. No biggie.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
We hired someone last year that had a DUI a number of years ago. She put it on the last page of her application. She is outstanding. When we made the decision to hire her, everyone saw that and just shrugged their shoulders. No biggie.
Thanks this gives me more hope.

I made a really bad decision to drive.... I regret it, but in the overall scheme of my life this is a minor blip.. there are no other priors or anything!!

I have near a decade of experience and love working, I don't know why but I love it.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:14 AM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy1234 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to these forums. Let me start out by asking my question.

Will a non-complicated regular DUI conviction destroy my chances at getting white-collar desk jobs in offices?Will I be able to get a new job when the time comes?

I have no prior record or anything else on my record. I have almost 10 years of experience. I have a college degree and now a DUI Conviction .

It was a simple case, no one was hurt, nothing was damaged. It was just me making a horrible/bad decision to get behind the wheel while impaired. I regret it and want to make good with society for it. I feel really bad about it too.

I am thankful no one got hurt and nothing got damaged. This means I have the ability to become a better person than I was before.

The only major concern I have now is my record... This cannot be expunged in my state.

Will I be able to get a new job when the time comes?

Please any insight would be helpful.

As a poster noted before, DUIs are not uncommon (unfortunately).

Also, few jobs actually check criminal records correct? (Or, am I wrong in your state?)

Some jobs do credit checks if it involves finance / money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment