Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 01:28 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,395,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I'm 40 and I've noticed that the people at my company get younger and younger and I'm not the only one who's noticed. My co worker who is 42 agrees. Now the VPs tend to be older - 40's, 50's and 60s. But what about the folks who never reach VP status? What happened to these workers, they just arent hirable?

I've noticed it at other companies too so I'm really wonder, what do these people do?
I have noticed this as well and totally befuddled by it. I switched careers to accounting and at most of the cpa firms I've worked at, this is the case.

The pattern I've noticed is this: staff are in their early 20s, mostly female. Managers are a little bit older, tend to be split or more males. Then above that level, all older men, with an occasional female senior manager or partner.

At one firm I was at, I was the oldest person there, male or female, other than the owner, and I was only 44! The next oldest female was in her late 20's. It is truly bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 01:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,667,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
People in their 30s and 40s have a higher level of experience combined with maturity and work ethic and thus are more COSTLY. . All strikes against them in today's corporate environment. So no.. many are either unemployed or underemployed.

Today is all about short term gains. That means cutting experience and higher salary. Employers don't think long term anymore. Just Next quarter. No one cares if the company suffers long term and goes out of business due to lack of training, education, experience just as long as next quarter looks profitable on paper due to salary/expense reduction.

Age discrimination is real. Once you hit 30 you're in rough shape unless you're well connected.
That nails it.

Young, stupid, easily cowed (and replaced) and with cheap health insurance costs win.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,720,844 times
Where I work we're getting people from 19-59...Guess they found it better to be a small cog and not visible to management.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:46 PM

4,380 posts, read 2,875,412 times
I think they move to certain offices or companies with older workers.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 2,875,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I have noticed this as well and totally befuddled by it. I switched careers to accounting and at most of the cpa firms I've worked at, this is the case.

The pattern I've noticed is this: staff are in their early 20s, mostly female. Managers are a little bit older, tend to be split or more males. Then above that level, all older men, with an occasional female senior manager or partner.

At one firm I was at, I was the oldest person there, male or female, other than the owner, and I was only 44! The next oldest female was in her late 20's. It is truly bizarre.
That’s because CPA firms mostly hire and train fresh grads who then move onto private companies or other more lucrative jobs. It’s up or out at CPA firms.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:56 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,337,384 times
Quote:
I'm 40 and I've noticed that the people at my company get younger and younger and I'm not the only one who's noticed. My co worker who is 42 agrees. Now the VPs tend to be older - 40's, 50's and 60s. But what about the folks who never reach VP status? What happened to these workers, they just arent hirable?

I've noticed it at other companies too so I'm really wonder, what do these people do?
If you want to get a real raise after you've been with the same company for a number of years, you need to go to another company. This is what people do who are smart. So even people who aren't VPs, they have moved to better paying companies. If you go into the much larger better paying companies you will see an older work force there.

Some companies, the smaller ones and medium sized ones also discourage keeping an older population on the payroll on purpose, because it increases their costs for the group health insurance. Since the employer pays part of the group health insurance premiums on behalf of the employees, the younger the average age of the group being insured the lower the costs. Very large companies generally don't engage in this, but the smaller ones do. So because of this, some companies generally have a younger work force and it was on purpose for costs for health insurance and lower compensation to the work force too.

Many years ago, when people would join a company and retire from there, the had a more diverse age group of the work force, but people rarely stay with one company their entire career for a number of years.

People in their 40s, 50s, 60s can get hired into a job in another company provided they have the skills and experience that are in demand. The people who mostly complain about not being hired at older ages are those working in lower level jobs.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:06 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,667,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People in their 40s, 50s, 60s can get hired into a job in another company provided they have the skills and experience that are in demand. The people who mostly complain about not being hired at older ages are those working in lower level jobs.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The discussions on this topic here on C-D alone are filled with highly skilled workers who can't get hired over rank novices under 30. It's a national... issue, if not crisis.

The idea that being 50 means your skills froze 30 years ago is the ignorant musing of someone whose biggest fear is getting too old for the bar scene.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:24 PM

7,901 posts, read 4,894,916 times
Again, if youre FORTUNATE to have an employer that values institutional knowledge and industry experience they will go to the extremes to keep you because they know their future DEPENDS on people like you. When its time for you to retire they will have the next crop of people lined up to learn from you and transfer some of that knowledge over.

Most places don't operate like this anymore. Again.. Its all about how the next quarter looks. 95 percent employers don't think 5-10 years down the road. They think 4-5 months. Thats it. Short-sightedd morons most are. "To hell with how we look in 10 years. I only cary about how we look at the end of the quarter and give me my 5 million dollar bonus!!!". Thats the mindset of most executives now.

I blame a lot of it on no incentive being place on the management of the companies now. What do you care how the company you are running looks in 10 years if you can nab all the loot within a year and run for the hills? Wheres the incentive? The only real incentive is for those who built the companies from the ground up. Most execs running things have no interest in that. They look at the company as their own personal piggybank just to loot as quit as possible and bounce.

1. I dont need your COSTLY experience around if Im looking to maximize my bonus in the short-term
2. I dont need your high healthcare If I am to maximize my bonus/salary in the short term
3. Who gives a crap how we look in 5-10 years? Me and my college frat cronies that I brought in when I was hired will have already made off with the loot.?

Thats the mentality.

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-08-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 06:29 PM

6,432 posts, read 7,723,450 times
Well, they're not all homeless so I'd guess that they do work.

I'm a manager. Most of my staff is over 30. But when some resign (or otherwise), I do tend to go with a younger person - depending on certain factors. Someone in their late 20's with a few yrs experience is perfect. They are more energetic, ambitious, adaptable to change, progressive, etc. than older people. I am in my mid 40's, in a well known and prestigious org with 2 different depts reporting to me. I have not experienced the poor qualities people talk of regarding millenials. Most all young people I've interviewed have been sharp. But I'm in Boston and get people with degrees from MIT, Boston U, Harvard, Boston College, etc. And those who don't have a degree from places like that are competing with those who do so it elevates their game.

I must say however, when I look around the floor of my building at different departments, I do see that most are younger. But they're all bright.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:07 PM

15,582 posts, read 7,465,657 times
Quote:

You've noticed a trend ...

Labor Force Participation and the Young

"The first two figures below show the evolution of the labor force participation rates of men and women ages 15-24. In both figures, the trends across countries are clear: Labor force participation of both young men and women has been declining.
<snip>
Aging also played a role, as the share of the population between ages 25 to 54 (the group with the highest level of labor force participation) experienced a larger-than-average drop."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment