Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:43 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If the baby dies, how is this affected?

Specifically asking about a baby that died at two weeks. Mom is now expected to come back much sooner than otherwise. It was explained that she can’t take maternity leave for a baby no longer iwith us.

Personally, I think she should hire an attorney and blast the employer publicly, but I’m too close to the situation to think as rationally as normal.
This employer is beyond the pale! I would even take up a collection amongst coworkers to pay for some of her hardships, including an attorney, as you suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,776,449 times
In this persons case, she may not have a good case. They have been fighting for this since 2014

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...702-story.html

"Most of the time, people say their employers have been pretty understanding, but there are also the employees who say their employers have been, 'Get back to work or your job is gone,'" said Farley, who also runs grievingdads.com and the @GrievingDads Twitter. "I recently talked to someone who lost a child, and the employer's comment was, 'The war goes on, and I need you back to work sooner than later.'"

Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 PM

9,872 posts, read 14,104,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Bad example. She wouldn't have been on maternity leave if the child was 3 and she wouldn't have had to recover from the birth which takes at least 3 months.

Did you see the follow-up post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I suspect finances are the motivating factor (on both sides, really...) Maternity was paid leave, FMLA may not be. Weeks of NICU aren't cheap...nor are funerals...I think that they did plan unexpected medical costs, not so much that + loss of income.

It seems the mother can certainly get the time off; but wants it to be paid time off. My guess is that the company pays for maternity bonding time; which (unfortunately) is not the case here. She still can get FMLA time off to heal from the birth.

This is a horrible situation, and I do feel for all involved. But it sounds like they want to use Maternity leave benefits for bereavement leave. These aren't the same thing and can't be exchanged.

Last edited by spencgr; 12-12-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Did you see the follow-up post?

It seems the mother can certainly get the time off; but wants it to be paid time off. My guess is that the company pays for maternity bonding time; which (unfortunately) is not the case here. She still can get FMLA time off to heal from the birth.

This is a horrible situation, and I do feel for all involved. But it sounds like they want to use Maternity leave benefits for bereavement leave. These aren't the same thing and can't be exchanged.
I get what you're saying. It's a hairy situation for HR to sort out, but I think it's something they do need to sort out. If not for the sake of being a good employer, at least to avoid the bad PR. Amend the bereavement policy to include pay for minors under 18 if you need to. Raid the employee hardship fund. Arrange for a one-time bonus or lay her off and re-hire her with a signing bonus and future start date or something.

Another thing to consider here is this: parental leave is usually proven simply by a birth certificate. You don't have to prove that your child is still living, or that you didn't give it up for adoption, or that some other person doesn't have custody. I think a skilled lawyer might be able to argue that she is being treated differently than other employees who took leave.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,233,098 times
Unfortunately, as others have explained, this wouldn't qualify as maternity leave for FMLA. Other medical leave could be applied for, but FMLA isn't necessarily paid.

That said, how is maternity leave written up by the employer? Maternity leave may be an employee benefit that is separate/different from FMLA.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,066,767 times
I believe you said this is mostly monetary for her, so my two cents, tell her to take the FMLA unpaid and start a GFM (not sure if I can spell it out). At least she can recover physically. Or maybe she can work something out with her employer about her hours or working from home to keep some of her income. It's not ideal, but you know what, none of what she's dealing with is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment