Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 11:31 AM

7,712 posts, read 12,570,031 times

Advertisements

I know what you're thinking. Common knowledge right? Not so much. Today I had a great interview with a very well known international company and they were floored by the fact that I knew and could state their company's founder, CEO, the history, etc. Basic research I thought everyone did. Apparently they either never had or rarely had job seekers that knew much at all about the company besides general information pertaining to it's industry. The rest of the interview pretty much flowed from there. I don't know if maybe my age had to do with it because I am a millenial. So this could be an age-related thing. Just thought I would put this out there for anyone that this is still a vital thing to do when looking for jobs and going on interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 PM

29,458 posts, read 22,426,335 times
Yes, this is one of those basic things people should research before an interview, but I'm sure many don't.

In looking back at all my interviews from the past, it was rare that an interviewer point blank asked if I knew about the company and its history, etc.

A typical question along those lines would have been, "why do you want to work for us," or any such variations. This is where I usually gave them an answer that incorporated my basic research, about the products they produced, the growth they are experiencing, things like that.

So it can throw people for a loop if they come across an interviewer that asks directly.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM

4,886 posts, read 2,659,679 times
It is very easy to check out companies nowadays via the Internet, Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. Everyone should do it. It would be most important to research a company for yourself as well as impressing the interviewer with your knowledge. Does it measure up to your standards? Do you want to work for a company like that?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,847,070 times
That being said, I would not recommend applying to companies with little to no public information or social media activity.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,249 posts, read 80,480,482 times
Well done, and great advice! I have often said that when hiring, I want someone that wants to work for us, not just looking for any job. This is demonstrated in the interview by just what the OP has done, do the research and use facts about us in the interview. There have been cases where I hired someone whose enthusiasm for our open position showed through, while passing up people that were better qualified.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,742,370 times
I suspect you may have "Guided" the interview to that area and then showed your stuff. Or did the interviewer ask?

I have been in a few interviews where knowing some things helped, but not enough to get the job.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:03 AM

4,229 posts, read 3,142,471 times
There is no excuse for not knowing at least the basics of the company you intend to work for! As an employer who has hired thousands over the years, if nothing else, it can be a "tie breaker."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment