Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:03 AM

734 posts, read 842,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Be thankful that you have a job. There are many of us struggling, looking for work. We'd jump at the chance to do a Xmas pot luck! Even though I tend to not like those things, memories of them sure beat sitting at a computer all day looking for work, and even contributing to this forum. Adjust your perspective.
What a si*t economy if this is the mentality of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Lol, soooo true.

I wouldn't trust the food that most of those slobs create if you put a gun to my head. I'd rather gnaw my own arm off. If you can't send a simple email or do basic math, I'm guessing you don't know the basics behind cleanliness, germs and such either.

It's amazing how many people do NOT wash their hands before they eat. You think they do before they prepare your food? I'll see people at work not wash their hands after using the restroom or eating something from awhile at their desk typing away on their keyboard/phone (which apparently has more germs than a toilet seat).

Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Because it implies that you don't like them and that does not feel good. And when people are horrified at you not participating it is because they want your company, consider it a compliment.

Right or wrong, not participating sends a message that you don't like them and do not want them to know you on a personal level and that is insulting.

Best of luck.
You see these people all the time, and probably spend more time with them than your own family. Are they that insecure they are horrified by you not being present?

Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Isn't it easier to just go, bring a plate of cookies and participate? You don't have to eat anything.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I get it. I'm an introvert too and don't really enjoy these things. But the extraverts run roughshod over the world thinking everyone is like them, so you have to go along to thrive in an extravert world.
So it's okay to discriminate against introverts?

Old 12-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You are just dripping with cynicism for no reason. Bring some food, and talk with people. How is that hard to do? Come join the human race, we are all waiting for you.
As opposed to dripping with sarcasm?

This is the mentality that the OP wants to avoid, I would guess.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
"Team-building." I made a perfunctory appearance at ours this week, then snuck out to eat my own food. It's also a way to keep people from leaving the office for lunch.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Isn't it easier to just go, bring a plate of cookies and participate? You don't have to eat anything.
They'll pressure OP to eat something, and someone will probably act offended if he doesn't eat something that somebody wants him to eat.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:01 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Reading the parts in bold, I feel like to vomit and want to swear What The… These people really don't have much work to do or what? They just care so much about socializing and food. They steal the company's time. Where are the supervisors, managers, leaders, CEO, COO, etc… ? Are they okay with all this rubbish? Or maybe some of them are into this and leading it.
In many places management actively encourages this kind of activity. They want people planning the Christmas party.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
What a si*t economy if this is the mentality of people.
Yep this country is a race to the bottom and no one seems to care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment