Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 04:27 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Most Americans could use the exercise.
Went to a Costco today, spotted a parking space in the last row closest to the main road (store was jammed). I drove in and took that spot, literally the furthest row from the store entrance. A silver VW had cut me off a few blocks back and subsequently turned into Costco. They drove up/down isles looking for a spot. I walked past them while they were waiting for someone to unload their cart into their car, then to pull out of the spot.

So on busy days, you might save some time while getting exercise! Oh yeah, when it is time to leave you are the first one out of the parking lot when you park in the back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 05:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Just keep in mind the guy is working......delivery especially this time of year is insanity. Sorry your father in law was 10 minutes late for lunch but consider the big picture.

BTW no cop in the world would cite a guy doing deliveries for a parking violationy.
Yes, they could get cited. The fact that they're working is irrelevant. The laws apply to delivery people the same as everyone else.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:32 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Are you kidding? UPS doesn't even care that their drivers are INSANE maniacs, at least around here... I've literally seen them racing each other down pothole-ridden San Jose streets, and recently saw one almost tip over from cornering ~20mph faster than it's safe for a NORMAL car. So yeah, I doubt they care how their drivers park either.
Yikes - that's crazy! I meant that they factor in parking complaints and tickets if they actually get any.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:27 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
It is pathetic that so many on here are trying to give the delivery guy a pass on this. It is illegal and it is WRONG. I have to imagine that those making the whats the big deal comments are some of those that park illegally themselves.
Americans need excercise? that has nothing to do with the disabled that cannot walk from the parking lot back or where ever.
I almost hope that all these people who think it is no big deal end up with physical problems themselves and see what they think then.
Yesterday we went to Walmart and parking in one of the Long ways HC parking spots with the painted orange bars between each space in front and back of the car. Came out and there were cars parked in both those spaces one in front of us and one behind so we could not leave. Yes parking it at a premium right now, makes no difference.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
It is pathetic that so many on here are trying to give the delivery guy a pass on this. It is illegal and it is WRONG. I have to imagine that those making the whats the big deal comments are some of those that park illegally themselves.
Americans need excercise? that has nothing to do with the disabled that cannot walk from the parking lot back or where ever.
I almost hope that all these people who think it is no big deal end up with physical problems themselves and see what they think then.
Yesterday we went to Walmart and parking in one of the Long ways HC parking spots with the painted orange bars between each space in front and back of the car. Came out and there were cars parked in both those spaces one in front of us and one behind so we could not leave. Yes parking it at a premium right now, makes no difference.
So they were cars, not delivery drivers. Because I believe Walmart has a delivery area behind the store, where this is no parking at all.

If you are unhappy about this situation then you are free to call the police any time you see a delivery driver improperly parked, or other cars parked in handicapped areas with no handicapped placard.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, they could get cited. The fact that they're working is irrelevant. The laws apply to delivery people the same as everyone else.
Laws (talking about minor ones like parking/driving violations) are always applied at the discretion of the enforcement officer... and yes, they might give a "pass" to someone whose JOB requires quick stops all over a city.

I mean, what do you guys expect these drivers to do? Especially if they work in a big city with no street parking, like San Francisco? I bet you'd give them a pass if you were waiting on a pizza, and the only alternative was to wait an extra ~20 minutes while they searched for a legal spot; or to pay extra to cover their parking lot fees. Their situation is very different from somebody who's going to lunch, and whose paycheck doesn't depend on completing xx deliveries in a day.

Quote:
See my above comment; and no, I am not one of "those that park illegally." I'm actually quite the opposite, to the point where my colleagues have dubbed me the "unofficial meter maid" of our (public) parking lot. But I do give a pass to delivery drivers, since I realize they're doing a job & won't be there for more than a minute. I'm not really okay with them blocking handicapped spaces, however. That's going one step too far imo.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-23-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Laws (talking about minor ones like parking/driving violations) are always applied at the discretion of the enforcement officer... and yes, they might give a "pass" to someone whose JOB requires quick stops all over a city..
If the disabled person wanted the delivery person to move, the cop would have to make them move out of that spot. Police officers can't change the laws, period. Their job requires quick stops all over the city? Tough. They should find another job if they don't like it. They shouldn't be parking in handicapped every time they need to make a stop. Delivery drivers aren't the only people who work and need to get things done in a timely manner.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
It is pathetic that so many on here are trying to give the delivery guy a pass on this. It is illegal and it is WRONG. I have to imagine that those making the whats the big deal comments are some of those that park illegally themselves..
Same here. I'm pretty appalled at these comments. Handicapped parking spots are for people with the handicapped parking tag who have a disability. Not for anyone else. The law has never been flexible or based on different situations. I have no sympathy for a delivery driver who feels he "needs" to park in handicapped.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:30 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Went to a Costco today, spotted a parking space in the last row closest to the main road (store was jammed). I drove in and took that spot, literally the furthest row from the store entrance. A silver VW had cut me off a few blocks back and subsequently turned into Costco. They drove up/down isles looking for a spot. I walked past them while they were waiting for someone to unload their cart into their car, then to pull out of the spot.

So on busy days, you might save some time while getting exercise! Oh yeah, when it is time to leave you are the first one out of the parking lot when you park in the back!
I do the same thing... head for the back, park without my blood pressure rising, and get a little walking in.

Unless I'm with my wife. Then, we head to the front because it's guaranteed we'll find a spot or see someone pulling out right in front of us. She has a parking fairy

Old 12-25-2018, 08:34 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Same here. I'm pretty appalled at these comments. Handicapped parking spots are for people with the handicapped parking tag who have a disability. Not for anyone else. The law has never been flexible or based on different situations. I have no sympathy for a delivery driver who feels he "needs" to park in handicapped.
The majority of handicap placards are handed out to grifters and bottom feeders. An awful lot of people have a "disability" that doesn't affect anything but their need to park up front. Let me know when that particular issue is addressed, and then I'll start to worry about a delivery guy who's going to be in and out because his boss is breathing down the back of his neck about delivering faster, faster, faster.

And spare me the post about your Aunt Sally who has the rare syndrome where she looks perfectly healthy but will collapse if she has to walk 20 feet in a parking lot, but can still shop for hours. Everyone has, or is, that relative... which is why we have so many fakers out there. So don't even waste our time with that tale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment