Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 04:57 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I knew a postal worker, carrier, in Florida years back and she hated it. Said they pushed and pressured her all day long. I guess about getting the mail there faster? Or, delivering more packages?
True!

Unfortunately they take it out on the public by mis-delivering mail. It's a crap shoot if we get our mail delivered correctly. One carrier I talked to about the issue said that the problem is that too many carriers "just don't care". Apparently it takes quite a lot for a carrier to be fired; therefore, it's "Oh well, whatever".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I've always thought it had something to do with the fact that so many depend on them. It's not like only your co-workers, or customers coming into your store. Everybody depends on the mail, so there's the daily need of so many eyes glued on you and not expecting any mistakes. Plus the mail never stops. It's always flowing and going. You can't let up, or it will pile up. Maybe there are also complications behind the scenes that we don't hear about.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:02 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
The thing is, I do practically everything online and rarely need snail mail.

My bills are all paid online, I use e-mail, I get direct deposit, all records are easily accessed online, so on and so forth.

The only thing I really need are things I need in the mail are things like ID and credit cards and that's only once in a blue moon.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
True!

Unfortunately they take it out on the public by mis-delivering mail. It's a crap shoot if we get our mail delivered correctly. One carrier I talked to about the issue said that the problem is that too many carriers "just don't care". Apparently it takes quite a lot for a carrier to be fired; therefore, it's "Oh well, whatever".
Wow, too bad. Not getting your mail or getting it too late can mess up a lot of things esp. if you don't pay bills electronically, which I don't.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Wow, too bad. Not getting your mail or getting it too late can mess up a lot of things esp. if you don't pay bills electronically, which I don't.
Yes, it is a major ongoing headache. Last month I received mail for three different residents in our apartment complex. One item was a tax document for my neighbor; we were glad it was at least delivered to me so I could keep it safe for her. We, and the office manager, and have issued numerous complaints but no improvement; this isn't new, it has been going on for more than 10 years!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Unfortunately they take it out on the public by mis-delivering mail.
I'm sure most mail carriers don't intentionally mis-deliver mail. Believe me, with the pressure they're under, they've got bigger fish to fry than "taking anything out on the public."

Old 02-20-2019, 04:24 PM

4,328 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My mail carrier doesn't get to my house until 8 o'clock at night some days. 8 o'clock!
Sounds like my block.

I got a letter from the local postmaster a few years ago. It was a notification that the route I am on was being consolidated, which could result in later delivery times than I was accustomed to. No kidding. I've gotten some of those 8 pm deliveries. My mail was delivered after 5 pm yesterday. It's after 5 pm today as I write this post, and I'm still waiting for delivery. I'm on a City Carrier Route in a large city.

I know a few of the PO substations have also been closed and consolidated. Many of the blue collection boxes have been removed. Of those that remain, few offer more than one pickup time per day. Boxes that still have Saturday pickup are very hard to find. Sunday and holiday collection were eliminated several years ago.

I am sure there have been positions eliminated in the process, throwing more work on the remaining employees, even with reductions in mail volume. I mean, what does consistent late delivery tell you? Who wants to be out after dark delivering mail?

Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm sure most mail carriers don't intentionally mis-deliver mail. Believe me, with the pressure they're under, they've got bigger fish to fry than "taking anything out on the public."
I wish that were the case. Our mailboxes have large labels with our name and address at the very front of the opening - in big bold letters. . impossible to miss unless one is blind or extremely visually impaired. Mail will get placed in our boxes that have an address so far away from our own it's ludicrous, plus the name is not even remotely close. One could perhaps see it occurring a time or two, but when it's an ongoing issue week after week, year after year, it's not an accident.

We used to have a mail carrier about 15 yrs who was excellent but was transferred to another route. Now we get carriers who are consistently late, sometimes they don't arrive until 6 or 7 p.m. and then they're grouchy and just throw the mail in any box to get it over with and leave. Same with package delivery, those are no longer left in the office, they are placed in front of any apartment closest to their truck and they scurry off.

As I wrote before, we've issued complaints to the consumer affairs office and the replies are always the same 101: "We take our service very seriously and do everything possible to ensure timely and correct delivery." Yeah, right, tell me another joke.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
pay is low/ health insurance doesnt cover everything

budget cuts = lower pay

Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Sometimes, good money and benefits don't guarantee happiness or contentment. Working a soul-sucking job for decades can take its toll (depending on the personality, of course); that said, at some point a rational human being would realize it's not worth it and find other work or another career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment