Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If you take a sick day, a doctor's note is mandatory. So if you're sick you HAVE to go to the doctor.. If not.. Attendance points. And possibly a write-up
I wouldn't work for a company like that! It's ridiculous to go to the doctor every time your sick, not to mention the cost. sometimes an illness does not warrant a doctors visit.

I work for a small family owned business. If I'm sick, they trust I'm sick and don't ask for proof. I also don't take advantage. My DH works for a large company. They don't require a note until after 5 days, but my DH has never been sick that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I haven't had a sick day in nearly 8 years...

I wished companies would pay/incentive-ize for unused sick days

its a funny dynamic...…. I managed a crew in a company and we only had 2 sick days in a year.... the other departments used 10x that much up to the max
what was the difference?

if one of us called in sick it put the burden on the others- and none of us wanted to do that ….. and yes if they were sickly....id rather not have them come in

the H.R director asked how can this be?

she flippantly said is it because you all are men and the other departments are women??
we chuckled but their is a component that if the others next to you are constantly coming in sick …...then you will too.

when I became manger I asked - whats the one thing they wanted I can do for their top performance... the full timers asked for 4 ten hr days...… it was against company policy but I quietly did it...… and then I had their hearts.....they gave it their all...came in early if I asked or stayed late …

we had the best performing department in the district and supervisors would visit and ask how and why and id always talk up the crew ...never myself... but I also couldn't share that 4 day work week ….yes I thought about it maybe it would work company wide but ...no it would get quashed by a vp. and we'd lose what we have ..

Old 12-29-2018, 08:42 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I haven't had a sick day in nearly 8 years...

I wished companies would pay/incentive-ize for unused sick days

its a funny dynamic...…. I managed a crew in a company and we only had 2 sick days in a year.... the other departments used 10x that much up to the max
what was the difference?

if one of us called in sick it put the burden on the others- and none of us wanted to do that ….. and yes if they were sickly....id rather not have them come in

the H.R director asked how can this be?

she flippantly said is it because you all are men and the other departments are women??
we chuckled but their is a component that if the others next to you are constantly coming in sick …...then you will too.

when I became manger I asked - whats the one thing they wanted I can do for their top performance... the full timers asked for 4 ten hr days...… it was against company policy but I quietly did it...… and then I had their hearts.....they gave it their all...came in early if I asked or stayed late …

we had the best performing department in the district and supervisors would visit and ask how and why and id always talk up the crew ...never myself... but I also couldn't share that 4 day work week ….yes I thought about it maybe it would work company wide but ...no it would get quashed by a vp. and we'd lose what we have ..
Although you had to sneak in that level of flexibility, I was glad that I had the authority to do those kinds of things in the Air Force.

One of my management mentors had warned me early on: "Don't burn out your best people. Don't worry about burning out the slackers, they'll take care of themselves. But the temptation to burn out your best people will be very strong, and your best people will let you burn them out."

So when the inevitable crunches came with long days with zero days off for weeks at a time hit, yeah, my best people were the ones who did the work and did it right with no complaints and no need of supervision. When the crunch was done, I had the authority to stroll by their desks on as many succeeding Thursdays as I thought proper and say quietly, "Bust out of here. I'll see you Monday."

And yeah, when someone was sick, I'd tell them go home. In earlier years in the Air Force, I had to tell them to go to "sick call"--report to the hospital. If it really was just a cold versus the flu or something worse, The hospital would hand them a pre-built bag of OTC medications and tell them to go back to work. I'd tell them to go home anyway. It was not ultimately effective to have people in the shop spewing contagion.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 12-29-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiewidowmaker View Post
Companies in the USA preferably.
No notes needed to use sick leave, until we have been out more than 4 days in a row.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If you take a sick day, a doctor's note is mandatory. So if you're sick you HAVE to go to the doctor.. If not.. Attendance points. And possibly a write-up
That's crazy. I mean if you are sick but cannot get a doctor appointment (common in a doctor desert like AZ) or have to go to a costly clinic, what do they expect you to do, cough and sneeze all over the place and get everyone else sick?

My company's policy is up to three days are under a doctor's note, however you're not supposed to use discretionary days as they are supposed to be 4 days in advance. Arizona has a law from a propositon that you earn 1 sick hour for every 30 hours of work. Try getting sick only once every about month and a half and tell me how realistic that is. I regret voting that prop.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Now I understand this thread! The OP has another thread asking if he should either write up and employee or fire him because he was out sick for an extended length of time even though the employee furnished doctors notes. OP, I think you need to take some classes on how to be a manager!

In a predicament as a new manager.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Now I understand this thread! The OP has another thread asking if he should either write up and employee or fire him because he was out sick for an extended length of time even though the employee furnished doctors notes. OP, I think you need to take some classes on how to be a manager!

In a predicament as a new manager.
Yep. Know your company's policy.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:59 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If your employer were as incredibly evil as DorianRo constantly complains how evil his employer is, I think you'd find another job.

Just like now he claims:

And they didn't lay him off? They must consider him a very valuable employee!
I don't think they're "evil." With that said, we recently went through a huge merger that was unique and had never been done before anywhere else in the country. Thousands of employees - a couple dozen hospitals in a very rural area. It will take years for the dust to settle on this.

It's not evil or malicious, but it is extremely disorganized and unstable. There will be news come on Monday that has changed by Friday.

People are working long hours and burnt out. Beyond their individual teams or internal customer, people generally don't care what happens elsewhere. There is a lot of going through the motions, lack of pride, etc. I work on a team of six, and everyone talks about finding other work. Most are dug in with mortgages and such, and all of my colleagues are over 50, so it's probably a lot of daydreaming. My new manager looks like she's ready to have a nervous breakdown most days, but she seems to be a wonderful person and sticks up for her staff, and we support her.

If it wasn't for me liking my team and not working too hard, I'd find something else.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:57 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
I wouldn't work for a company like that! It's ridiculous to go to the doctor every time you're sick, not to mention the cost. sometimes an illness does not warrant a doctors visit.

I work for a small family owned business. If I'm sick, they trust I'm sick and don't ask for proof. I also don't take advantage. My DH works for a large company. They don't require a note until after 5 days, but my DH has never been sick that long.
I wouldn't, either. That is just ridiculous.

Mine required a doctor's note if you were out for five consecutive days. At one time you were able to sell back up to a certain number of your unused vacation days at the end of the year provided you had no sick time, so people who were sick for a day or two would use vacation time instead of sick days. The politicians then made them cancel that policy, which was completely stupid because then people started using their sick days to take off a day or two, since there was no incentive not to, plus they still had their entire vacation bank.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:02 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
I wouldn't work for a company like that! It's ridiculous to go to the doctor every time your sick, not to mention the cost. sometimes an illness does not warrant a doctors visit.

It definitely sucks and it defies logic and common sense. No surprise the company bas been in the toilet the last few years and can barely hang on to people and is in a constant state of "reorganizing" . Unfortunately, you need options to make a change. Right now there aren't very many options for other employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment