Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:21 AM

16,065 posts, read 21,110,681 times

Advertisements

I remember reading about a heavyset woman who had an odor problem and it took her and her doctor a good while to figure it out. Turns out she had picked up a smelly fungal infection (similar to athletes foot or jock itch) in the areas she had a hard time reaching. So I think the advice to make sure you dry well after washing and use baby powder or something similar to stay dry is good advice. If it were me I might even try a little clotrimazole cream for a few weeks, rubbed into the skin creases and folds, to see if that helps.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 2,230,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyfannumerouno View Post
No one has spoken with me yet, and no it's not hyperhydrosis. It's just a stale odor. My doctor took my blood and urine and performed tests, and simply said some people just have a scent to them. She said there's nothing I can do.

You are vastly overweight. Just saying. And that is probably the source of your problem, because you can't clean up properly....

Old 01-01-2019, 07:28 AM

135 posts, read 97,684 times
Do you eat food that has garlic in it every day? Try omitting anything with garlic. I used to work as a server for an Italian pizzeria restaurant. A customer who would come in regularly that I've gotten to know told me that if she ate garlic she would smell all day no matter what she did to get rid of the smell. She said few people when they eat garlic it just permeates out their pores for what ever reason. It doesn't happen to everyone. Maybe your one that it does happen to?

Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,069,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I remember reading about a heavyset woman who had an odor problem and it took her and her doctor a good while to figure it out. Turns out she had picked up a smelly fungal infection (similar to athletes foot or jock itch) in the areas she had a hard time reaching. So I think the advice to make sure you dry well after washing and use baby powder or something similar to stay dry is good advice. If it were me I might even try a little clotrimazole cream for a few weeks, rubbed into the skin creases and folds, to see if that helps.
i feel that might be the issue. I had a friend with a similar problem. his belly would fold. I feel that he never washed underneath there.

OP -

Long-term goal = needs to lose weight in a controlled manner so he doesn't have too much excess skin.
Short-term goals = In the meantime, get a body-scrub to scrub hard to reach places. Get a Febreze plug-in for his desk to mask the odor at work.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,693,492 times
First off. OP needs to diet, as 450 pounds is considered obese and very not healthy for you now or long term. Not trying to be mean, just being factual is all. It could be the odor is coming from sweating in between the rolls of fat. Guarantee if you shed some weight, in due time the odor your body is putting off would cease. Getting healthy is key and your looking at serious medical problems later on. Both internally and your joints.
Take advantage of the new year and make a resolution to yourself and try to shed some of that weight. It can be easily done by cutting out ALL sweets, pasta, potatoes and liquid sugar. Eat every 3 hours and get your internal furnace to kick in. By doing so your body will constantly burn the fat away. New year for a new you. The time to start is NOW!
Good luck.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,435,896 times
Employers usually give vague reasons for release of employment.
Only once in my 35 years have I sat and witnessed a firing that had a specific reason. And that one was a fair firing. Embezzlement doesn't bode well.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,980,378 times
Employers will fire you or "release you" for anything. Anytime they want to get rid of you, they will just find an excuse to. Be it:

1. Age
2. Sex
3. Too expensive (You actually have experience. Cant have that these days)
4. Need to make way for the hiring managers friends or relatives

Old 01-01-2019, 09:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,995,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The lowering of the fertility rate is going to catch up with the workforce eventually, perhaps not as bad as Japan, where there's only 1.26 applicants per job.

When I last worked in a nursing home, a patient told me he smelled tobacco smoke on me, and he didn't want me taking care of him. 5 of us on the night shift, and 3 of us smoke, and the nurse on his hall smoked as well.

Perhaps that will be next, smelling of cigarette smoke.
No patient should have to smell your stale smoke. Check your dress code..our organization is quite clear about odors... smoke, body or perfume.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:23 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,747,134 times
During the Russian/Ukrainian immigration era (my home town got nearly 100,000 of them in a year or two) it was not uncommon to encounter men who were eye-watering at fifty feet. It was not hygiene as such, but a diet heavy on onion and cabbage, which produced a body odor not like sweat and 'dirty' but like... very old rotting vegetables.

I'd suggest the OP review his diet and even if overconsuming, stop consuming things that do contain aldehydes and other strong odorants.

(Then there was the old Indian/Pakistani man who ran a tourist gift shop - I don't believe the man had bathed since childhood. The worst hygiene failure I've ever encountered. Curries etc. probably did not help.)

Old 01-01-2019, 12:50 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,327,751 times
OP--you mention that the smell is concentrated under your desk. You also mention washing your shoes. I suspect your feet sweat excessively. Make sure you're cleaning them properly and invest in a second pair of shoes. This allows a pair to "dry out" between wears.

There are also antiperspirants specifically for feet and odor eater products for shoes.

This article has some good tips. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0896514d07288
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.