Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:57 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

OP, I'd have to know just how "professional" this corporate office is....WHO you're interfacing with....do others wear suits?

Oh I see you said it's an order entry desk job. But I agree that if you're working in the corporate office, even if you don't directly meet customers, both customer and company VIPs will be around. So I'd dress on the higher end of what's appropriate.

The picture you inserted looks like a T-shirt to me. I'd say that attire doesn't really"dress you for a promotion." The white long sleeve top is OK I guess.

I'm only one person and could be off base.

As others have said, how about getting some basic dress pants and blouses, a couple of dress cardigans (instead of blazers or more structured jackets) -- and just switch out the pieces. Heck get all solids and just mix and match. Or Solid pants, solid cardigan, and neutral printed blouses.) It really isn't hard. You actually might like being able to put so many outfits together.

OP, you initially said you don't like casual. So does that mean you usually dress more formal at work. Usually you can't go wrong dressing more formal than required.

Last edited by selhars; 01-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Updated information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 12:03 PM

538 posts, read 385,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If you're working in the corporate office, even if you job doesn't directly meet customers, both customer and company VIPs will be around. So they're setting the tone.
I worked for another huge company that went casual. Jeans everyday. Didn’t really agree with that either. I thought a pair of black pants and a cotton shirt was acceptable. I just like to be able to wear sandals in the summer (nice ones not flip flops) but at this new company I’m sure that won’t be allowed.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:36 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I'm having a hard time reconciling this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I don’t like casual which my last company changed to but I’ve never had a customer service or sales support job where the handbook said all women had to wear a dress, dress skirt, crop or dress slacks made of suit material and a dress top, blouse. It is usually business casual. Now I will have to go shopping for a whole new wardrobe and shoes for winter and summer. Most of my friends I told about this said they couldn’t work at a place like that. Is this common? I’ve never had a handbook that said your pants had to be made of suit material.
with these hyperlinked pictures

Quote:
It’s a very large food company. One of the corporate offices. Would a shirt like these with black pants be to casual
https://goo.gl/images/eCC5c6

https://goo.gl/images/hahbV6
and with sandals.

Quote:
I worked for another huge company that went casual. Jeans everyday. Didn’t really agree with that either. I thought a pair of black pants and a cotton shirt was acceptable. I just like to be able to wear sandals in the summer (nice ones not flip flops) but at this new company I’m sure that won’t be allowed.
It sounds like the dress code is just a step down from a full suit and a long way up from tee-shirt and sandals. What were the people wearing when you interviewed? What was your new boss wearing? Take your cue from that.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:08 PM

538 posts, read 385,839 times
Would those type of shirts in the Links under a suit jacket be sufficient?

Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:

Probably, but we can't really tell without knowing how the rule is interpreted locally. You need to see how others, and especially your boss interprets the rules.

I always went upscale on the first couple days, but for guys it was simple. When I wore a tie the first day and was told that if I did it again it would be cut off I got the hint. Maybe sit down with your boss or other team leaders and ask if it isn't apparent from what others are wearing when you start and ask. It is always harder if the boss/team lead is of the opposite sex.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
IMO, no.
The first shirt is a T-shirt. And T-shirts don't go under suit jackets except for the boss if he wants to, or on an old TV show called "Miami Vice."

The second shirt looks like some kind of light weight, long-sleeve sweater. Again that's not what usually goes under suit jacket.

One style, which looks professional and is less "structured" than a suit, is wearing a dressy, unstructured, cardigan style sweater as your "jacket." It's NOT a cable style cardigan. But a jacket-like style. I usually stick with black. Can't go wrong with that. Nice weight slacks/pants, a shell-type blouse (or shirt if you must), and the unstructured jacket. Simple.

You could even do "twin sets" for your tops ....the blouse/jacket combination that looks like two pieces but are really only one piece.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You could even do "twin sets" for your tops ....the blouse/jacket combination that looks like two pieces but are really only one piece.
A twin set is a two piece item - a fitted shell or short sleeve sweater, with a matching cardigan that goes over it.

A mock twin set is a combination all in one piece that just has the front part of the inner shell and what looks like a cardigan over it.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
The two links you shared are t-shirts. Not business attire.

You might find these pants work for you and they are on sale right now for a very reasonable price.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...e%26slotId%3D5

These shirts are a bit pricier, but look at the styles. You can often pick up stuff like this at T.J. Maxx.
https://www.macys.com/shop/womens-cl.../Tops?id=67592

Old 01-01-2019, 05:13 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
These shirts are a bit pricier, but look at the styles. You can often pick up stuff like this at T.J. Maxx.
Yes, TJ Maxx might be a good place for you. I've purchased a number of items for $19.99 there. And they are wash and wear, so no dry cleaning involved and barely even any ironing.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Wait. You now have a new job when a couple weeks ago you said no one was calling you back for interviews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment