Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:22 AM

801 posts, read 547,591 times

Advertisements

Most kids were taught that swearing is wrong. Some of them hold on to that belief throughout adulthood and others didn't. It has nothing to do with intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
It depends on the corporate culture.

I worked at a software company that was a vendor to numerous NYC investment banks. The clients used a lot of foul language, and that rubbed off on us. You'd be lucky to go ten minutes without F something.

I work at a larger organization now. While anyone can slip up, I might hear someone curse once a week. It's not acceptable here.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sailors don't curse as much as the young women do. And it is very heavily skewed toward the young women. Older folks, male or female, and younger men dont curse as loudly or as much. And really has nothing to do with education level either. College grads are just as bad or worse about it. Its not even used in a situation that you'd think would be expected but as everyday conversational words.

I find the over usage strange more than shocking.
It has become normal usage. Look at TV Shows "Stranger Things" in which those little kids are swearing. The remake of IT in which little kids are also swearing.

There is no shock value in it. It is if you don't swear. Some of my co-workers stop everything if they hear me curse.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It depends on the corporate culture.

I worked at a software company that was a vendor to numerous NYC investment banks. The clients used a lot of foul language, and that rubbed off on us. You'd be lucky to go ten minutes without F something.

I work at a larger organization now. While anyone can slip up, I might hear someone curse once a week. It's not acceptable here.

This ^^^

Corporate culture.

I spent my career at an investment bank in a big trading room. There were guys in there who could string a whole sentence together with nothing but the F word. It's just the way it was, and we were a top bracket firm. The lowlife firms are MUCH worse.

Be careful to whom you complain before assessing the culture. Not every place is right for every person. That doesn't excuse certain behaviors, but it does explain them and you already know that the 'boss' seems to not care much abut some people's use of the language.

Sorry. Might have to move on if it really, really offends you. Otherwise, stick it out., These days it is a sign of immaturity and people might move on more quickly than you think...but after five years......

Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Sure, it is perhaps unethical or immoral to use foul language in the workplace. However, there are varying degrees of foul language. "Damn" or "hell", or "ass" are perhaps more PG-rated than the obvious PG-13 or R-rated "F-bomb".

Old 01-10-2019, 03:15 PM

75 posts, read 36,230 times
"Good Lord please forgive her for her mouth"
Walk up and stand next to her and say this.

She'll get the hint

Vulgar / swear words don't belong at work.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Start saying things to yourself , but loudly, like "Praise Jesus" and "Hallelujah" and "To God be the Glory". It should be fine for others to exclaim in sexually vulgar terms and you to express your religious views, so as long as you aren't inviting them to church. It's just another sort of uncomfortable.
Praise Jay-zusss! FelixTheCat! Gaww-ddddd-uhhhhh! has obviously inspired you! Let us break out in song together...

Old 01-10-2019, 03:59 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Sounds like a low rent place.

Swearing is a sign of more intelligence... Do you really believe that?? Maybe cigarettes are good for you too.
I dont find it hard to believe based on my experience. As someone said above there is swearing in the field and high stress situations and there's swearing in normal office conversation. Those are the educated people using it as an all around adjective or adverb before every word.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM

323 posts, read 219,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I don't see what the problem is. Is she referring to you as a "F---er or Mother F'er? Does it prevent you from doing your job in any way?? She loves the F word. Big deal...

I'd just tell her to refrain from cursing at me when we are talking.
The problem is that it's just nasty and classless.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM

323 posts, read 219,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Start saying things to yourself , but loudly, like "Praise Jesus" and "Hallelujah" and "To God be the Glory". It should be fine for others to exclaim in sexually vulgar terms and you to express your religious views, so as long as you aren't inviting them to church. It's just another sort of uncomfortable.
This made me laugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment