Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

I met a former colleague of mine for lunch over the holiday break and one thing he mentioned to me kind of stuck out. He said even if I get another job I like, I should always continue to apply for other jobs that have a potential to advance me in my career. Part of me says that makes a lot of sense, but what if you really like the job, good with the pay, and the people you work for and with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:21 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Everyone is different when it comes to what they want out of a career. Some keep "score" by how far they advance and are always looking for the next big score. Others are more interested in enjoying what they do and who they work with. Personally I've tried to make strategic job changes to do what I wanted at that point in my life and not spend time chasing rainbows. So I've been in the same location and organization now for 18 years, though I've had "job" changes by taking on new duties and responsibilities during that time.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,557 times
It all depends on your goals.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Personally I've tried to make strategic job changes to do what I wanted at that point in my life and not spend time chasing rainbows.

Same. Looking for a job is a job. I don't feel the need to "see what's out there". If I'm in the market for a new job, there's a reason.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I met a former colleague of mine for lunch over the holiday break and one thing he mentioned to me kind of stuck out. He said even if I get another job I like, I should always continue to apply for other jobs that have a potential to advance me in my career. Part of me says that makes a lot of sense, but what if you really like the job, good with the pay, and the people you work for and with?
I don't continue to actively look for a job. However, on DAY ONE of starting a new job, I already know when I plan on beginning my next job hunt. So, every job has as a built in clock that's running down to the next move. I have specific salary goals I'm trying to get to and I won't be deterred.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Sounds like a lot of work.

If you have a job you like, you should be happy--a lot of people hate their jobs.

I also think that any potential employers you approach are going to want to know why you are looking. Then you have to start 'improvising' as you cannot tell them you are happy, but looking for greener pastures. They assume you will do the same thing to them.

Frankly, I think it is a dumb idea. Do you want to spend all day working and then go home and look for a job? Fit in interviews? Also try to have a life?

IMHO, life is too short to spend half of it looking for another job.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:59 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
That's his plan and no one can tell him that it's wrong for him. However, that also doesn't mean it's what everyone else should do. As others alluded, everyone should have a career plan, goals, etc.

I certainly agree that you should always keep an eye out for opportunities. However, constantly applying to jobs isn't the only way (and the more senior you are, it actually becomes riskier).

In the end, if you like the job/company you're with. Make the best of it. Focus your efforts on enhancing your career with this company. Of course, everyone should also have a contingency plan. You just need to prioritize the efforts accordingly.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:38 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
If I'm decently satisfied with my current job, the risk of leaving typically isn't worth it to me. If you wind up with a job you dislike, you either have to very quickly find another new one or be stuck there for a year or two so you don't look like a job hopper.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:55 AM

407 posts, read 370,117 times
While it certainly doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for new opportunities, personally, I wouldn't be applying for job after job if I was as happy in my job as you describe. If those things started to wane, I'd be more apt to apply elsewhere. One other concern that I would have - if you're applying to jobs in the same industry, word could get back to your current employer that you're applying for other jobs. That could have some negative consequences.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:17 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
It depends on your career aspirations and potential.

Any time you change jobs you run the risk of moving to a company with a toxic culture or management that may cause you incredible amounts of stress, potentially getting fired, which could set your career back. Taking this possibility into account, you should only change jobs if the pay increase, or other benefits, offset this risk.

I have changed jobs 8 times in 30 years, but I am unlikely to do so again anytime soon. I earn enough for comfort, my benefits are good, my position secure. Why would I risk that for something comparable? Now, should something come along that would give me a 20% boost, I would certainly consider it, but I am not inclined to move for anything less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment