Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I do think places need to lighten up about working from home...however working from home with a baby? If you were a manager or CEO how would you feel about employees working from home AND taking care of a baby at the same time. How would that work? It wouldnt. You'll be much less productive unless you have a nanny there with you.

I say this as someone who has a 2 yr old and 4 yr old who works and occasionally works from home but my DH works evenings so he's home during the day also.
I agree with this. I know OP said they have a neighbor who will help watch the child on days working from home, but that's probably not enough to set someone's mind at ease. That's not daycare, it's not a nanny, it's a neighbor helping out. That (to many people) will sound like there are going to be times when OP is caring for a child at the same time as working.

It doesn't matter as much if that's true or not, but that's what the perception probably is to HR. As with most things, this is a battle of perception as much as it is what really might happen.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM

203 posts, read 108,374 times
I completely understand that having a baby and returning to work is difficult but this OP has already had 6 months off of work as well. That is quite a bit more than most people get. I got 12 and 13 weeks with my kids. Some companies have it better than others but this employee seems to be pushing it. Sounds like she wants to have her cake and eat it too, aka wants her paycheck but is looking to get out of work as much as possible. I'm finding it hard to empathize i guess. Maybe it's time to quit and return when baby is older. it's not fair to other people who have no kids or people who DO have kids and don't get special treatment and still make it their business to show up.

In the end if your work allows you to work from home, take it and do what you have to do, but this seems a little entitled to me. Some people have to go back to work 4-6 weeks after having kids to a **** job. OP, be grateful for what you have/had or quit.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM

44 posts, read 115,465 times
@McBridge781 - your advice is bitter & not @ all helpful. I'm not asking for anything extra. The 6 month leave & wfh options are offered by the company.

Several ppl throughout the company take advantage of the options that are offered to us.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-11-2019 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Rude and off-topic.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,835 times
I don't think it's going over your manager's head to ask HR for clarification. It's not like you're going there to complain about him or throw a hissy fit.

Honestly, welcome to the working mom world. There is a crapton of discrimination, double standards, etc. The office should be concerned about your work productivity and leave the child care to you. I can't tell you how many times my manager mentions "juggling work/life balance" when I have missed ZERO work last year for my 3 kids while my male coworker missed weeks and gets zero mention of "juggling work/life balance."

Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp99 View Post
@oceangaia - I never signed anything when I was hired & I haven't had anything presented to me just yet, nor did they mention such an agreement in the seminar
Unless you have an employment contract or other written agreement for work-from-home provisions, the decision is solely and only that of the employer. A seminar about work from home does not require the company to offer you a work from home option. In essence, all you can do is speak to HR and your manager to see what can be arranged. In the end, if they say no, that's the decision.

Now, if you can show that their decision was based on a protected class (not to be confused with you just being just a member of a protected class) you have leverage.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Now, if you can show that their decision was based on a protected class (not to be confused with you just being just a member of a protected class) you have leverage.

Since you are versed in some employment matters, I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase "prima facie".

Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM

323 posts, read 218,986 times
Is there any way you can just stay home and not work? Taking care do your child is more important.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Knock it off with the rude comments and personal attacks, people. Read the Terms of Service before you post again. This thread has been cleaned up, inappropriate posts deleted. The thread will remain closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-11-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment