Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:20 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

If they ask about hobbies, I always say what would be my best guess as to their hobbies. If it's going to descend to dumb and irrelevant questions, then I might as well go with what will earn the most points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
We're in bad times where we have to micro-analyze the answer to every single job interview question (including ones that should not be asked)

Old 01-15-2019, 05:56 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
I've gotten the hobbies question quite a few times. It seems like its a common interview question.

I've read that you're not supposed to specifically state your real hobbies, but to toss out a fake answer which is somewhat relevant to one of your job duties, like learning new software or whatever. Like a previous poster said, if you tell them you like to watch TV and play video games in your spare time, they'll think you're just lazy.

To some HR folks, your life is supposed to revolve around work. I would avoid saying travel.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So many times when I go on interviews, whether it be phone or in-person, they want to know what my hobbies are. I have no problem with this except that my hobby is travel. Literally, JUST travel and I travel A LOT (I pretty much use up all my vacation days every year … luckily my job is cool about it … WITH the caveat that I take my laptop with me and can be accessible if need be).

That said, I am looking for a new job and am alright with cutting the travel down to a smaller amount so that I can get acclimated to the job. But when they ask me what my hobbies are and I say travel, does that give a bad impression that I will be too focused on taking time off work? I personally think travel is amazing and essential for everyone … we have so much here … see what other places in the world have (literally nothing in some places .. ie. Africa etc) and it's mind-blowing. I personally think travel makes us better, more humble people … but if someone said their hobby is travel, how would you, as someone hiring a new candidate take that?

Could this be a bad thing?
In the United States I would not say, travel.

I'd go or the other standard non-judgmental hobbies.

Travel is still considered negative in America although people do not specifically use the term "negative."

Things have changed since the 90s when airport personnel were suspicious of me b/c I traveled for several months through foreign countries with a backpack.

They could not understand it.

In the US, the average American get 10 days off (the "2-week" vacation) plus some extra days off for Labor day, Memorial day, etc.

You want to sound "dedicated to the job and the cause." I would omit travel.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I would be fine if a candidate said they loved travel but then again I also love to travel. I've had candidates give me that answer and we've had some nice talks about destinations

The question about hobbies is typically an 'ice breaker' one; it's considered a safe one and doesn't technically violate any laws.

Maybe go with saying you enjoy traveling and then expand on why you like to travel...learn about new cultures, do photography, visit museums or whatever else you do when you travel?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I haven’t been asked the hobby question in 30 years. It seems irrelevant and frivolous.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:26 PM

35,070 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I always go with simple, vanilla things. Hiking. Baseball. Outdoors.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Uh, you DO know you could just lie and name another hobby, right?

Afraid travel could be twisted into a negative? -- and that would take a lot of twisting.
Just give them an answer....any answer -- that can't be twisted that way.
No. No. No.
Lying can bite you in the butt.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:01 AM

483 posts, read 886,156 times
If someone isn't going to hire you because you like to travel and take your earned vacation time, then you don't want to work for them anyway. Makes the job decision process so much easier. The older I get, the more fed up with the corporate BS/games I am. I'm so glad I didn't move to a large city to climb the corporate ladder, join the rat race, get into competition with thousands competing for that 1 job, etc.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I suspect one problem with that question is that peoples' hobbies often relate to their politics or religion, both of which are taboo topics for job interviews. If the job is in politics or religion, I guess it would be less problematic, but the answer still might reveal a difference from the politics or religion of the interviewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment