Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:53 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

What Would You Do in this situation?

Fiance' got a new job & starts this Mon., 1/21. He'll be on a 90-day probation. We had gotten this FREE much well-deserved trip to Hawaii for 1 week (for attending one of those timeshare presentations). Wouldn't you know it...the timing is rotten! We have until the end of March to go. Now, I will definitely try to see if they can extend the trip deadline before he says anything at work. (I don't care if I have to pay $50-100 to extend it 6 mos to a yr.)

When & how would you approach your new job about it? I was thinking towards the end of the probation, but then they may ask why we didn't bring it up sooner. I'd love for him to bring it up AFTER, but it will be too late to go on the trip then. I wouldn't want him to bring it up at the beginning since he just got the job. Of course, if they say no, they say no & we won't go because we don't want him losing his job over this. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Bring it up as early as possible. Just say you have a pre-planned vacation, and ask if it's possible to have that time off, making it clear you are more than OK not taking the time off if they don't want you to.

Bring it up early. If you wait and talk to them later, it might look like you were trying to hide or get away with something all along.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I would bring it up after I formally accepted the offer and passed any drug screens and/or background checks.

When I started my job week 2 was going to be a cross country move for me. I brought it up after I accepted the offer and they had no problem giving me the time off.

But if this isn't that kind of job (hourly, for example) then scrap the trip. Hawaii isn't going anywhere.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
He should have brought it up once the offer was received. Sometimes, the HR rep will ask for this info when the offer is extended. If not, it should be brought up during negotiations.

If he didn’t bring it up by now, it can be a tricky business. Even after the 90-day probation is up, he may not have enough vacation time accrued to go. Depending on the environment he’s in, it could be frowned upon to take vacation before a certain time period. Barely six months working and already taking a week vacation could be a problem for some companies.

He should bring it up now since he hasn’t quite started yet and see what happens. At some point, it’s going to need to be discussed. Make sure he says he’s willing to take the vacation as unpaid time off also. He won’t have the vacation days, so he needs to acknowledge that when asking.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I would bring it up after I formally accepted the offer and passed any drug screens and/or background checks.

When I started my job week 2 was going to be a cross country move for me. I brought it up after I accepted the offer and they had no problem giving me the time off.

But if this isn't that kind of job (hourly, for example) then scrap the trip. Hawaii isn't going anywhere.

Technically it is. It's sinking .. in 80 million years but, still.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Thanks guys. Darn! There seems to definitely be NO right time to bring it up. He sure didn't want to bring it up on the interview right off the bat for fear that he wouldn't get the job...you never know. That affects getting hired because they don't know that he might ask for time off every few mos, which he's definitely NOT that type, but they don't know that.

Another interview he went on actually asked him if he had any trips or obligations already planned. I wish THIS job had asked that!

Ugggh, well, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-17-2019 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Darn! There seems to definitely be NO right time to bring it up. He sure didn't want to bring it up on the interview right off the bat for fear that he wouldn't get the job...you never know. That affects getting hired because they don't know that he might ask for time off every few mos, which he's definitely NOT that type, but they don't know that.

Another interview he went on actually asked him if he had any trips or obligations already planned. I wish THIS job had asked that!

Ugggh, well, we'll see what happens.
I agree that he should have disclosed this trip when the offer was made. Even though they didn't ask, he should have been proactive in volunteering the information. But he didn't so I think telling them ASAP is the best way to go.

He definitely doesn't want to wait until the end of this probationary period to ask for the time. There could be a policy of how far in advance time needs to be requested, and it could be granted based on seniority. And the end of March is a popular time for folks to request off to coincide with spring breaks.

You should try to get the trip dates extended now. If you can't, he should tell them on Monday and he can assure them that there are no other trips planned.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
This sort of question seems to come up a lot on this board. I don't understand why people who are unemployed or job seeking plan out elaborate vacations. Personally I would cancel the vacation if I couldn't reschedule it, especially if the new job was a career type position, even if it meant taking a hit and losing a deposit.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:31 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
This sort of question seems to come up a lot on this board. I don't understand why people who are unemployed or job seeking plan out elaborate vacations. Personally I would cancel the vacation if I couldn't reschedule it, especially if the new job was a career type position, even if it meant taking a hit and losing a deposit.
Agree.

Even if the vacation was pre-planned, job takes precedence.

In OP's situation, it was a total miscalculation willingly leaving out the trip details in order to get a job offer. You never do that, once you get an offer that is when you negotiate start time, planned trips, etc.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:37 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Call & try to push the vacation out a year. If it isn't possible, abandon it unused.

As a manager, I'd be really pissed if a new hire wanted to leave the job for a week of vacation early in his tenure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment