Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 33,249 times

Advertisements

I just received an email for verifying my previous employment because the company was closed (the job was my part time job a few years ago.) They asked for another way to contact the owner (I don't have any), or I can provide documentation to cover my full period of employment. As I found out my w-2 forms, I realized I made a mistake! I thought I started working in 2014! In fact, I started working in that company in 2015! I didn't check before I submitted my background check information.

What should I do now????

Also, do I still have the chances??? *(I didn't mention this job in the resume or in the interview because it is not relevant to the job I am applying now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 11:31 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercalifrag. View Post
What should I do now????

Also, do I still have the chances??? *(I didn't mention this job in the resume or in the interview because it is not relevant to the job I am applying now)
Depends on the level of the mistake. If you said you worked there from lets say June 2014 when it was June 2015, that's a more understandable mistake. But, if you said February 2014 when it was June 2015, that reeks for lying and can be an issue.

As for your chances, nobody can say but the prospective employer. Some will pass you over for being sloppy, other will let it slide. Only the prospective employer know what will happen.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 AM

178 posts, read 147,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercalifrag. View Post
I just received an email for verifying my previous employment because the company was closed (the job was my part time job a few years ago.) They asked for another way to contact the owner (I don't have any), or I can provide documentation to cover my full period of employment. As I found out my w-2 forms, I realized I made a mistake! I thought I started working in 2014! In fact, I started working in that company in 2015! I didn't check before I submitted my background check information.

What should I do now????

What’s done is done. You made a good faith error. Send off the documentation without any excuses and see where it goes. If they have decided on you for the position, I think that if they have any questions they’ll contact you. If they do come back with questions about any discrepancy, tell them then that you made a mistake and offer your explanations. Good luck in any event.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:29 AM

9,384 posts, read 8,356,698 times
It's a good question. I have 2 or 3 companies whom I used to work for that were bought out by larger companies, so they essentially no longer exist. I could make up dates of employment, manager's names, salary, title, etc. and no one would be the wiser.

I agree with the poster above - send in your information, don't worry about trying to fix any errors and let it go. Typically these background checks are simply to verify important information and to weed out any criminals....I don't think an oversight on a date is going to remove you from consideration. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Depends on the level of the mistake. If you said you worked there from lets say June 2014 when it was June 2015, that's a more understandable mistake. But, if you said February 2014 when it was June 2015, that reeks for lying and can be an issue.

As for your chances, nobody can say but the prospective employer. Some will pass you over for being sloppy, other will let it slide. Only the prospective employer know what will happen.
Yes, the actual dates will tell the story. All you can do now is let them know you made a mistake and hope for the best. Oh and keep better records for the future.

One thing I started doing years ago was to keep a MS Word file of all my jobs, in order, with addresses, dates, contact info, phone # etc...Then I also add where I've lived because all background checks ask these questions. Having this file has saved me so much time.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Thank you for your reply!
I am worried because some people try to stretch the date to cover the employment gap. I was a student at that time. That was my part time job. There is no reason I need to stretch the date....

BTW, should I contact the HR recruiter and explain it to her?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes, the actual dates will tell the story. All you can do now is let them know you made a mistake and hope for the best. Oh and keep better records for the future.

One thing I started doing years ago was to keep a MS Word file of all my jobs, in order, with addresses, dates, contact info, phone # etc...Then I also add where I've lived because all background checks ask these questions. Having this file has saved me so much time.

That's a really good idea! I should do that now!!! Thank you for the advice

Old 01-17-2019, 12:49 PM

I sent all the documentation to the background check company last night. They already told the hr recruiter... she asked me if I provided the documentation. I haven't heard anything from BC company again.....

Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookboy View Post
What’s done is done. You made a good faith error. Send off the documentation without any excuses and see where it goes. If they have decided on you for the position, I think that if they have any questions they’ll contact you. If they do come back with questions about any discrepancy, tell them then that you made a mistake and offer your explanations. Good luck in any event.
+1 on that.

Explain that it was a mistake and be sincere. Don't gush over it and don't make it a big deal. Just a mistake that's all.

Best of luck.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Did the email come from the investigating company, or the potential employer?

If it was the investigating company, you should have said NO; it was a part time job while I was a student and they have gone out of business. They are just filling in boxes on a form.

Let them say as much. No employer is going to chase down a part time student job with a company that has gone out of business, unless you were in the C Suite, which is unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment