Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,540,754 times

Advertisements

Usually no pressure, but unless I’m tied up with somewhere where I can’t access my phone, I’ll usually check for messages at least once a day, though unless it’s something extremely urgent I don’t reply until I get back. My employer gives me pretty good flexibility so I don’t mind helping them out.

If the employer were to force me to work while away, then I’d just consider it a work from home/remote day (or half day) rather than a PTO day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 PM

17,422 posts, read 13,200,337 times
I'm retired now, but when I worked I never looked at company emails or took a company call for over 30 years. And, that includes several 3-4 week vacations. I had several positions from salesman to North American Sales Manager to VP S&M. for small to Fortune 500 companies

(In case of a real emergency, which never happened, my secretary always could reach me. She only called once to wish us a Happy Anniversary

You need time away from work to recharge.

They will get along without you just fine

Old 01-20-2019, 12:32 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,905,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
A lot of American employers don't understand what personal time/vacation is. Things like that don't happen in Europe because people value their personal time.
People outside the US do have work related obligations while on vacations

Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM

6,329 posts, read 4,836,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

How pressured are you to answer emails/VMs while on PTO?

Seriously?

What part of TIME OFF didn't you understand?

Old 01-20-2019, 12:25 PM

679 posts, read 809,672 times
Vacation is vacation, work is work. That has always been my rule.
It takes me 3-4 days to unplug from my work and start to relax, recharge, and "sharpen the saw." All it takes is one call or one email to drag me back to the work day. No thanks.

I've found that being proactive with clear roles/responsibilities and communications to my team makes having to check in unnecessary. I put my vacations on the calendar at the beginning of the year, and when I get within a couple months of one, I make sure to let my clients, referral sources and others who might call know this. I have never had a real estate deal go sideways while I am gone. Many times, I come back and they say not much happened while you were gone. That is the sign your team is well trained. Train and trust your team to cover for you.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Twenty Five years as a Director it was expected...

Now as hourly and it is highly discouraged and all hourly employees have a compliance line to report being pressured.

Funny thing is now I make more as hourly because they have to pay for all my time...

As salaried I could not be there enough... 7 days... now the Administrator thinks of ways to keep from calling me in which works for me.

That said... I liked getting a jump start periodically checking email... really didn't mind... it was the going in at 2 am that put a crimp in my day.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:15 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm retired now, but when I worked I never looked at company emails or took a company call for over 30 years. And, that includes several 3-4 week vacations. I had several positions from salesman to North American Sales Manager to VP S&M. for small to Fortune 500 companies

(In case of a real emergency, which never happened, my secretary always could reach me. She only called once to wish us a Happy Anniversary

You need time away from work to recharge.

They will get along without you just fine
Maybe... be a key person can do things where others can't.

I was proud of my record in never having to cancel a surgery in 25 years on my watch due to a facility issue.... never, not once... sure things came up but I was always able to remedy...

It is not like this anymore... new owners simply said sometimes cases are cancelled... just the reality and they are OK with that... much lower level of readiness than what would have been tolerated at a small community based Hospital...

Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
I am responsible for a certain number of customers. This is the first job in a long time that doesn't issue cell phones. So I put my personal cell# out there for emergencies. I don't want to hear about a disaster on Monday morning and my customer saying "I didn't know what to do!"

Old 01-20-2019, 06:04 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I am responsible for a certain number of customers. This is the first job in a long time that doesn't issue cell phones. So I put my personal cell# out there for emergencies. I don't want to hear about a disaster on Monday morning and my customer saying "I didn't know what to do!"
I am part of an on-call rotation to where I have to call end users. The expectation was that we use our personal cell for this. I have a nonlocal number, and most people won't even answer a strange area code.

I raised hell over this. I don't want the general public having my personal cell to call with issues.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,941,543 times
pressure?
none.
expected?
yes.
nothing is ever actually said.
but...
miss one and you are done.
the pressure is not overt.
the "reallocation" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment