Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:42 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
My field is computer science, which has nothing to do religions.

The best I can do is to pray before the classes, and cite Bible verses to tell students cheating is a sin?
If your field was teaching, you would know that there's interactions with the students involved that are well beyond the actual subject being taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 02:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Quote:
I've researched quite a number of religious colleges/universities.

Catholic schools are more open-minded, they don't require church membership or even belief, but you shouldn't challenge their faith and values.

Mormons don't have the best reputation for tolerance, but BYU hires a lot of non-LDS faculty members.

Baptist schools are very conservative, many of them explicitly require active church membership, and require some essay on your spiritual journey.

Honestly, I don't mind faking it. I'm an atheist/agonistic, I don't mind claiming to be a Christian or even joining the church if necessary. I'm not sure if I can make a deal, like, if they offer me the position, I will convert to their denomination.
The idea that you would FAKE it or join the denomination to get a job is disgusting. You are willing to lie and commit fraud at a religious based institution. I would say you are NOT qualified for such a job anyway!

Old 01-26-2019, 02:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
The idea that you would FAKE it or join the denomination to get a job is disgusting. You are willing to lie and commit fraud at a religious based institution. I would say you are NOT qualified for such a job anyway!
I'm not sure I'd get so worked up over it, but I think you have a point. It may be of so little importance to the employee that they'll tug their forelock and mumble the magic words without believing a bit of it, but it is important to the employer/organization, and they're entitled to an honest position. On the, um, position.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:19 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
well if V.P Pences' wife can get a job at a place that makes her sign a contract confirming her beliefs....and practices...then it must be okay!

This falls in line with the case that was recently won by an employee claiming she was discriminated against based on her "deep faith" and needing Sundays off in a business that runs 24/7 ...365 days a year. My mother was a practicing faith...she miraculously did her church thing and clocked in at the hospital...Holy days were met with ...work 8 hours and go to church later that day...or vice versa....

Now if you are one that beleives you must go out on full moons and howl at the moon as part of your faith.....then we might have a problem if you work at the library....they like things quiet there. *wink*

Old 01-26-2019, 03:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act makes an exception in it's anti discrimination statements for religious organizations with some caveats.

The organization must be non-profit, and the religion must be central to the organization's purpose and character. The exemption applies to recognized religious organizations and higher education institutions affiliated with a particular religion.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
My field is computer science, which has nothing to do religions.

The best I can do is to pray before the classes, and cite Bible verses to tell students cheating is a sin?
Provide the link.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Provide the link.
https://www.baptistschools.org/job/f...cybersecurity/

Old 01-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
They want teachers who behave in accordance with their belief and teach students in a way that reflects their faith. Suppose I can do what they want me to do, whether I truly believe in God is not very important.

Serious, are all church members sincerely believe in God and the doctrines of their denomination? Probably not, a lot of people go to church to socialize.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Depends on what you mean by challenge. If you mean blogging about your abortion while part of the staff, that's one thing. But by challenge you mean disagreeing with their policies and interaction with the rest of the world, most Jesuits I've known would just lick their chops and say, "come get some."

But yes, they do want people who are pulling the cart the same direction. You're pretty much right about other, less tolerant faiths.

They can be among the best places to work and have a career.
Actually, the idea that you have a direct personal relationship with God kind of appeals to me, I don't want middlemen like the Pope and a very powerful centralized and corrupt church to tell me what to do.

Surprisingly, Catholic universities are generally more open-minded when they hire.

I'm not sure if my understanding of Christianity is right, though. Since I don't believe in the existence of God in the first place, I don't bother to spend much time learning all the subtle differences between denominations and religions in general.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Quote:
Actually, the idea that you have a direct personal relationship with God kind of appeals to me, I don't want middlemen like the Pope and a very powerful centralized and corrupt church to tell me what to do.

Surprisingly, Catholic universities are generally more open-minded when they hire.

I'm not sure if my understanding of Christianity is right, though. Since I don't believe in the existence of God in the first place, I don't bother to spend much time learning all the subtle differences between denominations and religions in general.
Yes yet another reason you have no place as such a school. And the point of joining any church is because you accept and believe in their teaching and doctrine. I also dislike intensely when someone joins a church and then tried to change what that church does or believes. Like women joining and insisting that they should be allowed to be Priests or whatever if the religion does not teach that. Or that the church should accept or endorse Gays, there are many more examples.

A religion is not a social organization, subject to changing with the times, God did not give commandments to follow, "until something else came along" Or "unless you don't agree with them"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment