Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've heard the same garbage from people in MLMs. That jobs are meaningless, dead-end and have nothing to offer. However, many people in jobs have health insurance, paid vacation days, stock options and other things that make those jobs very meaningful and give them financial security. MLMs offer none of that.
True, the hardcore MLM pitchers will counter that though by saying you could have "unlimited potential income." This is usually followed by asking you if you want a better life, for yourself or your family. Goal is to get you to one "yes." Once one yes is had its easier to get you to agree again, and again-until you buy in. Sales psychology tactics plain and simple.

End result is alienated family and friends from being pressured to join, lost money, no fabulous yacht and mansion, and a stack of product collecting dust in the corner of the basement. Likely worse problems if the person has quit a stable job for all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avco2p8x1Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pEgzrKjL4

My Personal Experience with Amway, and Why This Issue Alone Should Have Disqualified Betsy Devos.

Married to an Ambot

If anyone needs to read one article about what Amway is about, you can't do better than this concise one:

Amway: 5 Realities Of The Multi-Billion-Dollar Scam

Old 02-04-2019, 07:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
It's been said but it needs to be repeated. If you are raking in the cash why in the world would you want to sign up everyone you meet to become your competition as a seller? Because it's a BS model and those here who are backing it are so full of it their eyes are brown.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Not all things are for all people. Yes network marketing is about building outlets. Do you hate recruiting? Then don't do it. The biggest point about network marketing is the what if.

Today Monday many people went to a job they hate or a job they don't feel they are being compensated enough. In steps a business they can try on a part time basis with a small entry fee while keeping their full time job.

Here's what I suggest people do find a company. Try it out with a goal of making back your entry fee. Do you and make yours. Once you see a real opportunity then share with others..

Here's something I have found out. I used to do online battles about a certain company making many valid points. But here's the killer. In the big picture no one cared what my opinion was and the company has kept selling their product and recruiting.

So nay Sayers keep yelling scam but as you say people can't or shouldn't do it some people are doing it and with technology on a grander scale.. The business is tough but the rewards can be great and make positive changes of a financial generational basis..Or allow someone to pay some bills..

In closing here's something to think about. Be careful telling someone not to do something because you can be taking away a goal or hope and that may be all they have.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post

In closing here's something to think about. Be careful telling someone not to do something because you can be taking away a goal or hope and that may be all they have.
That's really sad if they feel their only option in life is to put money into a MLM. But I will just sit there and watch them lose their money and go into debt. I have friends, a married couple, who are enrolled in not only one, but several of these MLMs. They became desperate when he went through long term unemployment. Now, after being involved in MLMs, their finances have become even worse. I can only wonder how much debt they have in these various "businesses".

Old 02-04-2019, 10:40 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
That's really sad if they feel their only option in life is to put money into a MLM. But I will just sit there and watch them lose their money and go into debt. I have friends, a married couple, who are enrolled in not only one, but several of these MLMs. They became desperate when he went through long term unemployment. Now, after being involved in MLMs, their finances have become even worse. I can only wonder how much debt they have in these various "businesses".
Again, MLM's love to prey on those most vulnerable in our society.

And while a very tiny fraction of those in conventional MLM companies do make decent amounts of money, that's because they were incredibly lucky in terms of being able to recruit enough people to do their dirty work. Maybe they live near a military base, or do amway outside of the U.S. where less people are as skeptical as Americans (90% of amway's business is from overseas outside the U.S.).

For the overwhelming majority of people in MLM's, though, they lose money. That is most definitely not something MLM affiliates share with their potential recruits. And when the majority of people in MLM fail, then these people will get blamed for not trying hard enough or some other lame excuse that covers up the fact that it was a failed business model from the beginning. Absolutely a cult like group.

It's interesting how amway tries to glitz up their advertising with slick commercials showing reps using tablets and other gadgets to sell sports drinks and other items, but why would anyone even need that when they can get much better deals with much better service from sites like Amazon?

Several years ago someone I knew tried to get me to sign on to sell some water ionizer units. These things are expensive and no one's going to buy that nonsense.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:48 PM

185 posts, read 143,321 times
Buy my magic coolaid and become a millionaire! Sell that same regurgitated coolaid to your friends and family and become a multi-millionaire business owner!! Then you can retire and party for the rest of your life like the video!!! It's just that easy!!!!

Last edited by SE1SG; 02-04-2019 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: multi-

Old 02-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Again, MLM's love to prey on those most vulnerable in our society.

And while a very tiny fraction of those in conventional MLM companies do make decent amounts of money, that's because they were incredibly lucky in terms of being able to recruit enough people to do their dirty work. Maybe they live near a military base, or do amway outside of the U.S. where less people are as skeptical as Americans (90% of amway's business is from overseas outside the U.S.)..
With all the information available on the internet these days, they could easily do five minutes worth of research and find out how low their chances are of succeeding in any given MLM. The fact that they don't do this says something about their level of intelligence. That's why I have no empathy for people who lose money in these.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I got invited to a few of their meetings, and actually went to a few of them. Amway/Quixstar. There's a certain "cult-like vibe". It's a joke when they say the dress code is business formal. A bunch of suits as part of a cult is still creepy. I at least had the common sense to not sign the dotted line. From when I first went to their meeting till when I told them I won't be joining up, I kept telling myself "da faq?". It was clear that they act all friendly, but as soon as you stop giving them money, they throw you out like yesterday's garbage.

They try to present world wide dream builders like it's some "opportunity of a lifetime" when it's just another scam to cram you into a stadium, have a bunch of a-holes "turn it up" through a large scale presentation, and collect kickbacks from the overpriced motels they INSIST you must stay at (despite there being cheaper alternatives).

Quote:
Most everyone I know arranges their own travel these days. I don't know anyone who goes through travel agencies anymore. I remember before the advent of the internet, many people did go through travel agencies. Now it's easy enough for people to look for deals online, purchase their tickets and book hotels online and even read about all the places they want to go to, online. I can't imagine how travel agencies manage to stay in business.
Pretty much whatever MLMs have to offer these days. As mentioned, I'm familiar with Amway/Quixstar. You're trying to sell stuff that people could get much cheaper at Walmart, supermarket, chain store, or any other department store. They feed you that line "Amway's products are a better value because it's more concentrated, so you end up saving money" is just BS.

Quote:
No, you do not own the business. At all. You are an independent consultant/distributor for the business, but you are not a business owner.
^^ This.

A business owner gets to call his own shots, doesn't need to pay some "upline" his share of the cut, etc.. Again... YOU DO NOT OWN YOUR OWN BUSINESS with these MLMs.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 PM

If they aren't calling themselves business owners, they sometimes refer to themselves as "entrepreneurs". But they aren't that, either. (My guess is most of them never took any college business courses or they'd have a little better grasp on these terms, but I digress). A more accurate description of a person in MLM, is they are a customer of the business. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment