Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 AM

18,373 posts, read 31,468,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Might also be because they thought your husband was too qualified for a retail position if he was a carpenter by trade. I visit HD quite often here in NYC, and I can truly say they sure don't seem too selective in their hiring process to say the least.
True, here in Brooklyn HD doesn't seem to be to selective either. There are a bunch of "youngins" working there, which is fine, but believe me when I say, you cannot ask them any questions about doing any home projects or supplies needes as they haven probably ever put a nail ina wall, let alone a construction project.

I though HD was when it first opened the place where qualified people that have done a lot of home projects could answer questions or suggest products, not some home girl from the projects.....or some hipster that probably doesn't even know what primer is.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,531,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
True, here in Brooklyn HD doesn't seem to be to selective either. There are a bunch of "youngins" working there, which is fine, but believe me when I say, you cannot ask them any questions about doing any home projects or supplies needes as they haven probably ever put a nail ina wall, let alone a construction project.

I though HD was when it first opened the place where qualified people that have done a lot of home projects could answer questions or suggest products, not some home girl from the projects.....or some hipster that probably doesn't even know what primer is.......
Heck, can't talk people into buying it. They figure another coat of paint is good enough...

Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 PM

550 posts, read 1,351,430 times
I worked at Lowes for 1.5 years while in college. I hated it lol. I worked in the garden center which seemed easy but I was pretty much the loader/sales associate/stocker. I worked mostly nights so I had to stock a lot of soils, rocks, mulch, blocks, etc. Hard work indeed, especially in the summer!

I do miss the forklifts lol. The discount at the time was 10% for employees but on some products, the discount seemed to be more (I heard special order items get more). I never realized it but I utilized my discount well. I bought shingles for the roof, new exterior doors, chainlink fencing, and a bunch of gardening supplies.

I was paid like crap but I heard the pay is better now.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,480 times
I have worked at Lowes for 4 years, and they have treated me bad the whole time, even got run over by a forklift, dont even get any medical, and as far as the bathrooms being cleaned, the cashiers do it every night, and we hate it. They should have a cleaning crew to do that, i am a cashier not a bathroom cleaner...

Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 17,524 times
I work for Lowes currently, been there for two years. I only work part time since I am a college student. Did a year and a half in Outside Lawn and Garden which I found to be extremely physical work but it was a pretty relaxed environment and I enjoyed working outside. I now work in Kitchen Cabinets and enjoy it more because I get commission on selling appliances and cabinets, although I do need to learn a lot more here than I did when I worked outside. Overall I am happy with my job and it has decent benefits, like vacation, matching 401k, holiday pay, especially for a part time position.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 AM

21 posts, read 45,787 times
I don't think it is hard to get hired at Lowes or HD. These stores are not usually looking for experienced contractors to work for them unless they need a specialized experienced department head. For anything else they will (or should) train the new employees.
Their business is retail. So if you have any retail experience like Walmart or you average grocery store, you are more likely to get hired over someone who swings a hammer. I own and operate a construction business during the day and HD hired me for stocking the garden department at night because I have past retail experience... (or, most likely they couldn't find anyone else to do it!) LoL

It also really depends on the store manager and how that person runs his/her store as to the way the employees are treated. Some "bad apple" employees only care about getting a paycheck and are only out for themselves. One "bad apple" store/manager or an employee can give a bad reputation for all the other stores.

I can say we have a really good crew and the day employees are really decent hard working people that really care about our store. The pay isn't great, but it is fine for someone with a good work ethic looking for extra cash in their pocket. I does kind of suck not having a employee discount at HD

Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,929,562 times
I applied at Costco when I moved out to Arizona last July. Never heard from them. I applied because I heard it was a good place to work with decent pay and benefits. My aunt knows a woman that worked there for years and she really liked it.

This was years ago but I knew a few people that worked for Home Depot. They said the pay was good but the company itself was very militant and strict. Fair assessment? I don't know.

Good luck in your search. I wish I had some time for a part time buy my schedule with school and my current hrs won't allow it.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM

40 posts, read 155,151 times
I've worked at HD for about 2 years now in two different locations and I have to say that I really like it, however there are things that I dislike about it (i.e., No employee discounts). All my other problems with HD have to do with the locations I work at because they are all run SO differently. Other than that, the store managers and other associates are great people to work with, we get bonuses if our stores make goals, and they've been extremely flexible with my schedule. Furthermore, the pay for working retail where I live is great, compared to other retailers.

I don't use HD benefits but I haven't heard any gripes about them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment