U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,190,399 times
Default anyone work at costco? Lowes? home Depot?

I'm considering a part time job to earn some extra money. I want this job to fund some of the upgrades i have planned for my new home. So it would also be helpful if the company offered a decent discount program as well.

My first job is mon-fri 7a-4p and i have health care, dental and the like. Those benefits wouldn't be too much of an interest unless one of the other companies offers a killer program. I'm looking more towards quality treatment (from management, i know how customers can be), decent pay for a PT job and discounts on household stuff.

Things i will be interested in purchasing in the next 2 years are granite counter tops, furniture, tools, gun safe, tile and/or laminate flooring (like pergo) and so on. As a full time job i design custom homes, if that matters.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 28,801 times
I am cosidering the same thing for the same reasons and have been doing some research. I have been told that Home Depot does not give an employee discount while I know Lowes and Sears both give a %10 discount on store merchandise.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,091,250 times
I've heard getting a job at Home Depot is very hard. I know they used to pay very well for retail. My husband has applied there several times and he is trained as a fine carpenter/joiner....no, he was not called back.

A woman I used to work with years ago had a daughter working at HD. I don't think she had any special skills.

So it could be another case of who you know...?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,819,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've heard getting a job at Home Depot is very hard. I know they used to pay very well for retail. My husband has applied there several times and he is trained as a fine carpenter/joiner....no, he was not called back.

A woman I used to work with years ago had a daughter working at HD. I don't think she had any special skills.

Might also be because they thought your husband was too qualified for a retail position if he was a carpenter by trade. I visit HD quite often here in NYC, and I can truly say they sure don't seem too selective in their hiring process to say the least.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 27,687,716 times
You are all replying to a post that is so old it is growing fur. The person with one whole post got ya'll confused.

But for general information, Home Depot just lifted their 4 month old hiring freeze 2 weeks ago. Lowes has had a hiring freeze since early Jan. Costco I dont know about but since they pay well with good bennies, you can bet your house (for whatever left it might be worth in this economic depression) that they receive a thousand or more applications each and every day. Pretty tough odds of making a splash with their HR huh.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:14 PM

19,134 posts, read 13,374,710 times
Stay far far far away from Home Depot if you can. They offer terrible benefits (if any at all) zero flexibility in shifts, NO employee discount and don't have great pay. They used to have good pay, but then realized that they could hire a bunch of part timers for crap pay and then they didn't have to offer benefits. Plus, if you have experience they'll fire you quickly if you ask for more pay and just 'train' new teenagers with zero experience to do your job.

HD is ridiculous. But I hear Costco is pretty good.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM

10,428 posts, read 27,687,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Stay far far far away from Home Depot if you can. They offer terrible benefits (if any at all) zero flexibility in shifts, NO employee discount and don't have great pay. They used to have good pay, but then realized that they could hire a bunch of part timers for crap pay and then they didn't have to offer benefits. Plus, if you have experience they'll fire you quickly if you ask for more pay and just 'train' new teenagers with zero experience to do your job.

HD is ridiculous. But I hear Costco is pretty good.
Yes you are mostly right. Home Depot is not a very nice place to work for. Lowes does treat their employees better, way better. Both pay crappy unless you are in specialty sales. Lowes pretty much went to a lot of part timers so they dont have to pay benifits while HD still has all full time staff. Benefits are just about the same. They both use the same software to screen job applicants.

You are also right about HD used to pay good. Back in the 80s when they were a new company. They proudly advertised that they only hired ex contractors who knew their depts. They hired plumbers to work the plumbing dept and electicians to work the electrical dept. Today they all just hire any uneducated dumbo from the street who if asked a technical question would run for the hills.

Both stores have employees who the closest they ever came to home improvement was to hang a curtain rod for dear ol mom. Yet I hear customers ask them technical questions and Im just a nearby customer who listens to the blind leading the blind. I usually butt in and help the customers and Im only a customer myself.

And I agree that Costco is a good company to work for but probably nearly impossible to get into.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,962,915 times
Quote:

I think 90% of the time it's who you know

Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 AM

2,365 posts, read 7,458,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I think 90% of the time it's who you know

or he could have been overqualified for what they were willing to pay.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 AM

8,409 posts, read 13,452,051 times
Quote:

I was just going to say the same thing! My DH has been applying there for over 5 years. He has over 15 years of landscaping experience. Not to be negative, just giving my honest opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment