U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM

8,525 posts, read 7,494,968 times
Default I'm 34 years old, I am told old to start over???

I just turned 34y/o 3 weeks ago. I was supposed to start a new job but the company has decided not to move forward with the offer due to budgeting issues. I am getting concerned that I am getting to damn old for this stuff with these companies. Before you know it I'll be 40 y/o. I'll have to start the job search process over again. It may take my untill early next year to get stable again. I feel like I am getting to damn old for this stuff. Has anyone ever felt this way?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM

4,892 posts, read 11,412,632 times
if 34 is old, i am in trouble. i am out of the work force right now because i stay home with my son. so when i do, are they going to tell me i am too old-?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,389,228 times
No, you're not too old.

I followed a career path for 18 years and decided in my early 30s to resign and go back to uni. It was the best thing I ever did. AND I'll keep doing things like that throughout my life. It's about the journey as far as I can see and you're never too old to try something new or shake things up a little.

Just do it Ron, you won't regret it.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM

3,044 posts, read 2,996,379 times
Mid 50's - retired after 34 years in Education. Starting next fall as a consultant. The main thing I'm concerned about right now is the record-keeping for the government. Personally, I don't think you are ever too old to start over.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 PM

21,680 posts, read 37,010,844 times
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!

I have been having this midlife crisis. (is midlife at 30)?

I was let go from a company I worked for four years about a year ago and I just told myself I have had it with the go to work for 8 hours and come home life to do it all over again. I am sick of the b.s. of kissing butt, doing tasks for others, and working with brainless humans. I have been doing stuff this past year that only requires me to do the job like flipping houses, selling on ebay and other stuff but it no guarantee income so things can get slow.

I find myself wanting to sleep or just not be as proactive in doing activities.
I think it the lack of exercise and gravity is taking it toll.
Unlike in the younger years when we was more active and energetic to concur world.
I remember when I use to drink coffee from a coffee house it would make me feel wirey, jittery, and bam bam I was getting things done.
Now when I drink a latte I want to go take a nap.

I hate job searching now because I dont feel like trying to get to corporate top or motivation to work hard for a better posistion in the company. I just want a job that has weekly paychecks and I am ok with that.
If I knew working from home would have steady income that would average to cover basic needs I would definitely continue doing it but I know it not good for my future in life.

I am 36 and the big 40 looks very scary can I be at life Ideals in four years right now it looking grim. I am not being pessimistic just judging the past will follow what will happen in days ahead in the four years. I dont think it realistic of life expectations what should happen when we reach certain age.
I do have a loving partner for four years so least that one is being accomplish.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM

23,311 posts, read 14,934,101 times
Iíve had my midlife crisis and had it two or three times over the years. First 34 isnít too old to start anew,,,,, however it is frightening and frustrating. Things always seem to workout if you give it a chance. Right now, donít make stupid mistakes and do the wrong thing. The last two times that happened to me I said ď Iím not allowing this to happen again!Ē,,,, but it did and I never made any positive changes in my way of life to correct the direction I was going. Looking back I wish I had become my own boss and started my own company working for myself. Start off slow and work into your own business doing what you do best.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 PM

5,363 posts, read 8,239,955 times
I was exactly 34 years old when I said good bye to my 15 years of banking. Things were going well, but I wanted a change. I bought a house in a different state and looked forward to discarding the old. I desired a life more on my own terms, with fewer pressures and less control by someone who knew little about me. That was over 20 yrs ago and I've never regretted it; Not for a single minute. Life is about change, how you respond to it, and what you want to make from it.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,672 posts, read 10,667,234 times
No way! Seek out your new life, whatever that may be.

At 39, I left my 20-year-old marriage, at 40, I married my favorite hubby (still with him 13 years later), at 45, moved out of my home town for the first time in my life, at 48, was laid off from my job and found another, and last year, at 52, moved 1500 miles away after retiring w/DH. Life is good. Go after it! And best of luck to you.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 AM

41,856 posts, read 18,721,710 times
Quote:
I'm 34 years old, I am told old to start over???
Is 34 years of age is too old to start over? No way guy, you haven't even started yet!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,137,251 times
YEP, 34 is the beginning of the end.

NO age is ever too old. I used to complain about never feeling 'grown up.' I had passed all of life's markers, and it had never happened.

My dear father-in-love, whom I adored, and was a good 45+ years my SR, pulls me aside, and whispers, "If you're lucky, you'll never feel grown up."

I think 'questioning' in our midlife is Nature's way of making us reassess who we are, what we're doing, and where we're headed. You may be forced into making some fun, or even painful, choices and decisions -- but better to have some green grass on the other side if what you're experiencing looks like a bald spot of dirt, or worse yet, a mud hole.

Please DM my husband and let him know I'm serious about getting myself a motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment