Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Private Sector employee: What would you think of being furloughed at full but late pay?
I would hate it because I love my job and live to work 2 2.99%
I would hate it because I live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford a late check 5 7.46%
I would love it because I have so many things I want to do but so little time when I am working 58 86.57%
I have no opinion at all 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:11 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Agree, very difficult to get your foot in the door. A friend of mine has been trying to get a government job for 20 years and never has gotten even one interview. I've tried on and off for about 7 years and nothing either.
I've had two state job interviews in the last few months. The only issue has been pay, as well as an increase in the cost of living between where I currently am and the places I'd be going. The jobs have paid slightly less than what I make now. The cost of living where I'd be going is more. My guess is I'd lose 20%-30% purchasing power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
If it's a paid vacation then sure, why not.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Another ridiculous go Trump poll that touches on one simple minded subject ignoring the fact that the shut down cost us 11 billion dollars with 25% of that permanently lost. Source: C.B.O.

Instead of asking an agenda driven hypothetical question, why no go directly to the people who were hurt by Trump's temper tantrum shut down? I'd be willing to bet that most of them thought that harming American's because of Trump's vanity project was not a great idea, especially since the majority of we the people do not want out tax payer dollars wasted on an ineffective barrier.

It's one thing to know and prepare in advance that you will be furloughed for a period of time, and you don't know how long you will be without pay, and it's another to be blind sided by it and not prepared. It would be especially hard on people not earning a high wage. That's a whole other category a fair poll would need to consider.

But fair is never in the equation of cult 45 now is it?

Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its obviously pretty dang competitive since its so difficult to get in for most from my experience. Ive been trying for three to four years on usajobs.gov (With a bachelors degree and Veteran status) to no avail.
Vet pref doesn't overcome lack of qualifications. Take your current salary, cut 30% off and look at jobs for that pay rate. The competition for STEM jobs isn't as thick as you think. Sure, lots of people apply but 90% of them aren't competitive for the job. Everyone seems to have the same mistaken beliefs you and Bobsell have.

Reality is we lose people all the time because the private sector offers them better pay and benefits. I've got about 15 open positions right now that we can't fill. Two more new graduates turned us down last week. If pay and benefits were as wonderful as you believe, they should be dancing for joy instead.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The government employees get back pay and unemployment benefits. Totally not happening in the private sector.
That's not true across the board. Many (if not all) Feds will have to refund any unemployment benefits that were received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You still don't get it...
Lots of people don't. I imagine those folks have never experienced it or don't know anyone who has so I chalk it up to ignorance.

And it's not the ignorance that bothers me, it's when they're presented with points of view they may not have considered and yet they refuse to concede even a little.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I would love it because I could get stuff done around my house that I need to do and keep putting off. And I plan carefully and live within my means so as long as I got backed pay within 3 months or so it’d be great. However that said I don’t think most fall in that category and I don’t think we should shut down government like they do.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:00 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Vet pref doesn't overcome lack of qualifications. Take your current salary, cut 30% off and look at jobs for that pay rate. The competition for STEM jobs isn't as thick as you think. Sure, lots of people apply but 90% of them aren't competitive for the job. Everyone seems to have the same mistaken beliefs you and Bobsell have.

Reality is we lose people all the time because the private sector offers them better pay and benefits. I've got about 15 open positions right now that we can't fill. Two more new graduates turned us down last week. If pay and benefits were as wonderful as you believe, they should be dancing for joy instead.
Regardless of the pay and benefits the private sector offers, your chances of making it to retirement at a company today is minuscule. As the outsourcing, insourcing and massive workforce reductions intensify, only to get worse, I don’t know why any level headed person would choose the private sector u less they landed a well paying upper management gig where you can sock away a ton of money quickly and then move on. Your chances of making it to 45- 50 years old in the private sector isn’t very promising for most people

More and pay benefits mean nothing if there is no job security regardless of how valuable you are

Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Paid vacation that doesn't use up any vacation days, what's not to like?

But then, I don't spend every penny as fast as I get it, so I'd be fine for a few months waiting for my pay check. Especially for a federal job where they do this every time there is any budget that needs to be approved and they've been doing it for a couple of decades now. It really shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:22 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Lots of people don't. I imagine those folks have never experienced it or don't know anyone who has so I chalk it up to ignorance.

And it's not the ignorance that bothers me, it's when they're presented with points of view they may not have considered and yet they refuse to concede even a little.
Agree. Also agree it's not the ignorance, but the absolute belief in their ignorance and the way they exclaim it to any and all in earshot. For every 10 people who read this thread, nine of them will go away believing what they read and telling it to others. Ignorance spreads.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:52 PM

596 posts, read 730,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Agree. Also agree it's not the ignorance, but the absolute belief in their ignorance and the way they exclaim it to any and all in earshot. For every 10 people who read this thread, nine of them will go away believing what they read and telling it to others. Ignorance spreads.
I agree with you and HokieFan. I will add that they're not only ignorant, but extremely obnoxious and arrogant with their ignorance. "Well, if it was me, I would love it and blah blah blah because I save and live within my means. I would have been expecting it. I'm smart enough to manage my money." Just smug and foolish. I wonder if a lot of these people realize that many fed workers don't even make that much money to start with. Some people believe the myth that most fed workers are sitting on their butts doing nothing while making 6 figures. There are plenty of GS levels that don't make much at all. It's hard to save for a rainy day when you barely make enough to make ends meet (yes, that happens even to people who live within their means). And if you live in the DC area like some of us do, you realize that even making 6 figures doesn't necessarily mean you're sitting in the lap of luxury.

In addition, some people are currently helping to care for extended family or other obligations, and suddenly missing a couple of paychecks becomes a bigger deal than you ever thought it would. I'm not a government worker myself, so this doesn't even affect me directly, but it just boggles my mind that so many people don't give a damn about their fellow human beings. If you were able to plan your life out perfectly and never once fell on hard times or had any setbacks, then I say kudos to you, and I hope you realize how fortunate you are. But many people do fall on hard times, and many people's lives don't turn out exactly how they planned it. And that doesn't automatically mean they're out here spending every dime on frivolous nonsense either. Some people are living paycheck to paycheck because they don't make enough to live any other way, not because they're throwing their money away on nonsense. Have any of you people ever had a serious medical emergency, where even if you have insurance you're still stuck with thousands of dollars in medical bills? Ever had to help pay for the care of aging parents, where now your paycheck is not just responsible for the well-being of your household but your parents (or other loved one) as well? Life happens, and everything doesn't always neatly fit into a line item on your perfectly prepared budget. But some of you have such a limited world view and care so little about other people that you won't even try to understand unless/until you find yourself in the shoes of the people that you currently look down on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment