Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:30 PM

134 posts, read 103,145 times

Advertisements

Yes, I’m still at my current job I wold tell someone to away from. Lol. I’m over 50, and it’s so hard to get interviews anymore let alone job offers. I don’t believe this job will be around too much longer, more layoffs ahead with this company’s outdated business model. this job has caused me to lose essential sales and marketing skills because it is absolutely behind the times but.......I make an okay salary and have flexibility so I’m riding it out.

I thought I asked all the right questions with this job. It’s better than the other but I was completely lied too about certain financial aspects and recognize that now. Turnover is key and we certainly have our share. My supervisor has something like 200% turnover on our team in less than 4 years. I’m the senior member and just have 3 years. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 02:35 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
You have trouble at the last couple of jobs with the amount of work and missed time off, no?

Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
Yes, I’m still at my current job I wold tell someone to away from. Lol. I’m over 50, and it’s so hard to get interviews anymore let alone job offers. I don’t believe this job will be around too much longer, more layoffs ahead with this company’s outdated business model. this job has caused me to lose essential sales and marketing skills because it is absolutely behind the times but.......I make an okay salary and have flexibility so I’m riding it out.

I thought I asked all the right questions with this job. It’s better than the other but I was completely lied too about certain financial aspects and recognize that now. Turnover is key and we certainly have our share. My supervisor has something like 200% turnover on our team in less than 4 years. I’m the senior member and just have 3 years. Pathetic.
I understand totally, and I can relate.

Anyhow, whatever happens at my workplace now, I don't worry because I'm not going to be homeless because I've worked hard for many years, and I live a simple life. That's a good thing.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:13 PM

134 posts, read 103,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You have trouble at the last couple of jobs with the amount of work and missed time off, no?
No, not me

Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM

233 posts, read 191,055 times
1. Company Glassdoor rating less than 3.8 stars. Don't dismiss the bad reviews as sour grapes - if it is a consistent trend it is highly likely to be indicative of the company culture. Personally, I limit my interviews to companies with 4.0 star ratings and comparable number of reviews.

2. Baby boomer boss. If my direct manager is 50+ I won't take a chance in moving forward with the position. In my field, with rare exception, the generational gap is far too wide for me to accept dinosaur, my-way-or-no-way micromanagement practices that will soon reveal itself with this demographic.

3. Lack of clear team, individual goals and expectations. If I have to set my own workplan goals and the team doesn't have one, overearching metric we are striving to meet, that poses a huge problem during performance review time.

4. If the company doesn't have a clear, systematic way for rewarding tenure - run.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
And you are still there (?) Haha. Just kidding. Anyway, anyone stays in a bad company for a reason or many reasons. Anybody might have known the company s/he is planning to get into is not so good, but still wants to get the job there because s/he needs to work and earn money to pay bills badly.

To me, one way (of many ways) to spot the company, besides seeing or knowing the turnovers of that company, is to read the reviews about the company on indeed, glassdoor and many other websites. If the company has many 1 & 2 star reviews, you better to beware. Don't believe in 5 stars. More often, those are probably written by the management or the *sskissers. 3 & 4 stars are more reasonable to believe.
That is only good to some extent. For example, I have one friend and several former coworkers who all worked for the same unit in an organization that tends to get bad reviews on Glassdoor. They all really liked their unit quite a bit. The main reason they left was because it was a state agency and there is no pay raises there. Meanwhile, my last job has tons of people who leave and come back or who move within the organization. However, my unit (which has almost no reviews) had horrible morale and turnover in the past couple of years. You would not have known that from Glassdoor. You really have to be able to find the particular unit/job you are doing to make any judgment.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 PM

74 posts, read 55,265 times
I have found that a very reliable way to assess how a company treats its employees is to look at the way the employees treat the company's clientele. This is obviously more difficult in an industry that does not deal directly with the public, of course, but with a bit of digging, it's possible.

In my experience, the way employees treat customers/clients can provide a direct reflection of how those employees are treated by senior management. If the leadership values their employees as assets and treats them that way, those employees will pass that on to their clients. On the other hand, if upper management considers employees to be a necessary inconvenience that they have to put up with to get their bonuses, well, that attitude comes through to the customers as well.

I'll be the first to agree that it is not a perfect correlation, and there could be wide variations among different work units depending on who manages them. But it's another clue that a savvy job-seeker can explore, along with the other excellent suggestions in this thread, in assessing the culture and work environment of a potential employer.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Look on glassdoor reviews.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Look on glassdoor reviews.
Yes, very revealing and eye-opening One of the few assets for applicants that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment