Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:58 PM

117 posts, read 93,075 times

Advertisements

Those of you who are mentioning looking for a remote option are right.

I interviewed for one, and the conversation was going well.. but then I wrecked it I think, because I started enthusiastically saying that "I want to move to Austin ( the company Hq city ), and I'd be able to get that move done quickly and then start working soon.. etc..".. and I think I came off like, I was thinking of my own needs.

But I mistakenly had the impression that, saying all of that, would make me sound like a good prospect for them if Im willing to move to the headquarter city of their organization. I need to shut up during interview. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
This is sort of a poll.. but moreso an idea of how crazy this might be for me to do.

I live in Boise, ID ( from L.A. ) and i'm ready to move again, to a warmer area, and a bigger city, with more diversity. (I'm white, but just like diversity )

I'd love to move to either TX or FL ( because I like south american countries and like to travel easier to them )

So, if you had $11,000 in your name, and were having issues with getting a job here in ID, and have been trying to get jobs in TX or FL but havent gotten past the 1st or 2nd stage of the interview process, would you risk just moving to one of these places ? Just pick up and move with just that savings? It can go fast, if you end up not finding anything.

(snip)
If you have an exit plan, I'd encourage you to go where the MOST work is as stack rank of importance item no. 1. Where you "want" to live, no. 2. Where you can afford to live, no. 3.

I have no idea where the most work is in what you do. I moved to Seattle predicated solely on 1, 2, 3 in that order. This was the most work, yep. Is it an improvement on where I was, a place to make a home? Oh yes. And No. 3, compared to where I was, this place was a financial dawdle.

Things have changed past 20 years, Seattle is now viciously expensive. But people still want to move here, in droves, because it's a jobs gold mine. The decision would be much tougher today.

OTOH, if you want to move to Miami or whatever and try your luck, I've made good and bad bets with more than eleven grand (best bet: $93K for an Ivy MBA will pay off in vastly higher income. It sure has, best gamble I ever made). Go for it.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 PM

117 posts, read 93,075 times
I agree, about exit plans and importance items. This is why I should probably favor TX over FL. There is more growth there - much more.

I tried Seattle for 3 years or so. I couldn't handle the overcastness.. but many do like it obviously. I had a negative view of Seattle then, though, also because it was in the bust times of '08, '09 where I struggled to stay employed, so I had to move back to L.A. to avoid unemployment.. but obviously things have changed there now.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
If you're moving to Texas, go to Austin, the tech market there is good.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 PM

104 posts, read 84,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
make the move, you can get a room on Craigslist and keep costs down to bare minimum, you can squeeze 6-8 months out of your savings

you are unemployed in both places regardless, why not move now? you will burn through savings in both locations, and if you are driving there, the moving costs isn't high

unless you are somehow living for free in Boise, I dont know why people think it is cheaper to stay

even if you can't get a higher paying job in Florida, you can always get a food service job to get some income
That's what I was wondering too

port arthur texas looks beautiful. I love the ocean. It's inexpensive too. Unsure about the tech industry there

Old 02-05-2019, 07:00 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Don't go to FL. Salaries are lower than other states and depending on where you end up jobs are hard to come by for professionals. Southwest FL is mostly retirees and low paying service jobs. There are two main types of jobs in FL, service and agriculture. You may be able to get something on the East Coast with an aerospace company. Go to TX.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
52 and only $11K in savings? Holy moly. Here's to hoping you have separate retirement savings.

For one of the posters who said they didn't think it would matter if you had a job or not before you make the move, I disagree.
Unless you plan on bunking with someone how will you find an apartment? They will check your credit history and employment.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
52 and only $11K in savings? Holy moly. Here's to hoping you have separate retirement savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
I think I agree with the no's. I should've made that move when I was at the 25k level at least.
from first page, he had $25k, now he has less than half at $11k.

how long before he has $5k before he asks again? maybe when he hits $1k will he decide he rather be homeless where winters aren't cold enough to kill him?

Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
from first page, he had $25k, now he has less than half at $11k.

how long before he has $5k before he asks again? maybe when he hits $1k will he decide he rather be homeless where winters aren't cold enough to kill him?
I missed that nugget. Heck no. Nope, nope!
Never make a move thinking things will "get better" once you get there.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I missed that nugget. Heck no. Nope, nope!
Never make a move thinking things will "get better" once you get there.
get better? how about, can it be worse? he is spending down his last $11k, whether it is in Idaho or Texas, he is going to spend it down

Texas and Florida have better job opportunities than Idaho, they have better services for poor people too, they don't hit minus temperatures and he WANT to live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment