Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,405,816 times

Advertisements

So I asked the company some follow up questions. They said the pay rate is something I would work out with the co-founder/director (he was in second interview) and they said the amount of hours depends on much work I can do (I.e time I have) and how much extra work is in the pipe. Also, they said it’s a way for me to see how they work and for them to see how I work. They said they usually go to their 1099ers first before posting full time positions.

Last edited by captainmidnight; 02-08-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 3,758,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
So I asked the company some follow up questions. They said the pay rate is something I would work out with the co-founder/director (he was in second interview) and they said the amount of hours depends on much work I can do (I.e time) and how much extra work is in the people. Also, they said it’s a way for me to see how they work and for them to see how I work. They said they usually go to their 1099ers first before posting full time positions.
All of this makes sense. You have to make sure the terms and rate makes sense for you. You have to consider everything it means to be on a 1099.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:10 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,405,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
All of this makes sense. You have to make sure the terms and rate makes sense for you. You have to consider everything it means to be on a 1099.
Ok thanks. I know I’d be paying both portions of Medicare and SS taxes. Now have to figure out rate. During this job search, I’ve been approached from recruiters for similar 1099 positions paying $55/hour.

Last edited by captainmidnight; 02-08-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 04:34 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,675,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
1099 has some really great benefits, financially, if you do it right. In fact, I often prefer to be 1099 due to these benefits (mostly tax benefits).
What would those benefits be?

As many point out, 1099 employment is most often a cheap dodge to get a skilled employee at minimum cost and with zero commitment. In many fields, "temp to hire" is a badly worn-out joke.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 PM

17,674 posts, read 29,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
What would those benefits be?.
You can sock away a lot more money towards retirement.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 AM

10,350 posts, read 5,513,446 times
Employee versus Independent Contractor is not a choice, it isn’t optional, and it isn’t something that can be negotiated. In a great many situations, people are improperly classified as contractors rather than employees. While this generally doesn’t create issues for the misclassified employee, the liability is HUGE for the employer that has misclassified an employee as a contractor.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,092,569 times
Quote:
Background: Currently work full time at a toxic job I am looking to leave ASAP.

I interviewed with a company I want to work for and a job that was nearly perfect for what I want to do.

I did two interview rounds and just found out they went with someone else for the full time position. But then they said “we would love for you to do part time 1099 work for us. We are growing quickly and want to keep you in mind for future full time positions”.

What should I do here? Do you think they mean the part about keeping me in mind for future full time positions? I do know for a fact they are growing and obtaining more work.
My advice....Jump on it.

They don't want to lose you so they obviously have invented a job for you. You are at a toxic place now.....Go...You'll likely get into a better position soon at this new company.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,675,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You can sock away a lot more money towards retirement.
So you get paid, say, 3X equivalent salary, for as many weeks as you are actually employed, and have to cover your own healthcare, vacation and PTO/sick time. As well as all employment taxes on that 'high' income.

So with any extra, you can feed the same individual retirement plans you can while W-2 employed.

And, I guess, hope you keep getting called for contact work until you're ready to retire?

Like so many "employment alternatives," contract work would seem to suit the still-single, DINK, apartment- job- and locale-hopping under-35 set far more than anyone else. And have some nasty possible outcomes when the contracts stop coming.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:22 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,340,659 times
Quote:
My second interview was with the co-founder. He mentioned they had over $15 million in revenue and last week they just got $10 million in funding from an investor. The co-founded said they would use that funding towards growing their employee base in order to handle their increased workload. Seems to be that why would they cheap out to have me as a 1099 if what he said were true?
You'd have to see their actual P/L (Profit and Loss) statement to know what is behind that information. $15 million in revenue isn't a big deal if the company is losing $2 million a year and has $8 million in debt.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:25 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,340,659 times
Quote:
I honestly have no idea. How could I ask them?
You can't and frankly it is none of your business. Don't worry about the employer's issues, think of your own. You are contemplating leaving a full-time job for part-time work without any benefits, that's a huge red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment