Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 04:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times

Advertisements

I don't know what I've come to hate more: job applications that require a cover letter - but don't let you know until you're embedded in the online application process and have no real time to stop and write one, or applications that give no space for a cover letter, e-note or other introductory document.

I've been tripped by several applications lately that required an uploaded cover letter... at nearly the end of the process. They're across just a wide enough spread that a generic letter won't do any good, and at least one timed out and dumped me when I tried to rip one out that looked professional enough. And these are invariably for jobs where nothing much in a cover would add to the resume and info upload. "Hi, I'm really excited, please pick me..."

And then just now I applied for a job I'd like to get with a company I'd love to work for... but with no option to write an introduction, a note or upload a cover letter, I had no way to tell them about some exceptional and relevant off-resume qualifications. I will no doubt get bounced in the first auto-screening, since without that extra info, my resume presents as a meh and generic candidate. (I am a name someone in the hiring chain would likely recognize, if they knew the connections.)

And they're too big to have any kind of direct access for me to follow up and send the letter separately, as I have sometimes done with small to medium companies.

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Cheat the system. Include your cover letter in your resume document!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Cheat the system. Include your cover letter in your resume document!
I've done that, but I prefer cover letters to be either the brief note services like Indeed allow you to write on the spot (which is often enough to include just a bit more info), or write a very targeted one for an exceptional opportunity that can use some background narrative.

If you don't know what the options are until you're halfway through an online process, it's hard to rearrange the ducks in mid-air, as it were.

Besides, the auto-process can rarely parse a simply-fomatted resume well enough to get the info in the right slots. Attaching a separate doc would likely get you filed as Bozo the Clown's left shoe polisher from 1942-1961.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
or skip it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment