Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:26 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

Advertisements

What causes people to be non-responsive on platforms like LinkedIn or even direct emails.

I have noticed this even when I am not looking for a job but rather common interest in esoteric topics, its like pulling teeth to get people to respond.

What is everyone so pre-occupied with that they cant be bothered to develop intellectually like minded people or exchange ideas, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Everyone communicates differently.

Just my .02 - but communication is a two way street. If I need something from a colleague or staff, I'll typically use the medium I know will get me the fastest result. By the same token, if someone needs me to do something, I would prefer a text/email vs. a voicemail or just mentioning it at the office kitchen.

The same for social media platforms. I use them to glean information rather than communicate out. I send connection requests out and respond to them. But have rarely posted anything outside of recognizing my connections work anniversaries or new jobs.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
What causes people to be non-responsive...
...its like pulling teeth to get people to respond.
What is everyone so pre-occupied with...
They're only looking for their Unicorn

Old 02-17-2019, 11:03 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
What causes people to be non-responsive on platforms like LinkedIn or even direct emails.
Sometimes, because they're simply deluged with contact requests. Sometimes, it's because the initiators of communications to them aren't as original or interesting as they think. I sometimes get unsolicited messages that just aren't interesting to me. When I reach out to someone, I want to be very brief, very succinct, and very quickly establish a connection and the presence of a common interest. "Dr. Soandso, I saw your talk on fiddlegadget at GadgetCon and see a parallel use case in my industry. I'd deeply appreciate a chance to discuss this at your convenience".

Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
I'm not too sure about LinkedIn, but chances are that the reasons people don't respond quickly on email these days are the same reasons why people don't respond to facsimiles these days. They are just outdated forms of communication.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Because something one person sees as 'developing intellectually' I may see as intrusive, annoying, or not worth my time. (I am saying this in a general sense, not speaking about OP in particular, I don't want this to be misinterpreted as an attack, or anything like that)

Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Because something one person sees as 'developing intellectually' I may see as intrusive, annoying, or not worth my time. (I am saying this in a general sense, not speaking about OP in particular, I don't want this to be misinterpreted as an attack, or anything like that)
But when your making initial contact you are still trying to establish a base line of where that other person is. For example I am highly interested in particle acceleration and I have a degree and have done my homework on the topic. I usually get the connection but getting meaningful correspondence about the shared interest (these people are literally working in the field) is like pulling teeth.

I know the platform is being used because the see the connection request and message and accept it. OR trying to follow up on FOIA requests, etc.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:

I have noticed this even when I am not looking for a job but rather common interest in esoteric topics, its like pulling teeth to get people to respond.

What is everyone so pre-occupied with that they cant be bothered to develop intellectually like minded people or exchange ideas, etc?

They are pre-occupied with their own lives.They usually have a friend's list and you are not on it.
Why would they open a message from someone they don't know and risk getting malware etc.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:58 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I am on a HOA Board of directors and our biggest problem is that I cannot get people to respond. In fact, weirdly they object to more than like 2 e-mails per day.

One trustee told me she doesn't have a desktop computer at home and she has to use her phone. That can be really difficult to compose a message with and also to compose to the right people. So she just won't respond.

But it is absolutely infuriating.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
They are pre-occupied with their own lives.They usually have a friend's list and you are not on it.
Why would they open a message from someone they don't know and risk getting malware etc.
But yet they accept the request which has an intro message that they have to read ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment