Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:13 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times

Advertisements

A friend told me today that HR doesn't always remove job listings in a timely manner even if the job has been filled.

He said he found a job at a large company, so he applied for it online. Days after it, through a friend of a friend who works there, he checked into it to find out who the hiring manager was. Turns out the job was already filled a month before he even applied for it yet the job posting is still there online on the company website even today!

He joked he's waiting for an e-mail from HR to tell him he wasn't selected for the position because they found someone else who was a better match. Which would be a lie, because the job was filled even before he applied for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
A friend told me today that HR doesn't always remove job listings in a timely manner even if the job has been filled.

He said he found a job at a large company, so he applied for it online. Days after it, through a friend of a friend who works there, he checked into it to find out who the hiring manager was. Turns out the job was already filled a month before he even applied for it yet the job posting is still there online on the company website even today!

He joked he's waiting for an e-mail from HR to tell him he wasn't selected for the position because they found someone else who was a better match. Which would be a lie, because the job was filled even before he applied for it.
You seem to be surprised. HR is useless for the most part.

I got a turn down letter from HR from the company that hired me and was already a week or two into the job. From the woman in HR who interviewed me before being interviewed by the person who would be my boss.

Another time got a turn down letter when I applied for another internal position for a company I had been working at for 5 years, and thanking me for my interest in their company....I took that right to the head of HR.

He most likely will get that email.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You seem to be surprised. HR is useless for the most part.

I got a turn down letter from HR from the company that hired me and was already a week or two into the job. From the woman in HR who interviewed me before being interviewed by the person who would be my boss.

Another time got a turn down letter when I applied for another internal position for a company I had been working at for 5 years, and thanking me for my interest in their company....I took that right to the head of HR.

He most likely will get that email.
I'm surprised because HR is using HR software to track and close the funnel for hiring. They post a job and track it through the entire process. Or they aren't using it properly. It seems that once a job has been filled, it would remove the listing from their website after a month. You'd think they would be annoyed enough to want to reduce useless job submissions when the job is already filled, since it presumably creates more work for them. The internal workings of HR must be far worse than many imagine.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:40 AM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
HR functions are mostly all automated these days. Applying for jobs on career websites is like throwing your resume in the trash. It's the slowest and least effective way to get hired. Go direct.

HR has no power to make a new position that is not currently projected to open for a company. The executives have that power.

And the emails you get from HR are just automated pre-programmed responses that hold no meaning. Only time you get real communication from them is to arrange a time to interview or schedule a next step. Or when you get officially hired and go through the onboarding process.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post

And the emails you get from HR are just automated pre-programmed responses that hold no meaning. Only time you get real communication from them is to arrange a time to interview or schedule a next step. Or when you get officially hired and go through the onboarding process.
Apparently they aren't automated enough to keep a job posting open and continue to accept applications for it on the company's website when it has already been filled a month ago.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 PM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Apparently they aren't automated enough to keep a job posting open and continue to accept applications for it on the company's website when it has already been filled a month ago.
That is just lazyness for not putting an end date or going back in to close it from being public.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
They don't remove the listings because they are always shopping for someone cheaper.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:23 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Turnover must be high, that's why they don't bother taking down a job ad.

They just hired someone? That's OK, someone else quit or got fired. Time to start interviews again.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Don't apply for jobs that weren't posted in the last 30 days, and you don't have to worry about it.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,782 times
I oftentimes see job postings from the same companies over and over again. It makes me wander if they just have a high turnover rate so they never take down the ad. I almost applied to a company where I saw this, but I knew someone who worked at the place and found through them that the owner of the company is a complete psycho apparently. She always keeps her sponsored ads up on Indeed. I STILL see them and now terrible reviews are starting to be written about the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment