Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:42 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times

Advertisements

I have built my business from the ground up. Almost 11 years in, it's not really very thrilling and exciting, but it does make me proud when I do the invoicing each month and pull in a nice profit. When I have new projects to do, I often feel refreshed. Some of my projects that I've been doing regularly for a long time are not exciting to me at all so I am just muddling through. Sometimes I will finish a project and let the client know that I'm no longer available if it really gets to be too dreary and boring.

So overall, the work itself is not as exciting as it once was, but I enjoy the perks enough (I make my own hours, I work from wherever I want to be, I can generally take on the projects I want to, I can "fire" clients if they are jerks, I take off time to travel when I want to, etc.) that I'm still very thankful that this is my work situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 12:16 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,319,627 times
I do remember how excited I was when I got my dream career. When I got it, I swore to myself I would work hard and keep it. Now I still have the same one and still like it. I don't feel bored with it at all. I did have some hardship during the time working here though, but now I get over it.

Sometimes I see people and job and their workplace is almost the same as people with their dates and marriage or common law.

When you were young, you dreamed for a bf/gf. You had to make yourself look good to find a date (someone maybe lucky, had a good look naturally and does not have to work so hard, the date just came to him/her). You went through many dates to find the one you would think this is Mr. or Ms. Right for you, and you felt excited, you wished to be, to live with this person for the rest of your life. But then you live with that person for some time, months, or a few years, or many years, then you find out your husband/wife/partner is not the right one for you. You find out lots of faults in the person. And you want to or have to get out of the relationship fast. For someone, it's easy. For others, it's hard. There are reasons for it, or just good luck or bad luck.

When people get what they have and they have that for a while, or a long time, they feel bored, tired, or sick of what they have. They find ugly thing out of what they have. They don’t appreciate of what they have anymore. And they want to look for new things.

Yeah, some people are happy, or okay with what they have. They don’t care to look for new things or what they don’t have. And people in society laugh at them, saying they are so easy to be pleased, not ambitious. That sounds like a bad thing.

The point is people do have dreams. And for many people, when they get what they dreamed for, they get excited at first, but eventually they feel what they got is not so great. They start to look for something else. Some people keep chasing rainbows their whole life, and they are never happy. The reality is the older you get, the harder you can find what you want as when you were young. To a certain time, you just have your situation and try to change your thinking and attitude.

I agree that it's not easy to find a job you want and keep it nowadays. The same with dating and marriage also. People have changed so much. More and more people went/go to universities/colleges and have a few or many degrees. People are smarter and smarter, and more critical. Life is getting more complicated. Everything is becoming more difficult.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:42 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,588,321 times
Man, when I turned 14 I couldn't wait to trade-in farm work for a real punch clock job. It was so easy. Teach groups of kids tennis...and then when summer ended and I started working at the grocery store I realized what a good spot that was. Life was good.

The first office job was intimidating. Six of us started. I was easily the poorest one. Having worked for years I didn't quite have the butterflies anymore.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:00 PM

53 posts, read 24,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
who's holding the middle class accountable for them spending themselves into poverty?

disposable income hasn't really dropped over time, it's been slowly going up, about the same as inflation

it might "lose" to inflation sometimes, but it doesn't really account for a shrinking middle class

but yes, the middle class is shrinking, they rather buy their gadgets and trinkets than saving their income, this is not the "wealthy's fault". If someone makes a new toy, no one is forced to buy it, but they do then complain things are too expensive? O_o

no one is looking to pass any laws "forcing" people to only pay X% of their income on rent. If the area they want is more $, too bad, law says you can't live here until you make more... So why isn't this being proposed?
Because the western economic model centers around the availability of credit and relies on debt for continuous growth. If the middle class actually lived within their means, there would be a collapse (or, "correction", depending on your view ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment