Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:08 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times

Advertisements

about 12 years ago my peers and I had a meeting with h.r. she looked around the table - 12 of us and said … in the past 2 years ..only 2 days of sick days have been used.from all 12 of us ..we were all supervisors so we didn't get the sick hours paid to us if not used..)
she said how is this possible..

I said our plates are full and to take any time off.... pushes the projects forward into others.....and we are from the old-school..very dedicated for the TEAM if one of us calls in sick...it can be hell for the others.

our attitudes were if we NEEDED time for a sick spouse/kid or us..we should be able to take it with no questions asked...

one dynamic ive seen in the workplace....is sickdays are contagious..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 05:04 AM

8,195 posts, read 3,474,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Even though this may be true, and the issues are legit, while it may be sad and I may feel sympathetic...if I hire someone to do a job, I need that person *there* and *doing* the job. I'm not running a charity, and if someone can't do the job then I need to get someone who will.

On the other hand, if a regular and [usually] dependable employee is ill with a contagious/communicable disease, then I do not want that employee to come in and 'tough it out'- because that individual is liable to spread the illness throughout the workplace, infecting many others which will cause a far greater loss of productivity than having a single employee staying out for a few days. If you come to work ill, I am sending you home. Period.

Last Fall we had to shut an entire building down for a substantial period of time because an employee contracted Scabies, continued to come to work, and ultimately spread it to a full two thirds of the staff in that building. We have five buildings in the area, it was announced that any employee showing symptoms would be sent home immediately and not permitted to return without an 'all clear' from a doctor. Fortunately, only the one building was affected but it was still a substantial loss of productivity.

I am not going to put the health of many other people at risk because one person wants to play 'hero' and come to work sick. No. Get out. Go home.

In my opinion, anyone coming in to work (or even associating with any other people) while knowing they have an infectious/contagious disease is committing premeditated assault.
Yes, businesses are not charities. I get all of that. I never said they were.

In the meantime, because God the "infallible Creator" created me to have all these health problems, I get His children quoting Bible verses against me frequently because I have no job and am on food stamps and other forms of government assistance. I get told all the time how there is "no excuse" not to have a job and that I would have a job "if you wanted one bad enough." And that is just to start with how people have treated me my entire adulthood because of what God did. They lie about me to my face saying I'd have a job if I tried hard enough, thus saying I didn't even try. Some of them years ago lied to me saying if I prayed in Jesus name that God would heal me and give me a job. I prayed in Jesus name for years for both and never got either. I get condemnation from people every day of my life because I am unemployed. I am tired of being condemned for something that is not my fault. How is it my fault that I was created to have incurable diseases? That is God's fault, not mine.

My biggest issue is with being condemned for not being employed because of things that are beyond my control while at the same time being condemned for supposedly expecting businesses to be charities. Maybe businesses should tell all these people that expect those with severe health problems to "get a job" that they are not charities and that they don't want these people employed with them so that those condemned to a life of severe ailments are not bothered as much by those condemning them for not working? A little compassion without having to give jobs to people who can't work them?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,366,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
about 12 years ago my peers and I had a meeting with h.r. she looked around the table - 12 of us and said … in the past 2 years ..only 2 days of sick days have been used.from all 12 of us ..we were all supervisors so we didn't get the sick hours paid to us if not used..)
she said how is this possible..

I said our plates are full and to take any time off.... pushes the projects forward into others.....and we are from the old-school..very dedicated for the TEAM if one of us calls in sick...it can be hell for the others.

our attitudes were if we NEEDED time for a sick spouse/kid or us..we should be able to take it with no questions asked...

one dynamic ive seen in the workplace....is sickdays are contagious..
I am trying to imagine a situation where HR would have a meeting with a group of supervisors to ask a question like that. In reality, supervisors can easily take off and say they are "going to a meeting" when they are going to the dentist, or "working from home" when they are sick and not actually report it as a sick day. I believe this is a fantasy or something you saw on an old TV show where they are trying to make a point of how hard working and dedicated a team is. Sorry, but this whole story strikes me as self-serving. Kind of like an episode of MASH where they send someone from HQ to find out why this MASH unit is working so well. HR couldn't care less how many sick days you do or don't take, it doesn't matter to them one bit. No one there is tracking which group has the least amount of sick days because it is meaningless.

If someone is sick, they should not go to work. Period. All this chest beating about not taking sick days is really misguided. It doesn't mean anything.

I'm a project manager, and if you can't take time off for being sick in a project, that's nothing to be proud of, it is a very poorly planned project. Enough said.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,378,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if a person is rewarded...they keep doing it..

I haven't had a sick day in 8 yrs.... I wouldn't tolerate anyone always calling in sick..

we are a nation of wussies...….. the younger generations.... will try to call in for an "emotional" day …. if she had a fight with her boyfriend...
I don't think it is just the younger generation. I think it was how one was raised most of the time.

I have a co worker that just hit 50 years old--yes, she has FMLA for her anxiety. She has called out for an emotional day because she had a huge arguement with her husband.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:06 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,762,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think it is just the younger generation. I think it was how one was raised most of the time.

I have a co worker that just hit 50 years old--yes, she has FMLA for her anxiety. She has called out for an emotional day because she had a huge arguement with her husband.
... Wat.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:21 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,658,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I have been such an employee at every place I've worked at in this state. No matter how hard I've tried I have never been able to be healthy. I was sometimes sick more in a month than I wasn't. I've been fired from every place and now am unemployable. There are people like me who were never blessed with good health. Even when I was at work and working I was usually sick in some way.
And? The job wasn't being done. You're paid for useful output, not because you "need" money. I might feel bad, but I'd still fire you because the work simply isn't getting done.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 AM

23,852 posts, read 33,506,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I have one employee who has been here about 6 months. When she's here, she does a great job.

However, she misses a ton of work. Over that last 6 months, she's already missed over 40 days. Some of it was illness related (nothing major, just lots of colds/sinus infection stuff), some of it is her child being sick, some of it is miscellaneous stuff like her car not starting. She's not faking illness, she has doctor's notes for every absence.

I don't want to fire her, but I'm thinking of reducing her status to part time, maybe 15 hours a week, and hiring someone else to make up the lost hours. That way when she inevitably calls in sick, it's not such a hit to our company.

Anybody else been in this situation?
You posted 3 days ago. Did you make a decision?

I scanned most of the replies, seems like everyone would let her go. I say that since you like her and she's a great worker can you have a serious discussion with her about her being out? Be honest, tell her that her position is on the line and you're going to have to let her go. If she realizes that she will lose her job then maybe she'll decide that having that sinus infection isn't that bad and she can work like that. I can't believe someone would take off that amount of time for a sinus infection but up until now, you've pretty much let her get away with it. Had you had this discussion with her when it 1st started I bet she would either be gone or she wouldn't have missed so many days. I think that since you've contributed to her being out that you should at least have the talk with her to give her one last chance before you do fire her.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 PM

35,045 posts, read 31,233,730 times
At some point, you need a worker there who can be there enough to actually perform the job.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:24 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
True. I have not missed a single day of work in over 30 years and have not taken a vacation since 2005.
That's horrible.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:25 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,335,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's horrible.
Completely agree. What a depressing way to go through life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment