Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

So how do I explain the job change, then? Something cliche like "my current job ain't a good fit"? Or is there a better way?
It is a job interview, not a confessional. So you don't need to talk about any problems you are currently having.

You talk about what the prospective job offers that you like such as:
  • Chance to learn new cutting edge things such as technology.
  • Chance of training in new areas.

You talk about their company what you like such as:
  • Growing organization
  • Market leader
  • Many opportunities

They don't have to know how you feel about your current job and its management, and frankly they don't care so don't talk about it. Go to Glassdoor and Indeed and see how the company is reviewed. Make a list of things you like about the company that differs from your current situation.

Simple as pie. You are having trouble thinking about this because you are so unhappy of your current situation, but they don't need to know that. Many people work at a job for a while and it doesn't experience the growth they were promised or expected, so they leave for a bigger and better place.

My list is just to get you started, but after you do your research on the companies you want to work at, you will come up with more directed reasons. Right? Get started!

Last edited by rummage; 02-27-2019 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 PM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
It is a job interview, not a confessional. So you don't need to talk about any problems you are currently having.

You talk about what the prospective job offers that you like such as:
  • Chance to learn new cutting edge things such as technology.
  • Chance of training in new areas.

You talk about their company what you like such as:
  • Growing organization
  • Market leader
  • Many opportunities

They don't have to know how you feel about your current job and its management, and frankly they don't care so don't talk about it. Go to Glassdoor and Indeed and see how the company is reviewed. Make a list of things you like about the company that differs from your current situation.

Simple as pie. You are having trouble thinking about this because you are so unhappy of your current situation, but they don't need to know that. Many people work at a job for a while and it doesn't experience the growth they were promised or expected, so they leave for a bigger and better place.

My list is just to get you started, but after you do your research on the companies you want to work at, you will come up with more directed reasons. Right? Get started!
Excellent advice.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
You lie. Make it about the opportunity to learn and grow, etc.
Exactly. Never let them see you sweat. Make up whatever is an acceptable excuse. Spin yourself in a positive light.

Often it is helpful to look up the company online and research their mission statement, check out as much as you can their atmosphere etc. Use some of that info to make a positive statement when asked why you want to work at their company.

"I strongly believe in working to better our community....and I see that is important to your company too." Bla, bla.

Good luck. You are very smart to stick it out and look rather than bail and look with no job at all.

Keep practicing self care. You can get through this and be a better person for the experience and knowledge of job politics and how to maneuver through them.

Self care links to help. There are a ton of insightful websites please research more self care. I wish you the best.

https://tinybuddha.com/blog/45-simpl...body-and-soul/

https://www.verywellmind.com/self-ca...uction-3144729

Old 02-28-2019, 07:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
I was in this boat a couple of years ago, and the best advice is to focus on the positives of the role for which you're interviewing (as some have already mentioned). DO NOT tell them the negatives about your current job - especially related to work load. The prospective employer may assume the worst, thinking you're just looking for a cakewalk job or you're flat-out lazy. Make your response specific to the company; what about the job posting is new and exciting to you, compared to what you're currently doing?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:51 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
One tip I'd give is to look for larger organizations, especially in IT. When I've worked at small companies, you're often wearing so many hats that there is always something going on after hours. It's much easier to be a cog in a large organization where you have more defined duties and things outside those defined duties are handled by someone else.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
I've been working at my current job for a little under a year, doing IT work. Benefits aren't a factor, since I buy my own insurance. Right at New Year, there was change in management. The new IT manager turned the job from tolerably stressful into an utter pressure cooker. I put up with it for two months by now, but my patience is wearing thin. Because it's only a matter of time until it starts affecting my physical health. So I'm doing what any reasonable man would do, especially when the economy is good: tough it out the best I can while looking for a new job. I do what I can to stay sane and healthy: eat right, work out, get sleep, relax on weekends, yada yada yada. But this new manager isn't going anywhere, and won't change anytime soon, either. Which means I'm going.

But here's the problem: Employers will ask why I'm looking to change jobs, especially considering that my current job pays pretty well. And of course I'm not going to tell them the truth! It's a fast track to being turned down and making a fool of myself, if not outright getting blacklisted among all employers. Hey, you never know.

So how do I explain the job change, then? Something cliche like "my current job ain't a good fit"? Or is there a better way?

"I want to optimize my experience, which I'm not able to do in my current employment."

It ain't a lie.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:07 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
But here's the problem: Employers will ask why I'm looking to change jobs, especially considering that my current job pays pretty well. And of course I'm not going to tell them the truth! It's a fast track to being turned down and making a fool of myself, if not outright getting blacklisted among all employers. Hey, you never know.
You always have to answer questions like that like a politician ..... find a way to turn a negative into a positive

I would say that I enjoy the job but the level of stress is too high, to the point that is affecting your life at home.
You are enjoying the pay, but you don't think is worthy and want to find a job where you have a good work-life balance.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:58 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would say that I enjoy the job but the level of stress is too high, to the point that is affecting your life at home.
You are enjoying the pay, but you don't think is worthy and want to find a job where you have a good work-life balance.
Wouldn't saying I'm quitting because of stress be an automatic disqualification? Or worse, it could get me blacklisted.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
You've gotten all kinds of suggestions on what to say -- INSTEAD of saying anything about stress. Why are you going back to that, when the consensus is don't say that as the reason.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:19 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You've gotten all kinds of suggestions on what to say -- INSTEAD of saying anything about stress. Why are you going back to that, when the consensus is don't say that as the reason.
I'm well aware of that. I was responding to Dopo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment