Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:35 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
I work from home 100% of the time but would probably work in the office if it was closer since I like the social aspect and just being around people
But you're stuck with the same people and forced to interact with them everyday.

At least if I work at home, I have the freedom to choose who I want to interact with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I would take an office over wfh. I’m not a robot, I do more than just processing assigned tasks all day. Most of the value I create comes from being in meetings or impromptu chats and brainstorming ideas, most of which happens with a whiteboard or across a table.

I’m always behind on my inbox and I’m hard to reach via chat, but anyone can walk into my office at any time of the day and as long as I’m not on a call (which isn’t too often), my entire attention is theirs. And if I need something, I walk down the hall and ask for it in person. It’s one of the reasons behind my success in my career.

Work from home occasionally? Sure. But frequently- not in my field, at least if you ever want to get promoted or to be successful.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Offices are anachronistic and pointless for most "knowledge workers", thanks to technology.

They are also thus wasteful, demoralizing, and generally unnecessary. Ask yourself this question "What are people doing here that they cannot do from a remote or home office?"

If you can't think of something that requires physical presence or proximity then you've made a perfect case against offices.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:30 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
I do prefer the office environment because I'm more focused and it's easier to get to the files I need fast. However, I like when a company is flexible for the rare occasion I need to wfh.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
ppl that work from home are not working 8hrs a day so...........

Old 03-23-2019, 08:22 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
ppl that work from home are not working 8hrs a day so...........
LOL. And you believe that people who work in an office work 8 hrs non-stop...

Old 03-23-2019, 09:37 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
But you're stuck with the same people and forced to interact with them everyday.
At least if I work at home, I have the freedom to choose who I want to interact with.
Most people aren't misanthropes or agoraphobes... why act like one?

One of the best ways to get a good job is to noticed by someone who makes the decisions.
If you aren't out in the world they'll never see you.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:47 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Most people aren't misanthropes or agoraphobes... why act like one?

One of the best ways to get a good job is to noticed by someone who makes the decisions.
If you aren't out in the world they'll never see you.
It also matters less whether the at-home worker is in Minnesota or Mumbai...whichever is cheaper.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM

41 posts, read 24,120 times
Coworkers are people who can potentially try to get me fired. Much of my day is spent smiling and trying to maintain cordial relations with the people I work with solely to minimize the chances of getting fired. With a job, at the end of the day, all I'm concerned with is staying employed.

When you work from home, what matters is the work product. The only thing you have to worry about is getting the job done right and efficiently, not whether the guy sitting next to you will take a disliking to you and try to get you fired.

As far as the social aspect of working in an office goes, I enjoy socializing with people who I genuinely care about and enjoy being around and who feel the same way about me (family members and friends), not making awkward, forced small talk with people I barely know who wear a fake smile (coworkers). The pressure to schmooze with people at work is distracting and takes away from focus on the job itself.

I figure that as more baby boomer executives retire and are replaced by people who have grown up with the Internet, working from home will become much more popular. Think of all of the money companies could save on rent, utilities, maintenance, etc. by having their workers 100% remote.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:49 PM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
I've worked in typical on site workplaces from retail to standard office type locations. By far the only time I ever enjoyed going into work was in retail. And that was probably because the majority of my interactions were with customers and I got to stay on my feet (I have ADHD so I do much better with combining my mental/physical activities together vs trying to dedicate attention to one over the other).

I work at home now and probably won't ever go back. I get to interact enough with people through my work communications and I work with my husband at home so it makes it easier to feel the social aspect most people desire from work. But besides that, you couldn't pay me to commute every day no matter how short the commute. Plus it's saving us (our clients and us) money in the long run as we can live in more affordable areas, don't have to have to spend money on commutes, and we don't have to pay for child care once we have our children. Plus the reduced stress from constantly having to worry about appearances, keeping up with office politics, and just dealing with office drama is nice since we can concentrate on our work and just keep it at that. No waste on office parties and pointless social events to "keep morale" or fights on why allowing office pets is dangerous for the employees severely allergic to pet dandruff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment