Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 PM

203 posts, read 108,452 times

Advertisements

I received a response to a job i responded to today and was told they want to learn more about me and have me do a video interview. I am led to a link where i find these instructions:

Thank you very much for your interest in our company. To boost your application and to give you the chance to show us who you really are, we trust in Talentcube! Using the Talentcube app, you can quickly and easily apply via video directly from your smartphone!

We are looking forward to your application!

What ever happened to just a straight up phone call? I also am finding other requests for video calls for phone screens which honestly are awkward. I would prefer to just do a phone call. if you want to see me/meet me have me come in the office. Why make a phone screen more personal?

I have video calls with co workers frequently or even client calls where you're trying to solve a problem but it is SO weird having one with someone you've never met and are interviewing for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
That's your first glimpse at their culture. If you don't like it, don't apply.

That's not saying anything bad about you or that company if you don't like their process, only that you might not be a good fit for them.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 PM

741 posts, read 590,394 times
If you’re finding these more common, then it seems logical to treat them the same way as you would an in-person interview. I would consider this very fortunate. You have an opportunity to research other video interviews, find the best techniques, and work out the best talking points. You can rehearse a set of bullet points that present you in the best possible light. Have a friend do multiple videos so you can get comfortable with the format, see how you look on camera, work out all the kinks, modulate your voice, school any weird facial expressions (we all have them), and present a strong, well rehearsed video. Yes, it takes more effort that an in-person interview, but you have a better chance to make a strong impression than you would in a simple phone screen. Make sure to dress up the same way you would for an in-person interview. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Recorded video interviews are often the first step nowadays to screening applicants. I've done a few of them and don't mind them one bit. They scare some people away so it shrinks the competition pool.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:08 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
That sounds like the old fashioned video dating services from the 1980s.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:40 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
It's either a lazy circumvent of the one-on-one, in person interview, or a veiled attempt to screen people based on appearance and age. Ridiculous either way.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:53 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
It's a cheap way to screen the field without actually bringing anyone in to interview.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:27 PM

^ So that's the excuse now, to avoid the basics of human communication? Filter everything online and electronically, and avoid human contact and 3D reality? That's how pathetic and ridiculous it's become.

Cheap is right. Cheap ways for cheap 'humans' and shallow business practices.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's either a lazy circumvent of the one-on-one, in person interview, or a veiled attempt to screen people based on appearance and age. Ridiculous either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's a cheap way to screen the field without actually bringing anyone in to interview.

Some of us make the assumption that all people are 'normal' and it is just a matter of finding that person whose skill set, experience and personality fit the bill.

The reality is that a lot of people are off the wall, lie about their experience and would do or say anything to get hired in a job where they have no business applying.

Businesses use all sorts of methods to screen out the whack jobs. It is painful to the rest of us, but that's the way it is. I personally hate it, but having interviewed hundreds of professionals and some administrative people as well I can tell you that you talk with a LOT of people who aren't even qualified to ask "would you like fries with that?" Any method to help weed them out is a saving of the interviewer's time.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:36 PM

^ If someone lies about their experience, how will an interview - electronic or otherwise - expose it? The only sure-fire proof of skill comes on the job.

Some interviewers have illusions about their "skills" at investigative ways. They get it wrong many times, over-assuming positively or negatively. Instead of the usual "this is business as usual" excuses, we need to be more real and honest with ourselves about what's going on.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-01-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment