Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,601,098 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of this before, but yesterday I learned that my salary had been "red-circled," meaning I was not eligible for the annual 3% merit raise, because my salary was way outside the "market range" benchmarks they use.

Thing is, this is my 3rd year here, and I received merit raises the previous 2 years. It looks like my starting salary was about 15k above the top of the range, but it wasn't a problem before.

My supervisor is appealing to HR, but if they stick to this, I am not sure why I would want to stay, and I don't want to move into a different position. I am highly specialized, the only one in my org who does what I do, and very experienced (why my offer package was so high)

What arguments can I present for them to make an exception or release me from this "market range" metric?

Oh yes, you may have guessed we are under new management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 01:50 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,110,538 times
It sounds lime your new boss thinks your salary exceeds your value. I imagine everyone who is getting paid above their pay band has been "red circled" and is not getting a merit raise. I doubt if there is anything you can do to change their mind. Are you getting a CoL raise, or is your pay being frozen?

Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,386,876 times
Do you know what job title they're using to determine the metrics? Does it really cover what you do? You may need a new job title, not necessarily a different position.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:55 PM

4,547 posts, read 4,794,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It sounds lime your new boss thinks your salary exceeds your value. I imagine everyone who is getting paid above their pay band has been "red circled" and is not getting a merit raise. I doubt if there is anything you can do to change their mind. Are you getting a CoL raise, or is your pay being frozen?
Sounds like the other way around. Their HR thinks their salary exceeds their value, while their boss is happy with it.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,636,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have never heard of this before, but yesterday I learned that my salary had been "red-circled," meaning I was not eligible for the annual 3% merit raise, because my salary was way outside the "market range" benchmarks they use.
If you aren't getting a 3% raise per year, you're taking a pay cut.

I would be asking my manager, "How do we fix this, and get me back to receiving regular raises? How long would you stay here if you were told you weren't going to see any more adjustments?" Anything other than a "Hold on, we're going to fix this" means it's time to move on.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,601,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Sounds like the other way around. Their HR thinks their salary exceeds their value, while their boss is happy with it.
It's definitely HR. The CHRO and most of the HR staff are all new to the org too. No one who was involved in putting together my comp package is still with the company.

Yes, salary is completely frozen, no COL.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 PM

12,612 posts, read 8,835,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It's definitely HR. The CHRO and most of the HR staff are all new to the org too. No one who was involved in putting together my comp package is still with the company.

Yes, salary is completely frozen, no COL.
Sounds mostly like HR really doesn't know or care about value, just about being spot on perfect with their market statistics. Typical CHRO move, driven solely by the metrics they measure and not the value of the result. CHRO showing his value by saving money without regard to the impact of his decisions because the impact falls elsewhere.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:23 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,186,384 times
Sounds like they don't value you as an employee. Don't bother appealing, even if you get the $$$ you're not valued.

Time to do a stealth job search. This means don't tell anyone you're looking, and tell recruiters not to contact your current employer.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 PM

607 posts, read 971,766 times
Sounds like you are maxed out for income growth at that company. You will probably have to move to a new company and negotiate a higher salary to increase income.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,786,898 times
I remember back to the early 00s when the economy was down and my company didn't give anyone an increase or bonus for about 5 years....except for the CEO who of course got his
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment