Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times

Advertisements

I've seen instances where someone accepted a job offer at my employer and during the time between when they were supposed to be working out their notice at their current employer, they accepted another job offer. In the two most recent examples I recall, the hired employees didn't inform the hiring manager of their non-start until their start date. Don't think that once you accept, that the window of opportunity has closed to accept another offer!

Of course, if you do this, know that you will probably burn the bridge with the hiring manager at the employer whose job you didn't take once accepted. It probably won't rule you out to work for other managers at that employer, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Update:

Company A recruiter called me to reiterate their verbal offer and ask for acceptance. They said they will try to beat Company B's offer by $1k.

Company B will try to increase their offer.

In both cases, I mentioned how much I loved their company and that we were a great fit. I repeated that we were really close on the numbers. I never outright rejected the offer. I just ask them to come closer to my numbers. They will get back to me early next week.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 PM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Update:

Company A recruiter called me to reiterate their verbal offer and ask for acceptance. They said they will try to beat Company B's offer by $1k.

Company B will try to increase their offer.

In both cases, I mentioned how much I loved their company and that we were a great fit. I repeated that we were really close on the numbers. I never outright rejected the offer. I just ask them to come closer to my numbers. They will get back to me early next week.
Don't be shocked if one falls through or even both. It's unlikely to happen though. Take the one with more upside or better product/service.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
accept

if second offer better bounce ship

it happens more than you think HR wont care, manager will treat it like another day at the office, coworkers wont remember you

Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Thanks for the advice all.

I heard back from a 3rd company, after this post. The hiring manager wants to extend an offer, but their boss is on vacation for this week and next week. They didn't want to leave me in limbo for the next 2 weeks. I found this refreshing. They get points for being professional and polite. I like all three of them.

The 2nd and 3rd companies gave me a range that's $10-15k higher than the 1st.

Has anybody gone back and countered their 1st offer with offers from other companies?
No, and the reason I never did that was because the two situations weren't really ever identical. One company had many more interesting opportunities than the other, and in the long-term for my career that was the better move. Which it turned out to be.

While $10-$15K might seem important, you have to look at the path for your career too. Rarely do both companies have all the pluses except just on starting base salary.

The other thing to remember, is that an employer might offer you more, but then not give you raises at the rate of others so what seems like a higher offer will "correct" itself in a year or two.

I'm a hiring manager, and once an offer is made if someone wants us to counter with another offer, I don't do that. Because I have no real way of knowing if the other offer is something fictional and they are merely saying there is one to use ias a gambit to get a higher starting compensation. My feeling is, if after we have made an offer the candidate comes back asking for a better package, and is able to justify it, that gets strongly considered. For salaries over $100K, another $10-$15K a year after taxes isn't a huge difference. I'm not going to stroke anyone's ego by saying there are some truly exceptional people the company can't do without. Truly exceptional people aren't leaving their company because they are likely one of the founders.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Overall, I agree, there are other many other factors to consider, but 10-15k year is nothing to sneeze at. That's a nice car payment or a almost fully funding a 401k.

Is a competing offer not part of justifying a better package? It's basically saying your competitors are paying more. Usually companies have some clue where their wages stack up against their competition, but it depends on the industry.

I don't follow the logic at all that only company founders are truly exceptional employees??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I'm a hiring manager, and once an offer is made if someone wants us to counter with another offer, I don't do that. Because I have no real way of knowing if the other offer is something fictional and they are merely saying there is one to use ias a gambit to get a higher starting compensation. My feeling is, if after we have made an offer the candidate comes back asking for a better package, and is able to justify it, that gets strongly considered. For salaries over $100K, another $10-$15K a year after taxes isn't a huge difference. I'm not going to stroke anyone's ego by saying there are some truly exceptional people the company can't do without. Truly exceptional people aren't leaving their company because they are likely one of the founders.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:49 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
accept

if second offer better bounce ship

it happens more than you think HR wont care, manager will treat it like another day at the office,
Yep. As evidenced by Rummage's post #25. It says s/he doesn't believe people when they say they have another offer. S/he's willing to let the candidate go, and take that other offer...because s/he thinks s/he's being bluffed.

HR/hiring managers don't care about you.
So if you have to work just one week (or one day), and then say you're leaving for the second or third offer......just do it.

Apparently, it's not that much work for hiring managers to move on to the number two person on their list. I'd imagine it's a little bit more work after the first choice has been hired, filled out paperwork, and tax info and other documents have been entered and filed. But, they don't care about you. So you shouldn't care about them having to do the onboarding process all over again for someone else. It's routine, run-of-the-mill every day for them. It's their job.

Op, just keep us posted about the offers you get. (It could encourage us all!)

Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Don't try to play them against each other too hard or you could lose both offers.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I'm hearing "verbal offer". If it was me I'd like to see it in writing.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Update:

I was so nervous. The advice in this thread was great for negotiation.

My negotiation boiled down to:
1) I asked about a deadline to accept the offer. They said I could take 2-3 days.
2) When I got an offer, I pointed out the competing offer.
3) I had no fear of losing both offers. I had a 3rd offer being worked on by another competitor. This offer would have paid more, as it was for a more senior role.

I did not promise to accept any initial offer. I made it clear that I received higher offers last year, when I called off my prior job search.

My preferred company, Company A, came up $5k. higher base. Company B raised their initial offer by $4k.

Final numbers make Company A's base salary $3k less than Company B, but they are known to pay about $2-4k more in bonus. Benefits are pretty much the same. It's essentially a tie.

I was still short $10k of my preferred salary, but I am happy. I accepted Company A's offer. I didn't want to hold out for the 3rd company, even though they were working on the offer. A more senior role would have been nice, but the first company was offering me a chance to learn more about another side of the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment