Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 06:39 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,220,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I just don't see why the employer is being bashed for OP's situation.
Because you believe in employer infallibility, which does not reflect the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 AM

35,043 posts, read 31,233,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I have been in client meetings where they wanted to add IT people of their own, and they came up with these nonsense requirements and wanted to pay almost nothing for those people. I talked them out of it, because it was another plan for failure, just like the OP experienced.
Part of what makes IT/development so crazy is that customers want endless features and support, but most want to nickel and dime.

I'm the application owner of a COTS financial program that should work seamlessly. It's not a sophisticated program at all. Around the first of the year, something dragged its performance to a crawl. I'm pretty certain it's AV/security related, but I've been on a carousel with multiple other teams and the vendor, all of whom agree the problem is environmental/not application related, but we've never pinpointed the cause. The correct way to troubleshoot this would be to take a PC with nothing but a base Windows image, and gradually introduce components of our environment until we find the culprit. That's not going to be possible due to infosec concerns, so my hands really are tied.

The users are having to work overtime because of the poor performance. I've spent several dozen labor hours researching and troubleshooting. I've involved other teams and their labor hours have been spent. The department director is balking on $3k-$4k in funding to put this software in the cloud and call it a day.

We've easily spent the $4k in just IT support hours alone. That's not counting the dozens of hours the users have had wasted while the program goes to not responding. They say they're "too busy" to test a trial of the cloud software, but someone could use it for an hour and it either works better or doesn't - it's not going to take long to reach a verdict.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,335,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Lying won't hurt the company but it can hurt the candidate/employee. Lying is not "sticking it to the man."
How so? You either get the job or you don't. Your name isn't put on some master database list of "CONVICTED LIARS" for future employers to see.

Stretching the truth is extremely common:

"According to HireRight's 2017 employment screening benchmark report, 85 percent of employers caught applicants fibbing on their résumés or applications, up from just 66 percent five years ago."

Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 AM

35,043 posts, read 31,233,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
How so? You either get the job or you don't. Your name isn't put on some master database list of "CONVICTED LIARS" for future employers to see.

"According to HireRight's 2017 employment screening benchmark report, 85 percent of employers caught applicants fibbing on their résumés or applications, up from just 66 percent five years ago."
And a lot of this fibbing comes from the fact that employers want unicorns. It's very rare for many postings that anyone who hasn't actually done that specific job would have the required expertise. People stretch to have a chance at all.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,491,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

Certain lies will get caught. The employee will get terminated.

In this scenario, who is suffering?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:46 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,952,281 times
I have to wonder how much effort the OP put into getting up to speed. When I got my first opportunity to work with computers an experienced friend told me I'd have to totally immerse myself in the work 24x7. I had to soak up knowledge like a sponge. And I did. Brought stuff home to work out on my own time at night, thought about it all the time. Couldn't get enough of it. Called people to help me figure stuff out when I got stuck. Sought out and attended classes to boost my skills.

Decades later on my next to last assignment as a contractor I was the same way. Got in 20 minutes early and stayed 20 minutes late. No lunch or coffee breaks, other than going to the bathroom and coffee machine and eating or drinking coffee at my desk while working. Several new hires were brought on and let go within 6 weeks. They were waiting to be trained and viewed it as a normal job. It wasn't. It was a fast paced rocket ship ride every day. The department was outsourced to India by the end of my 6 month contract and I helped the Indians get up to speed during the last 6 weeks as they ran a parallel training system, in addition to doing my own work.

My next and last contract was 18 months working from home. 9 hours a day, working straight through, 5 days a week. That ended when I turned 62 and I've been retired ever since. Made good money and loved the work. But I loved being retired more.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,491,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I have to wonder how much effort the OP put into getting up to speed. When I got my first opportunity to work with computers an experienced friend told me I'd have to totally immerse myself in the work 24x7. I had to soak up knowledge like a sponge. And I did. Brought stuff home to work out on my own time at night, thought about it all the time. Couldn't get enough of it. Called people to help me figure stuff out when I got stuck. Sought out and attended classes to boost my skills.
Yep, that's what you do when you're a novice and someone gives you a shot at a new career.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,538,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I like this spinning. Yes it is lying but the OP was set up for failure. They should have never hired him.
A lot of tech startups have no idea what they're actually doing.

By all means, yeah, call it a contract that expired, and after you get established in the field you can pretend the whole thing never happened.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,351,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
No, just no. Please, the NDA doesn't prevent you from saying why you left a company. The OP isn't James Bond working on a top secret project. Come on, people know the industry too, and no one is going to use an NDA as an excuse of why they can't explain why they aren't working there any longer. When they do a background check and use the third-party for employment verification, they are still going to reveal along with employment dates the reason for separation was "involuntary" which means either fired or part of a layoff.

Several of mine could consider it inside corporate information-one even illegally stated that I could not discuss salary with anyone, including fellow employees. I have one (out of maybe 12?) that specifically called it out-so its not that unusual that its some james bond thing. NDAs are often poorly written garbage that is confusing and unfair. Having someone who said they couldn't discuss the exact details of what occurred is possible, and wouldn't even phase me.

I admit that many of the things I work on are far more sensitive then the average developer, but even so-I worked at tiny little firms with basic projects who still treated everything like it was some top secret black fund project with NDA's that were just nuts.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:31 PM

801 posts, read 546,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Same here with my first serious accounting job. Some months after starting, the other two accountants I was working with quit and the CEO didn't want to hire new people (budget). I was able to take on their responsibilities using technical skills no one expected me to learn. Later on, I was able to renegotiate my salary.

Some people see those type of hurdles as a golden opportunity while others don't. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 03-08-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment