Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Start looking.

It's never a good sign when your higher ups tell you that you need to stay longer because the perception is that you aren't working hard enough.

People here seem to be missing that point. It's not mainly about this company suddenly giving you the bait and switch about your job responsibilities and roles. It's about them pointing out that they think you aren't working hard enough, THEN putting more work on your plate. True or not, it's already out there, so you need to be true to yourself as to how this happened at only five months into your job.

Confused by my boss? What to tell boss when quitting? [MERGED]

Old 03-08-2019, 07:40 AM

293 posts, read 190,738 times
I forgot to mention, I've also been tasked to start doing the social media for my company. I was also asked by my supervisor that, if I have 30 mins to 1 hour of downtime in a day, ask the guy who 'ratted' me out if there is any 'research' that I could do for him (mind you, I am literally a recruiter and this guy helps get my company more contracts, so we literally do nothing similar).
I was also told that I'll need to get some type of clearance to make my job 'easier' (usually when you get a clearance, you get a raise)

So I asked my boss yesterday, with my new responsibilities, hours, and potential clearance I would like a raise. He said, "I wish it worked like that. I didn't get a raise when I was promoted to director even though I had no responsibilities'... So it looks like I'll never get a raise and they'll just continue to give me responsibilities.

I checked out my job description (what it said when I applied to my position now) and what was told I'd be doing is, maybe, only 1/4 of what I actually do

Old 03-08-2019, 07:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I have always accepted more responsibility without question. Never in my life have I ever asked for more money.

I've been in professional, salaried roles for 20 years. In that time I have been promoted 6 times ( with two companies) and my current salary and bonus is almost ten times what it was 20 years ago.

Advancement (and more money) usually comes after you can prove you can handle more responsibility. Complaining and demanding more now only ensures a static career path.
That's basically correct.

You are only 25. If you take on more work and stay longer, you will be able to point to increased reponsibility and increased output, which is how you get raises and promotions.

Rarely is someone promoted to increased responsibility unless they are already doing a significant portion of the work.

As far as upper management perception, welcome to the real world.

Anyway, I don't know what you're complaining about if you are working an 8 hour day. Most early career 25 year olds are putting in way more than that. Go talk to some junior associates at a law firm, or computer programmers.

My advice would be to stay longer, without any complaint. Then when you find that you don't have enough to fill your time, ask for more responsibility. If you continue to add responsibility and output without the company recognizing this with pay or title, then you can choose to discuss this with your boss and how he responds may (giving it sufficient time) inform your future job hunting decisions (in other words, if you go on adding responsibility and increasing output for a couple years and it's getting you nowhere, THEN is the time to think about looking up a new job). But to reflexively resist at this stage of your career and tenure with this employer strikes me as a really bad decision.

Keep in mind, too, that you are probably one of the last hired. There will be another recession, no one knows when, but it will happen. Last hired, first fired, is one of the oldest things in the book. If you want to avoid just being automatically put on the layoff list due to low seniority, being a top performer for your pay grade is your best chance for this. It's certainly not a guarantee, but wouldn't you rather do what you can to avoid being thrown to the curb, rather than being let go in a year or two or three when the economy turns down, while knowing that you could have at least tried to avoid it?

Old 03-08-2019, 07:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
OP, are you so young and inexperienced to understand that every employee in most companies will be asked to do job duties not specifically written in their job description.

Do you get that? You need to learn this now or you will be angry your entire career.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, are you so young and inexperienced to understand that every employee in most companies will be asked to do job duties not specifically written in their job description.

Do you get that? You need to learn this now or you will be angry your entire career.
I am an old fart. I have never seen a job description in my life that didn't have some language like "and other duties as may be assigned my management..."

Frankly, I don't care if you ask me to swab the toilets, if I'm getting paid. It will be a waste of your money, that's all. As long as you're not giving me assignments that I am guaranteed to fail at as a way of getting rid of me, I don't care.

OP has come of age during one of the longest business expansions in recent history. A few years of economic times like the mid 70s through early 80s, like when I came of age, will reorient his way of thinking.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I am an old fart. I have never seen a job description in my life that didn't have some language like "and other duties as may be assigned my management..."

Frankly, I don't care if you ask me to swab the toilets, if I'm getting paid. It will be a waste of your money, that's all. As long as you're not giving me assignments that I am guaranteed to fail at as a way of getting rid of me, I don't care.

OP has come of age during one of the longest business expansions in recent history. A few years of economic times like the mid 70s through early 80s, like when I came of age, will reorient his way of thinking.
I'm the same way. As I see it, they are paying me for the workday. What they ask me to do is somewhat irrelevant as long as I get paid and I can get what I need to build my resume.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

I think it's more the fact that I am being compared to a (new) coworker.
She starts at 8:30 and will usually leave either at 5 or right after me (at 4:30). I am being told that she stays "so long" every day and when there needs to be worked done.
I asked her today how many hours she usually works in a day and she said 8.

This also just happened to come about a couple of weeks after I had filled a complaint to HR about some sexual/inappropriate comments my boss had made towards me. No evidence, but it just seems like weird timing

Old 03-08-2019, 08:46 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
I think it's more the fact that I am being compared to a (new) coworker.
She starts at 8:30 and will usually leave either at 5 or right after me (at 4:30). I am being told that she stays "so long" every day and when there needs to be worked done.
I asked her today how many hours she usually works in a day and she said 8.

This also just happened to come about a couple of weeks after I had filled a complaint to HR about some sexual/inappropriate comments my boss had made towards me. No evidence, but it just seems like weird timing
I don't staying until 5 is unreasonable for a salaried, corporate position. With that said, another couple hours of day just for the sake of "perception" is stupid.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:48 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times
Can you start coming into work at 9am then?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't staying until 5 is unreasonable for a salaried, corporate position. With that said, another couple hours of day just for the sake of "perception" is stupid.
It's not only that. They want me to stay until 5 (earliest), but then continue working from home after that for another hour or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment