Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
If only her resume were in the hands of all the contingency recruiters, perhaps she'd get hired away to another company.
This.

Was once common practice in the local TV news industry to shop air checks of troubling on-air co-workers (or the another station's 6 and 10 anchor whose ratings are killing your 6 and 10 newscasts) to bigger markets. Much easier in local TV, though ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 08:09 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
Yay for witch hunts!!!!
OK, choose to defend the toxic, rude, and underperforming person over 90% of the department. Lol. The OP seems honest, concerned and straightforward to me. If the OP initiates no action as a result of this thread, then my sympathy diminishes a little.

OP, please let us know what action you and others at your workplace decide to take regarding this matter in the next week or so. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-10-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 08:30 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
The part that scares me is what is improvement?

For example, she burped upwards of 15 times per day. She does it less now. She says excuse me. Is this improvement? Sure. But when you’re coming from rock bottom....

She hasn’t stormed in cussing lately...so that’s good. I guess...

She did make an utterly absurd sexual comment just days after getting the pip. But the thing is...she didn’t do it in front of management. She did it in front of me.

She’s not dumb. She’s incredibly manipulative. For example..,she brought candy in for people now. And tried to buy my boss a cookie...she had her kids birth certificate at work and was talking about her baby being born to get sympathy.

She has gone (Mostly) silent and only talks with the most professional voice you could imagine.

I just hope it’s been enough. I hope that this is all a legal formality. I hope people aren’t going to pretend that just because she “improved” everything is fine. No one should even need to be told these things. She’s torched bridges. No one wants to talk to her. It’s so uncomfortable and toxic.
You should look closely comparing her to it a photo of the CEO of the company. I believe you might be appearing soon on an episode of Undercover Boss.

Seriously, unless it is work related don't engage with her. Ignore her. Seems like you are entirely focused on her habits, and I think that's what is upsetting you.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 AM

318 posts, read 466,914 times
Quote:
No, she is universally despised.

I have heard at least 3 people from the hiring team lament the fact of just how big of a mistake they made. Management complained how the HR process was broken and didn’t allow them enough interview time to vet this kind of thing out. The VP has personally apologized to me at an offsite that I have to deal with this. So if everyone feels this way, what in the **** is the hold up?

Apparently they (HR)?now stand in the way on the other side of cleaning it up.

It makes me wonder what I could get away with. I’ve received exceeding expectations reviews and been promoted. Can I just stop showing up? Start working 15 hours? What does it actually take to get someone fired?
Is she in a protected class? If so, your HR folks are afraid of a complaint or lawsuit.

Balless HR folks are the bane of my existence. I've seen a lot - and they all of a sudden become "afraid" of terminating an affirmative action hire because of "consequences."

The work attire and "smelly" situation should be able to be addressed via the employee manual... do you actually have one?

Old 03-11-2019, 04:22 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
OK, choose to defend the toxic, rude, and underperforming person over 90% of the department. Lol. The OP seems honest, concerned and straightforward to me. If the OP initiates no action as a result of this thread, then my sympathy diminishes a little.

OP, please let us know what action you and others at your workplace decide to take regarding this matter in the next week or so. Thanks in advance!

At most of my jobs, I’ve been involved in 360 performance reviews where you review everyone above, below, and at your same level. I’ve never provided much negative feedback. However, for this person, I provided just about as scathing of a review possible. Detail of all unprofessional behavior and a final opinion that she doesn’t not have a place in professional business let alone a place of these *insert hr slogan* values. I called her combative, rude, and toxic to the culture. The word used by 2 or 3 others was that she was cancer.

Well, if this is undercover boss, it’s going to be awkward when the “CEOs” comments bashing our external auditors, IT, HR, and board of directors come to light. Lol!!

What I’ve decided to do based on the advice of others both here and contacts I know in my profession at other large companies is for me to just lay low now. On Friday, I got very very angry at her fake behavior but I’ve realized now that’s wrong of me. I walked out and workedremotely from a different area and my two directors both were concerned because they think I’m angry enough to leave. It just went on for so long with her being out of control that I just wanted her gone instantly, but I see now this is not how this works. Maybe she can change. Or maybe she can fake it. Either way, it shouldn’t matter to me if the original behaviors are cleaned up.

I’m not going to let her change me and make me seem like the angry employee. I’m going to take back my power and just go about my business and let this run it’s course. Maybe she’ll be gone. I just need to stop obsessing about her behavior and letting it invade my thoughts. And that’s what I’m going to do starting this morning.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,806 times
Quote:
And yet my company will reorganize and throws thousands upon thousands to the curb. But when it comes to 1 single employee, it makes moving heaven and earth to do anything.
How many protected class checkboxes does she have?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,067,815 times
Out of curiosity, how many people are filing complaints with HR regarding her actions and especially her sexual comments? If no one is, that's part of the problem. If you haven't, you need to. THAT is what gets someone fired....the threat of a sexual harassment lawsuit, lol. not really, but reporting her helps.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM

66 posts, read 40,924 times
I guess I'm not really understanding your trouble here. This woman is your coworker. She's obnoxious and terrible, but you don't report to her, she's doesn't report to you, and you don't collab on work together. So where do your paths cross enough for you to feel like the entire workplace has gone sour and toxic?

Me personally, as long as I don't have an issue with management or my direct boss, I could care less what my obnoxious coworkers do or say. I'm there to make money and advance myself and career.

IMO I think people get wayyyyy to caught up in "corporate cultures", and being the "right fit" and getting along with the team, i.e. playing politics. It leads to a very homogenous work place that's actually terrible for productivity and more about socializing.

I'm not discounting that this woman is a terrible person to work with who probably brings nothing of value to the team, but I'm still stuck as to how this is such an inconvenience to you to the point that you are considering leaving your good job. I've worked with obnoxious people before too. Usually the quality of the work is different because those folks are too busy focused on trying to show off. But being loud doesnt mean your work is good or smart. Focus on yourself, have confidence in yourself and your team. They probably are keeping her for reasons you don't know (maybe she's getting paid very little and saving the company money?)

More details on the work flow structure please!

Quote:
This is a white collar Department in a Fortune 500 company. We’re all CPAs or attorneys. A new employee somehow got into this job who is rude, abrasive, smelly, wears hoodedsweat shirts, ect. She’s an arrogant know it all with no experience in an entry level role. She is universally despised. She makes absurd sexual comments, argues like a Jerry springer episode on the phone with her husband in an open concept. Bashes homeless, talks about drinking and smoking daily. In other words, she’s unquestioningly unqualified to work in any professional environment let alone here.

They’ve tried to move her. People refuse to sit with her. They’ve tried to move her into a different role. They outright refused.

Most of this was undocumented, but my manager (this whole situation makes me think she’s a weak manager unable to cut lose the TRASH) has finally documented it because she can see that it’s going to drive off actual talent if it’s not fixed. The employee was put on a pip. She was talked to about her behavior. How this is pip worthy is beyond me. It’s an at will state. How long would this person be on it? Can they actually survive this?

So rather than being overtly obnoxious unlike anything I’ve ever seen, she now is silent. She works super hard on her work documenting everything. She will only interact in the most outrageous fake voice you’ve ever seen. The team morale is being absolutely crushed. No one talks now. I don’t even want to come in anymore. In my opinion she is toxic to the entire team. It’s worse than had they said anything but in a different way. Being part of the team is part of the job. This is the 21st century.

So HR professionals, what does it actually take to force someone out of a company?

Signed, an employee who has never seen such a disgrace.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:14 PM

41 posts, read 24,096 times
Quote:
At most of my jobs, I’ve been involved in 360 performance reviews where you review everyone above, below, and at your same level. I’ve never provided much negative feedback. However, for this person, I provided just about as scathing of a review possible. Detail of all unprofessional behavior and a final opinion that she doesn’t not have a place in professional business let alone a place of these *insert hr slogan* values. I called her combative, rude, and toxic to the culture. The word used by 2 or 3 others was that she was cancer.
2 or 3 referred to her with the word "cancer?" That means they got together and decided what words they would use to smear the woman with in the review. I highly doubt 2 or 3 people would otherwise all refer to her with the same word. Besides, "cancer" and "toxic" are emotionally charged words that make it seem like it's more about a personal hatred of the woman. Do you people spend more time plotting to get this woman fired than doing your jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19
On Friday, I got very very angry at her fake behavior but I’ve realized now that’s wrong of me. I walked out and workedremotely from a different area and my two directors both were concerned because they think I’m angry enough to leave.
So it sounds like you don't have much emotional control if your anger is showing like that. What was the "fake behavior" that she was exhibiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mua_fifi
I guess I'm not really understanding your trouble here. This woman is your coworker. She's obnoxious and terrible, but you don't report to her, she's doesn't report to you, and you don't collab on work together. So where do your paths cross enough for you to feel like the entire workplace has gone sour and toxic?

Me personally, as long as I don't have an issue with management or my direct boss, I could care less what my obnoxious coworkers do or say. I'm there to make money and advance myself and career.

IMO I think people get wayyyyy to caught up in "corporate cultures", and being the "right fit" and getting along with the team, i.e. playing politics. It leads to a very homogenous work place that's actually terrible for productivity and more about socializing.
Exactly. All too often, the corporate office environment is all about who likes who, a popularity contest, rather than simply who can get the job done. Employees who don't fit in with the "culture" get mobbed out.

Last edited by livingdaybyday; 03-12-2019 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 PM

66 posts, read 40,924 times
I totally agree with you, the way the OP is so personally involved, he's now to the point that he's enraged enough to quit. He's overly invested in this woman and their "deteriorating" corporate culture, imo.

And yes, the obsession with "fit" is such a waste of time. And so is creating such a divide in the workplace with an in-group and out-group. Most of that is superficial crap and not based on actual abilities or skills at all. But that's not the OP's fault, as this is how most of corporate america is.

My advice to the OP is to get a life outside of work. You come to work to do your job, make money, and hopefully have a little fun while doing it or meet some good co-workers while you're there. You're not there to make friends and you're there to make money. Really try to drill that into your head. Anything distracting you from that goal is not worth it. Period.

Goodluck OP! I'd be damned if I let my coworker run me out of my job! But hey you got to do what's best for you and your mental health. You might want to take some time off and get away to put the situation into perspective and how your thinking is contributing to your problems with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
2 or 3 referred to her with the word "cancer?" That means they got together and decided what words they would use to smear the woman with in the review. I highly doubt 2 or 3 people would otherwise all refer to her with the same word. Besides, "cancer" and "toxic" are emotionally charged words that make it seem like it's more about a personal hatred of the woman. Do you people spend more time plotting to get this woman fired than doing your jobs?

So it sounds like you don't have much emotional control if your anger is showing like that. What was the "fake behavior" that she was exhibiting?

Exactly. All too often, the corporate office environment is all about who likes who, a popularity contest, rather than simply who can get the job done. Employees who don't fit in with the "culture" get mobbed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment