Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 PM

177 posts, read 131,433 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
Just had a quick question for you all . I’ve posted here in the past about my job .from everyone’s advice I started looking for another job around the end of January 2019 . I have had a few interviews but no solid offers as of yet. I’m not giving up , I’m submitted applications every day as I am ready to leave this job ASAP
Well as of lately .things has turned for the worse so much so that I have panic attacks , crying spells
I’ve completely isolated myself from friends and family so much so that I have been seeing a psychologist AND a Psychiatrist for the last year or so with my symptoms worsening so much so that I have even contemplated suicide . I’ve acknowledged that I am depressedand have been given the diagnosis of Major Depression and General Anxiety
With this diagnosis, would I qualify for STD or FMLA or some type of assistance
I’m really desperate to leave to preserve my mental health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 04:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
I di not believe Texas has any separate State Disability Fund like those liberal run states like California, so your on your own with feds (Social Security) only.

If your employer has a company provided disability insurance, you need to check with them to see if you are eligible.

If you and the company qualify, you are free to request FMLA. But, FMLA is unpaid; more along the lines of job protection. Of course, it will enable you to keep your health insurance until you use up all your days.

So, it looks like the only known monetary option (if you can qualify) is Social Security Disability.

Both the feds and Texas does have assistance programs if your willing to have yourself declared mentally incompetent or mentally unstable. However, this is best suited for a discussion in the Mental Health sub-forum on CD.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:32 PM

No it’s not that bad where I need to be on social security
More along the lines like I just need a break from my job for a few months
We do offer STD and LTD in which I have paid into for the past three years I ve been employed
I believe UNUM is the company that administers our STD

Old 03-10-2019, 04:43 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
How to File for a Stress Leave at Work

Quote:
The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) applies to companies with 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius of the workplace. For FMLA eligibility, you must have been employed by your company for at least a year and have worked at least 1250 hours in the past 12 months. If you meet these qualifications, it’s possible that you are eligible for legal protection for your stress leave.

Go to your Human Resources department and let them know you would like to take an FMLA approved absence for stress leave. They will provide you with the necessary paperwork that you must take to your doctor. Just saying you are too stressed out to work is not sufficient.
Leave of Absence / Short-term Disability Insurance for Depression?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
So FMLA would give you protected time off work when needed, but it's without pay. That would give you about 12 weeks of unpaid time off from work in a 12 month period. You will have to go through the admin process, so make sure your health care professional is on board.

But if you have company STD and LTD, consider using that, especially if you eventually are looking to leave and get another job. before speaking to anyone in the company about STD and LTD coverage, you need to pull out your plan documents and read it for yourself. You want to make absolutely sure you understand all the ins and outs of the plan. Many company sponsored DI programs have gotchas that can come back to bite you, so make sure you know whats in the documents for yourself. The worst type of DI applicant to the employer and DI carrier is one who knows what it says before they apply.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
If you can get a doctor (psychiatrist?) to fill out the paperwork then absolutely. What are you doing proactively to manage the stresss in the meantime? I work in a high stress field and self care is important plus there are meds that can help you feel less stressed or therapy can help too. I would definitely see a psychiatrist if you haven’t yet and ask them about it. I’m sure they have experience with this sort of thing. But in the meantime try to find some time to yourself to relax each day. Even a quick walk at lunch can help.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Keep in mind that a doctor has to agree that you have a FMLA qualifying condition.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
With this diagnosis, would I qualify for STD or FMLA or some type of assistance I’m really desperate to leave to preserve my mental health
Are you currently on a Short Term Disability plan? Whether mental health is covered will be determined by the insurance carrier that issues the policy. You will need to contact the insurance carrier directly or talk to your HR about it. There's paperwork you will need to complete so you'll need to talk to your HR eventually.

FMLA allows for unpaid leave but protects your job and health benefits while you're on leave.

Here is some helpful information on STD versus FMLA:

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payr...sability-fmla/

Old 03-12-2019, 03:42 PM

I spoke to my psychiatrist and medical doctor and both is will to fill out the paperwork to take FMLA

Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
A mental health diagnosis will usually qualify for your employer's short term disability coverage if medical necessity criteria is met. However typically the benefit is usually 60% of your current salary. You will not normally receive 100% of your salary if you qualify for STD and benefits are limited to 26 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment