Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times

Advertisements

You can push their hand by telling them you have a better offer for 20K more and tell them, hey, I'm not going to be able to work past another week unless I either have a promotional oppty here in writing along with a clearer definition of my work responsibility that ensures what just happened wont happen again, OR I'm taking the other job.

You'll know within a day what they want to do at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Get out now.

Anytime HR is involved the employee is doomed. My boss used to refer to HR as "hospice". Once HR is called in you will be terminated. They will do what management wants. You are irrelevant.

There is too much focus-and whining-about this other employee. Stop the finger pointing. Focus on YOUR job. It doesn't matter what the other employees are doing or the source of your workload. If it isn't manageable then go to your boss with solutions.

Like the others have said-if you die tomorrow your work will still get done.

Take a step back and ask yourself if anything positive has happened since this began.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:38 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I'd take the new job and work on your project on your own time and get it finished. I would work both jobs while you can since they arent checking in on you and not letting you in the office.

I'd bank the extra paycheck and when they do ask you to come in, you can quit then to keep your new full time job.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:03 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I'd take the new job and work on your project on your own time and get it finished. I would work both jobs while you can since they arent checking in on you and not letting you in the office.
They aren't checking to see if you're doing anything, so it is completely foolish not to double dip.
I wouldn't even bother doing any more work on the first job. I'd just take the money... April 15 is no longer your problem.

If this $20K more job actually happens, then quit the new job.

Maximizing your income opportunity should be your priority here.
When I read that they were dumb enough to pay you without making sure you were actually doing work, I saw flashing dollar signs.
If they don't care, then neither should you. What's the worst that could happen, getting fired? Boo hoo, you already got another job!

Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch100000 View Post
Then I could just move back home with my family and i could last indefinetely until i found a new job.
I can't imagine your family would be OK with this. Do you feel entitled to a free place to stay "indefinitely"?

What about the ex-girlfriend who is pregnant with your child? Will she be joining you?

Old 03-14-2019, 08:11 AM

346 posts, read 550,895 times
I can't imagine my family NOT insist that I move back home with my parents or even with my brother or sister if I suddenly lose a job and a place to stay. And the feeling is definitely mutual--they're my family. They're entitled to my help in any and all ways, no questions asked. Sounds like OP and his/her family is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I can't imagine your family would be OK with this. Do you feel entitled to a free place to stay "indefinitely"?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
OP did not suddenly "lose" his job. He quit and flounced off in a fit of pique.

I am not sure I would want my irresponsible adult son and his accidentally pregnant ex-girlfriend to assume they could use my place as a flop house whenever they ****ed up.

You can bet there would be "questions asked." Maybe that's just me.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:35 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch100000 View Post
first off, i know it was incredibly stupid to impulsively quit. live and learn. no need to dwell on that.

Backstory

I used to really like my job. However, it changed when we got a new department head who didnt know everyones roles on the team. One of my coworkers has slowly been dumping all the "grunt"work onto me and more or less has appointed herself a "project manager" while i do all the work and she more or less just tries to present my projects. She coincendentally started working from home up to 6-7 days in a row and isnt even calling into half of the planning meetings.

I've talked to my boss about this and he doesnt really seem to care and just makes excuses for her. So, my workload more or less doubled and i am paticulary frustrated that its more or less rubbed in my face with her not even showing up to work.

Quiting

It pretty much came to a head when my coworker who is supposed to long into one of our clients accounts and retrieve information hadnt done so in 6 months and her account got deactivated due to inactivity. She wrote a big email blaming me saying it was my responsibility.

So, i pretty much said this is ****ing bull****. She isnt even showing up to work. And this is clearly not my work.

Originally, my manager sided with me IMO and removed her work from home privileges. Additionally, she had a direct report that was reporting to her and that got shifted to another manager. so that is a pretty big hit to her.

But, I took my time and pulled out all the emails from previous years showing all the work that I have taken over for her and show it was hundred of hours. He more or less didnt want to hear it and said i shouldnt care what other employees are doing. and he didnt remove the workload from me. So, my job stayed with a ton of extra work.

So, i quit saying im not just going to keep enabling her behavior anymore. Im tired of having to work weekends covering.

Aftermath

i apologized and asked if we could work it out. HR told me lets finish the project your on due 4/15 and go from there. But, in the mean time, work from home.

Its been a month and they are still having me work from home. I have since taken over 100 pct of the project and have had no contact with anyone in the office other than one check up call with hr where she asked if i could take on more work and told me to keep working from home.

Question

so, i was actually able to get a verbal offer for a completely lateral move to another(larger) company relatively quickly. However, I have had some initial interviews with companies where the job would be paying substantially more money. (20k) and are just all around awesome jobs. Additionally, Ive been wanting to move states for a while now and this could be a good opportunity to do so.

basically, I am trying to figure out how much time left i have at this company. Do you think they are just stringing me on until 4/15 when my project is due and will terminate me after that date? or do you think they are genuine about trying to figure something out and would give me more time?

if they are just going to fire me on 4/15, it probably makes sense to take the opportunity that i have in hand.

Whether they intend to fire you or not is irrelevant. Never pass up an opportunity to improve your circumstances in life. You need to think bigger, not laterally. Move on and move up, and don't look back. You'll thank me later.

SS

Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM

52 posts, read 29,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Get out now.

Anytime HR is involved the employee is doomed. My boss used to refer to HR as "hospice". Once HR is called in you will be terminated. They will do what management wants. You are irrelevant.

There is too much focus-and whining-about this other employee. Stop the finger pointing. Focus on YOUR job. It doesn't matter what the other employees are doing or the source of your workload. If it isn't manageable then go to your boss with solutions.

Like the others have said-if you die tomorrow your work will still get done.

Take a step back and ask yourself if anything positive has happened since this began.
Its a tough situation as I honestly flat out didnt want to do the work she is passing off to me at all. It sucks, I wouldnt never apply for a job that would have me doing that type of work, let alone that much of it.

so even if i could push back my timelines, it would still lower the quality of my job substantially.

so how do i really say that without focusing on the other person? its pretty tough and would require alot of finesse. realistically, i think most people would just leave in that situation. which sucks getting pushed out of your job because someone who isnt even your boss just stopped showing up to work.

but, nothing has happened positively since this all began... i havent even heard from them. Other than the fact that I am working from home, so ive been able to live a more active and healthy lifestyle

Old 03-14-2019, 02:09 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Your current employer is not pleased with you at all. Your quitting is tantamount to disloyalty.
I don't understand why they would make you work from home but I would like that.

I say work it, get paid, and if they give you the pink slip then you find a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment