Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM

52 posts, read 29,048 times

Advertisements

first off, i know it was incredibly stupid to impulsively quit. live and learn. no need to dwell on that.

Backstory

I used to really like my job. However, it changed when we got a new department head who didnt know everyones roles on the team. One of my coworkers has slowly been dumping all the "grunt"work onto me and more or less has appointed herself a "project manager" while i do all the work and she more or less just tries to present my projects. She coincendentally started working from home up to 6-7 days in a row and isnt even calling into half of the planning meetings.

I've talked to my boss about this and he doesnt really seem to care and just makes excuses for her. So, my workload more or less doubled and i am paticulary frustrated that its more or less rubbed in my face with her not even showing up to work.

Quiting

It pretty much came to a head when my coworker who is supposed to long into one of our clients accounts and retrieve information hadnt done so in 6 months and her account got deactivated due to inactivity. She wrote a big email blaming me saying it was my responsibility.

So, i pretty much said this is ****ing bull****. She isnt even showing up to work. And this is clearly not my work.

Originally, my manager sided with me IMO and removed her work from home privileges. Additionally, she had a direct report that was reporting to her and that got shifted to another manager. so that is a pretty big hit to her.

But, I took my time and pulled out all the emails from previous years showing all the work that I have taken over for her and show it was hundred of hours. He more or less didnt want to hear it and said i shouldnt care what other employees are doing. and he didnt remove the workload from me. So, my job stayed with a ton of extra work.

So, i quit saying im not just going to keep enabling her behavior anymore. Im tired of having to work weekends covering.

Aftermath

i apologized and asked if we could work it out. HR told me lets finish the project your on due 4/15 and go from there. But, in the mean time, work from home.

Its been a month and they are still having me work from home. I have since taken over 100 pct of the project and have had no contact with anyone in the office other than one check up call with hr where she asked if i could take on more work and told me to keep working from home.

Question

so, i was actually able to get a verbal offer for a completely lateral move to another(larger) company relatively quickly. However, I have had some initial interviews with companies where the job would be paying substantially more money. (20k) and are just all around awesome jobs. Additionally, Ive been wanting to move states for a while now and this could be a good opportunity to do so.

basically, I am trying to figure out how much time left i have at this company. Do you think they are just stringing me on until 4/15 when my project is due and will terminate me after that date? or do you think they are genuine about trying to figure something out and would give me more time?

if they are just going to fire me on 4/15, it probably makes sense to take the opportunity that i have in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 12:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I can almost guarantee you are gone on 4/15. If you can't go without a job for some time, then take the offer you have. If you can afford to be without work for awhile then hold out for the other, or try stalling with the offer you have.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I can almost guarantee you are gone on 4/15. If you can't go without a job for some time, then take the offer you have. If you can afford to be without work for awhile then hold out for the other, or try stalling with the offer you have.
financially i can last until my lease runs out in october with zero change in my monthly budget if i were let go today. Then I could just move back home with my family and i could last indefinetely until i found a new job.

ofcourse, id have to explain not having a job though. What makes it tough, is that literally between making my post and this reply, one of my dream jobs called me for an interview. Part of me really thinks I can turn this negative experience and action by me, into a positive outcome if im just patient.

I feel like i am going on 4/15 too. I feel like they are lying more or less to string me on which is kind of ****ty.

The only thing that gives me pause is (1) I am the only person in our office that has the technical skillset to do my work (2) they asked if i would take on more work last week (3) the other person was genuinely not working at all so with me out it may become more obvious

Old 03-12-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch100000 View Post
financially i can last until my lease runs out in october with zero change in my monthly budget if i were let go today. Then I could just move back home with my family and i could last indefinetely until i found a new job.

ofcourse, id have to explain not having a job though. What makes it tough, is that literally between making my post and this reply, one of my dream jobs called me for an interview. Part of me really thinks I can turn this negative experience and action by me, into a positive outcome if im just patient.

I feel like i am going on 4/15 too. I feel like they are lying more or less to string me on which is kind of ****ty.

The only thing that gives me pause is (1) I am the only person in our office that has the technical skillset to do my work (2) they asked if i would take on more work last week (3) the other person was genuinely not working at all so with me out it may become more obvious
I'd hold out for the dream job for now since it sounds like you have a plan to not stay homeless if things don't work out. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2019, 01:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:

Why are you even thinking of moving in with family past October, when you are interviewing now with an employer paying $20k more? They are not going to stretch out for for another 9 months to November.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Why are you even thinking of moving in with family past October, when you are interviewing now with an employer paying $20k more? They are not going to stretch out for for another 9 months to November.
Im just planning on worst case scenario.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Im just planning on worst case scenario.
This job is already lost, if you are already making plans for being unemployed in 8 months.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
This job is already lost, if you are already making plans for being unemployed in 8 months.
I don't think he's making plans to be unemployed. He's just saying if he doesn't get this job ($20k more job) then he'd be fine financially until then.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:25 PM

4,967 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Take the opportunity that you have in your hand. It looks like you are going to be fired after 4/15. That present management that you have now is definitely not on your side.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Take the opportunity that you have in your hand. It looks like you are going to be fired after 4/15. That present management that you have now is definitely not on your side.
Are you sure if the other employee has been penalized by losing her direct reports and losing her work from home priveledges? Thats pretty substantial slap on the hands.

If she was posting on here, you may be saying the same thing to her if she was complaining about losing all her employees and no longer being able to use the company flex work schedule.

Im 50/50 of them not being on my side vs simply them not wanting to deal with drama.

But, i also wonder if i should quit before 4/15 since i can financially afford it, to avoid having to answer if i have ever been terminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment