Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times

Advertisements

I did some work at an manufacturing plant. half hr lunch and 2 10 mins breaks.
So many people thought the 10 min breaks were BS, by the time you walked to the restroom and than breakroom or outside it felt like your break was over.
I never felt refreshed with 10 min breaks or appreciated, stupid companies don't realize little things like that will make someone dislike working for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Yes. 9 years of 7-hour shifts with not a single break. Except we got half the year off with unemployment, so no one complained!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Here in CA your employers gets huge fines if they don't give you 30 min lunches.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM

164 posts, read 334,616 times
I work in a factory with no lunch breaks.

Working 8 hrs is two 20 minute breaks. Working 12 hrs is three 20 minute breaks and one 10 minute break. It is popular as we have no unpaid time while we are here, an 8-hr shift is 8 hrs, not 8 1/2 or 9. We are not allowed to leave the building during a shift.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
How do you do labor jobs with no lunch breaks? Do you stuff your face like wild dogs hiding in the restroom. Its absurd to let employers break laws let alone being humane about it.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Have you ever worked for a company which did not provide any lunch or rest breaks? If so, how long were your shifts and did you get used to it over time?
Well, I'd be lying if I said "No" here's what I did..."Gas Jockey" my breaks were when the customers quit coming (It did happen some days) and I'd grab lunch from a nearby gas station that had food and such, we only did gas, cigs and milk..(Go figure) Obviously I went onto other jobs, but that job taught me a lot of money handling, scammers and thieving bosses...

Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Have you ever worked for a company which did not provide any lunch or rest breaks? If so, how long were your shifts and did you get used to it over time?

We just had a new co-worker start this week and she informed us her old employer did not give breaks. She said they were allowed to bring food in to eat at their desks while they worked, but I don't consider that a "lunch break" though. Also no 10 or 15 minute breaks either (she is so happy we get two 15's here).
I'm an employer, and that's illegal. Law requires a minimum 15 min. break for every 4 hours, with a 30 min. break on top of that per 8 hour shift, or what the common people know as a "lunch break."

That being said, my employees work outdoors in the Florida heat all year long. I don't dictate when they take breaks, it's at their own discretion. They can also take as long of a lunch as they need or want. My job is to make their job as pleasant and easy as possible, and if that requires longer breaks than the bare minimum, then that's what they get.

SS

Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times
All I can say is watch out for companies without people in the cafeteria between 12:15 and 12:45. What that also means that you don't get to go home at 5 and maybe not 6 either.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I'm an employer, and that's illegal. Law requires a minimum 15 min. break for every 4 hours, with a 30 min. break on top of that per 8 hour shift, or what the common people know as a "lunch break."

That being said, my employees work outdoors in the Florida heat all year long. I don't dictate when they take breaks, it's at their own discretion. They can also take as long of a lunch as they need or want. My job is to make their job as pleasant and easy as possible, and if that requires longer breaks than the bare minimum, then that's what they get.

SS
It is not necessarily illegal, as it is a matter of state law. If you are in a state that requires it, then it is illegal not to provide it. I believe FL requires a 15-minute break for every 4 hours along with a 30 minute lunch break every 8 hours, but some states don’t mandate any sort of break. Working in FL, where it is super hot most of the year and people need breaks to remain hydrated and safe is different from working in other states where the weather might be a bit milder or easier to handle without a break.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM

164 posts, read 334,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
How do you do labor jobs with no lunch breaks? Do you stuff your face like wild dogs hiding in the restroom. Its absurd to let employers break laws let alone being humane about it.
In our case its actually popular, from the start of our shift to the end there is no unpaid time. We do not have to spend 8 1/2 or 9 hours here and only get paid for 8. I guess it may be illegal, but if no one complains or starts a case about it, it'll stay. The break times are 20 minutes, which generally allows for two small meals; managers aren't also supposed to discipline unless the break was longer than 25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment