Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 10,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
I've been an admin assistant for almost 20 years. Like others, I wonder why you don't go for office manager jobs instead of admin.
A bit late with my response... I would honestly say I don't feel qualified enough to attempt that since I've been limited to working for smaller organizations. At my current position I work just under the general manger/office manager, and unless they retire I can't take the role.

I felt to get into a larger company it might just be better to start at the same position and work my way up, but maybe I will consider office manager roles going forward.

I did skim through the forum regarding the relevance of admins and it was pretty interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident212 View Post
A bit late with my response... I would honestly say I don't feel qualified enough to attempt that since I've been limited to working for smaller organizations. At my current position I work just under the general manger/office manager, and unless they retire I can't take the role.

I felt to get into a larger company it might just be better to start at the same position and work my way up, but maybe I will consider office manager roles going forward.

I did skim through the forum regarding the relevance of admins and it was pretty interesting.
Larger companies are usually more stable and organized and offer better pay and benefits. I've worked for a few very small companies. Some of them were fun, they were laid back, but they were also unstable.

Even if you know your way around Word, Excel, Acrobat, etc., take some intermediate or advanced courses in them. There are functions in them that most people have never heard of. They're there to help automate the work and reduce errors. Lynda.com offers some great courses--I've taken some and recommend them. I haven't checked to see if they have courses on file organization. But a larger office will probably have a paperless filing system that you'll need to learn inside and out. Read the manual.

Your experience with machines will be helpful when dealing with printers/copiers. High-capacity machines are programmable, and you can save yourself time and effort if you know how to program them. Find a manual online and read it. You'll probably need to unjam the copies and replace toners, waste containers, etc. Follow the instructions on the screen and you'll be the hero. For some reason, copiers mystify people.

Your experience with artwork could be useful for putting together presentations or proposals.

Admins usually have to cover the front desk now and then, so your experience as a greeter would help, too.

So, that's more admin stuff rather than office manager. You might need to have both sets of skills since middle management jobs are going away or being combined with other duties. At the last two CPA firms where I've worked, two office managers were booted and weren't replaced.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Problem. You will be competing for a job as an office administrator, with those with an office administration degree. Companies will go for someone with an office administration degree. Small companies with a small office is your easiest path to find a job.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 PM

After more than 20 years spent working in offices, this is the first time I've ever heard of an office administration degree.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
GOOGLE it and you will find there are 2 year and 4 year office administration degrees. Some of them will industry specific, such as medical office administration degrees. And this degree can be very well paid. Some larger employers are now requiring one, and the degree holder jumps over even people with 20 years experience. It is the wave of the future in offices.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
After more than 20 years spent working in offices, this is the first time I've ever heard of an office administration degree.
Hmm..i have been applying for admin asst. jobs ( career change from B2B SALES) ....not going back to college at this point in my life....I have wondered about online certification courses.....yes, applying at small offices vs competing and losing against seasoned pros. So far...no takers.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
GOOGLE it and you will find there are 2 year and 4 year office administration degrees. Some of them will industry specific, such as medical office administration degrees. And this degree can be very well paid. Some larger employers are now requiring one, and the degree holder jumps over even people with 20 years experience. It is the wave of the future in offices.
A four-year degree to get a $14 an hour job?

Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
What job are you looking for?

Are you looking for an AA job or an office manager job? I'm assuming both.

You'll need two different resumes, one for each role.

For the AA job, get rid of all "manager" titles and change them to AA's. Many office managers are just AA's with a fancy title.
mail.com has a secretary.net domain and you can sign up for a free mail that makes you look more professional.

For the officer manager job, use the manager titles and "head AA" titles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment