Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:01 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch100000 View Post
I have probably had 2 phone interviews a day this week. I pretty much spend most of my work day applying to jobs lol
More and more people are spending enormous amounts of time interviewing and leading to nowhere. My mentee is literally on his 100th interview (combining phone or in-person) in 2 years. About 75% of the interviews he got were after I started mentoring him. Why does it take interactions with over 100 different employers to get a measly 35k entry level job? It wasn't even this bad when I graduated in '09. It's worse because the job opportunities are THERE ON PAPER but not in reality.

It seems employers today love to spend business hours and waste time interviewing thousands of candidates for hundreds of positions through phone/video/in-person and not hiring. The only logical explanation we can conclude is these jobs are FAKE and DON'T EXIST. Half of them don't even have the budget approved based on my colleague interviewing now for IN-DEMAND Tableau BI/Analytics jobs...

We have 4% Unemployment and a sub-65% labor force participation rate that won't budge (laid off boomers locked out due to age discrimination, recent grads stuck at home and locked out of the job market FOREVER stuck in a catch-22 loop)

Yet the average time to fill for positions continue to rise year over year even for "entry level" roles which pay below 45k in major cities.

CAPE ratios don't matter - If you want to know the real reason and indicator we're headed to a recession - Look at how these hiring managers behave and how incompetent they are. Running the company into the ground by being hyper-selective for the corporate equivalent of a ditch digger job.

Many make the excuse - "There's too many unqualified applicants" - Despite the fact that many use ATS systems. So basically you're saying either the ATS doesn't work or you have no clue what you're doing and can't select a good candidate for sh**.

This is the current market right now. For those older folks claiming it's not different - For starters, there was no such thing as ATS in 1986 so stop the madness.

No more excuses - We have to admit this economy is trash and we've all been hoodwinked into thinking it's great. Corporate wages have dropped and continue to decline since 2007 or even before that. Student Loan defaults peaked in '12 and still haven't gone down. Reverse mortgages are up. Credit Card 90 day DQs are up. Yet job #'s are up? Something is not adding up. Open your eyes...Bottom line - Unless it's a Cannabis or Crytpo company you're interviewing with, things are not looking good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 02:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m getting call backs and interviews often. At this point, it’s more about me finding the right fit in the right area at the right pay than finding work at all.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I have been unemployed 4 weeks.

I interviewed with 4 employers. Three out of four of them offered me the job. The last one wanted to offer me the job, but they had to wait on approvals from manager to come back from vacation.
That's about a 100% acceptance rate.

I will be making 4 times more than my salary in 2007 (~$11/hr). I start in a few weeks for $100k+/yr.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:49 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No more excuses - We have to admit this economy is trash and we've all been hoodwinked into thinking it's great. Corporate wages have dropped and continue to decline since 2007 or even before that. Student Loan defaults peaked in '12 and still haven't gone down. Reverse mortgages are up. Credit Card 90 day DQs are up. Yet job #'s are up? Something is not adding up. Open your eyes...Bottom line - Unless it's a Cannabis or Crytpo company you're interviewing with, things are not looking good.
I am starting to think it is more complicated than that. In fact in light of last week's college scandal I am starting to wonder if HR people aren't getting kick backs.

Where I work we have several jobs. Yet, it is all bizarre. The financial and hr divisions always get new jobs even though, frankly they do NO work. These jobs take months.. MONTHS to fill, and involve too too many interviews. And in the end... the winning candidate never seems to knock anyone's socks off...

I am legitimately starting to wonder if HR people (or someone) is getting paid to fill spots. Or a candidate gets the job based on the value to the organization (ie daddy is a state senator or something).

The insane amount of interviewing imho has to be a way to determine if candidates are pay to play and the fact that no matter how busy the "core" work is... they refuse to hire more people but are always creating new positions for management heavy positions such as HR and finance... says to me that jobs have become less about having people do the work and more about some financial benefit.

I am always told that statistics determine if we get help or not. The problem is that my work has doubled over the years and we still get no help. I would not be surprised if we do get positions authorized and they are turned into management / hr positions.

There is something suspicious about the HR Process... something that we all are being effected by.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:56 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Mehh.. It all depends on where you are located. Its all relative

Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
We just had a long thread about how many of us feel that the rosy numbers and projects aren't representing reality - probably more through reliance on aging and less relevant indicators than on any overt conspiracy or cover-up.

Quite a few here have said the job market is essentially dead to them, despite the news and stories about employers who can't get employees and smug claims from those here who have recruiters doing death battles over them. Those reports are too widespread and from too many reliable participants here to discount entirely as some kind of pocket or localized flukes.

It's all further evidence to me of continuing shrinkage in the real job market - long coming, long ignored and about to accelerate. In ten years, the curves showing job market shrinkage will begin at least a few years ago, and the pompous ones who got an A in Econ years ago will be spluttering, "But of course!" instead of, as now, spewing all the Jurassic Park indicators and metrics that show it can't be so.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:

Who crapped in your corn flakes? I'm one person. All I need is one job. My personal wages have been increasing consistently. I can't relate to your doom and gloom.

Fake jobs? All these companies have nothing better to do than post "fake" jobs just to dupe strangers?

I suppose for some people, all of this is a great excuse to use to explains ones lack of success. *shrug*

Old 03-17-2019, 04:05 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Mehh.. It all depends on where you are located. Its all relative
Agreed. I think most of the people in here are referring to the job market in the US where opportunity is really great right now.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
"I wasn't hired, or the person I know wasn't hired, so the job must be fake." Got it.

List three things your mentee could improve in their education, work performance, or job hunting skills to start.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Fake jobs? All these companies have nothing better to do than post "fake" jobs just to dupe strangers?
Or the jobs get filled but companies still leave the opening posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment