U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM

959 posts, read 362,860 times

Advertisements

I'm so super excited about my 2nd interview tomorrow with an insurance company.It is for an assistant underwriter position. The first interview was good. I listened more than I talked and the Personal Lines Manager seemed to be trying to sell me on the company.

I know I meet the qualifications. I just need some tips on how to answer basic interview questions. I'm afraid I'm gonna freeze and forget what to say. Two more people will be in the interview tomorrow. Help please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,470,654 times
I just went on job hunt. Nailed all my interviews with 5 different employers. One of them bailed on me, after hearing my salary requirements. Three of the other four offered a job and salary number. The 4th was working on an offer, but I already accepted one of the other offers.

I focused on how I start the interview and how I end it.

1) Beginning: Make some kind of personal connection. Ask them how they are doing, when you first see them.
2) End: Ask them, if they have questions or concerns that you would cause them to have 2nd thoughts about hiring you. You would be more than happy to clear them up.
3) 24-hr follow up: I send a short generic thank you email about how I enjoyed meeting with them. I am looking forward to the next steps. If they had any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:29 PM

579 posts, read 139,032 times
Just be yourself and be honest. The interviewer already likes you, or you would not be in round two. They can pick up dishonesty and the "over selling" of one self easily. Just be ready for a question like, " What is it about YOU, that will make you a great employee for our company to hire " ?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 PM

17,306 posts, read 10,212,749 times
How To Nail The 2nd Interview

Tips for Acing a Second Interview

7 Secrets of Nailing Your Follow Up Interview

Old 03-18-2019, 08:47 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I'm so super excited about my 2nd interview tomorrow with an insurance company.It is for an assistant underwriter position. The first interview was good. I listened more than I talked and the Personal Lines Manager seemed to be trying to sell me on the company.

I know I meet the qualifications. I just need some tips on how to answer basic interview questions. I'm afraid I'm gonna freeze and forget what to say. Two more people will be in the interview tomorrow. Help please.
Make sure to make eye contact with all 3 people in the interview. Look in all their directions when answering questions.

Best of luck.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 PM

1,550 posts, read 403,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post

Congratulations making it to the 2nd interview!

You should bring your own questions to ask about the work. How they accomplish things there, and use this as a way to show your interest in doing the work. The point to this, is to get them to imagine you working there already.

Please let us know how it goes!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 PM

12,930 posts, read 8,756,659 times
2nd interview usually means "don't blow it" interview. This is where, the more careful you speak and play it safe the more likely are your chances. I always find 2nd interview to be the make or break because you've already convinced them to bring you back. Now it's time to get another look or feel to see if you're likeable or not.

My only recommendation is to speak less and answer concisely without offering yourself too much. You need to show the employer that they need someone like you instead of you needing them.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 AM

2,075 posts, read 601,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
2nd interview usually means "don't blow it" interview. This is where, the more careful you speak and play it safe the more likely are your chances. I always find 2nd interview to be the make or break because you've already convinced them to bring you back. Now it's time to get another look or feel to see if you're likeable or not.

My only recommendation is to speak less and answer concisely without offering yourself too much. You need to show the employer that they need someone like you instead of you needing them.
Maybe 5 years ago but today's interviewing climate where there are 4 and 5 rounds I would not say #2 is "make or break "...

Old 03-19-2019, 07:42 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Maybe 5 years ago but today's interviewing climate where there are 4 and 5 rounds I would not say #2 is "make or break "...
4 or 5 is not typical. 1 or 2 is still much more typical.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:17 AM

2,075 posts, read 601,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
4 or 5 is not typical. 1 or 2 is still much more typical.
I haven't had 2 round and done in like 6-7 years. The only time that happened was when I had my first 4 years of experience. After that anything Senior it's at least 3 rounds minimum if not 4. This is in NYC and in an in-demand field of adtech/martech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or