U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 01:32 PM

329 posts, read 163,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Oh; I thought you said it was teamwork: "In my work, our office is a team. We each are in charge of parts that all interlock and overlap. We hire based upon personalities fitting in with the current team." My mistake!
Acting as a team and teamwork are not the same, but I would have to reveal too much about what I do to clarify more. I do not wish to derail the OPs original question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 11:27 AM

102 posts, read 95,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Increased immaturity of society. Most People do no grow emotionally and in their maturity level after high school. Everyone has a "herd mentality" and if you don't fit into the herd, you aren't welcomed.

Its why most of everyone you ever see getting promoted are the extroverted, backstabbing sociopaths who form cliques. Not the introverted workers who do all the work and bring value and don't care about establishing relationships. Introverts just go in to work, do a good job, work hard, bring value, and leave to go home. Companies hate these types of people today. Its why most of them are toilets.
That's an amazing perspective. I try not get into the whole introvert vs extrovert discussion because people get pretty heated. I think both personalities bring something to the table. I guess I just wondered why at each job I have had, I have gotten the whole you are quiet, why are you so quiet. I used to have the mentality that if every where you go you have the same problem, then it's probably me, but I soon realized that even thought I was nice to everyone not in your face but pleasant that it couldnt be me. I guess there are more out going people than more of the laid back type. I guess the quieter ones serve a purpose because who would do all the work.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,273,911 times
my female co-worker that doesn't know when to shut up around the boss thinks I'm standoffish too jeje

Old 03-30-2019, 09:59 AM

42 posts, read 11,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
That's an amazing perspective. I try not get into the whole introvert vs extrovert discussion because people get pretty heated. I think both personalities bring something to the table. I guess I just wondered why at each job I have had, I have gotten the whole you are quiet, why are you so quiet. I used to have the mentality that if every where you go you have the same problem, then it's probably me, but I soon realized that even thought I was nice to everyone not in your face but pleasant that it couldnt be me. I guess there are more out going people than more of the laid back type. I guess the quieter ones serve a purpose because who would do all the work.
Oh yeah, I've gotten the whole "you're so quiet, why don't you talk to anybody?" spiel before. I've noticed at jobs that regardless of how hard you work and how polite you are, people really won't like you at all if you don't make somewhat of an effort to socialize. Whenever I've been quiet at work, people will act in a somewhat hostile manner towards me until I come out of my shell and make small talk with them. Then they start acting warmly towards me.

Something else I've noticed is that a good boss will like you simply because you work hard and do a good job, but if your coworkers see that you are favored by the boss, they will become jealous. Your coworkers don't care about your job performance at all. In fact, many would rather you be incompetent so it won't make them look bad.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM

690 posts, read 252,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
Oh yeah, I've gotten the whole "you're so quiet, why don't you talk to anybody?" spiel before. I've noticed at jobs that regardless of how hard you work and how polite you are, people really won't like you at all if you don't make somewhat of an effort to socialize. Whenever I've been quiet at work, people will act in a somewhat hostile manner towards me until I come out of my shell and make small talk with them. Then they start acting warmly towards me.

Something else I've noticed is that a good boss will like you simply because you work hard and do a good job, but if your coworkers see that you are favored by the boss, they will become jealous. Your coworkers don't care about your job performance at all. In fact, many would rather you be incompetent so it won't make them look bad.
You wrote this post to express how you felt/feel, but it is like you wrote for me. I feel exactly the same.

I have one top boss who likes me because I'm quiet, neat, organized, work hard, do good job. A couple of people in management disliked me because I did not socialize much and did not flatter them. But now they are okay with me and leave me alone (win-win situation) because if they create problems for me, they will have a hard time also (loose-loose situation), and the high above will stop them. A few co-workers dislike me and are jealous with me; I ignore them because they mean nothing to me, or like they are dead. The rest are mostly nice and neutral.

I work in a large room with several co-workers and a couple of managers in cubicles. One manager is exceptionally good. She works VERY hard, leads by example and is very selfless. The other is good too. Besides me, there's another who is quiet also. She just does her job and minds her own business. The rest like to talk a lot about anything and everything everyday. They often go around, visit the neighbor cubicles and ask others how they are doing (to start the conversations) and talk about the weather and their life at home, etc., ... and complain about the workloads (yes, it's true that the workloads here are amazingly overloaded), and they whisper with each other about this and that. Whatever they do or say, that's their business. I just mind my own business. I don’t want to get involved in to such talks. But one day I felt bothered by this person saying to another: "Everybody works for this company (she said the name of our company) needs to share a lot of things in her life. We are a family." I was thinking to myself that was BS. Yeah, right, someone just goes around and gossips and complains about anything and everything and thinks that is good or necessary? I just ignored that person. I did not want to say anything to oppose that person to make the air in the office heavy.

Yes, it is nice to work for a company that everyone is caring for each other in a way to help with work, to talk to and to listen to a little bit, and that would make a good company. If people want to call a company with so many social butterflies, complainers, gossipers, back stabbers, a family, that is a dysfunctional family (and a toxic company). In good families, people love each other, help each other, parents never fire their children. In any company, the boss and the management fire people all the times, left and right, for good reasons, bad reasons and no reasons, or for some reason the management just dislike some employees plainly because of their (the managers') emotional, personal problems.

Well, that's life. People are different. You just have to accept that fact. I only stand up for myself when someone comes to me and attacks me directly. If someone says whatever to others, I just ignore all of them like they are not there. I want peace.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 03-30-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 PM

10,355 posts, read 9,382,296 times
Yes. By a manager who claimed I was unapproachable; although my coworkers had quite the opposite opinion.

I didn't sit at my desk with a smile on my face the entire time and apparently my manager took it personal and claimed I was not being friendly. This was a black mark she made on my annual review. So, for the next year I made it a point to have a stupid grin on my face (seriously, it was a nice grin) every second I was at work.

How did it play out? The next annual review she hit me with the same ludicrous complaint. I rebuked her opinion, and why.

It was just one of those no-win boss-employee relationships that was doomed to fail.

When a new manager took her place (thankfully), I was never critiqued that way again.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:16 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Yes. By a manager who claimed I was unapproachable; although my coworkers had quite the opposite opinion.

I didn't sit at my desk with a smile on my face the entire time and apparently my manager took it personal and claimed I was not being friendly. This was a black mark she made on my annual review. So, for the next year I made it a point to have a stupid grin on my face (seriously, it was a nice grin) every second I was at work.

How did it play out? The next annual review she hit me with the same ludicrous complaint. I rebuked her opinion, and why.

It was just one of those no-win boss-employee relationships that was doomed to fail.

When a new manager took her place (thankfully), I was never critiqued that way again.
Did you really? How funny! I would think she'd have written you up for insubordination instead.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 4,796 times
Non-business related conversations are a capital felony under Federal law within the workplace.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:56 PM

2,300 posts, read 2,683,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiujkl View Post
Non-business related conversations are a capital felony under Federal law within the workplace.
What planet do you live on?

Old 07-02-2019, 07:18 PM

5,184 posts, read 2,334,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
What planet do you live on?
Oh disregard the nutcase.

I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet that he's a nutcase that was harassing and stalking a waitress (from textual evidence) and she filed a restraining order and he violated it and got arrested, and every couple of months (runs out of meds? gets out again on parole?) he posts a bunch of this nonsense till the moderators wake up and nuke his account. Then we have a little peace till he goes off the beam again, opens up a new account, and starts posting the same thing over again.

The old line used to be, "on the internet no one can tell you're a dog" but it should be expanded to "on the internet it takes a while for everyone to figure out you're insane."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or